HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 2, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #19,846 of 21,867
Many thanks! Do you think that using a different cable from the female plug to the speaker taps will influence the sound? Maybe it would be best to prepare a new cable with banana or spade plugs on one side and hifimans connectors on the other?
So, Rodeodave, how did you like your HE -6s?

I may be the wrong guy to ask, since I don't believe in profound sonic impacts of cables. I believe in curve traced transistors, current-matched metal foil resistors and matched film/foil capacitors. Cables are way down the list of priorities, there are bigger fish to fry. A direct banana to SMC cable would certainly be nice to have (and it's very likely that I'm going to build one), but it's not going to matter that much.

That said, I think the HE-6 is pure awesome. And I really like that I get to build ridiculously huge amps for it :)

Any interest in the beast F4? Curious how that sounds. My F7 sounds incredible!

I have a full F4 (classic) kit lying around, and I've thought about building it up to see what it sounds like with the HE-6. But first I gotta finish some other projects.

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #19,847 of 21,867
I like the bass response, but not so much the treble. I feel the F6 had better clarity and no harshness up there.
My F6 DIY build is taking a very long time, though...

The quality of the bass really was incredible. It's the same with speakers, effortless low frequency detail. I did like the highs very much though. I'm seriously thinking about building a scaled down version with 2SK60/2SJ18 VFETs.

Apr 4, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #19,849 of 21,867
I have a full F4 (classic) kit lying around, and I've thought about building it up to see what it sounds like with the HE-6. But first I gotta finish some other projects.

Please please try them with the IXYS Hockey Pucks!!

DIYAudio thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/300233-f4-beast-builders.html

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #19,850 of 21,867
  Stax L700 (or SR-007) vs an HE6 anyone?

Your profile says you had Hifiman HE-6 and Hifiman HE-500. So are you trying to get them again or trying to convince yourself of the decision made.

Look like your current amp will not do the justice for HE6.

So why not consider HE1000? Much easily driven, more musical and way more comfortable and not out of production and no need to mess up with mods

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #19,853 of 21,867
I feel like HE-6>Stax for bass slam and authority

Stax>HE-6 for effortless and airy treble, or effortlessness.  

Not really apples to apples...

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #19,854 of 21,867
I used to have the SR-007 actually, but only for a couple months and I did not have a dedicated stax amp. Instead I had a modded Woo WEE and fed it with a variety of other speaker amps.

The HE-6 hits harder overall and has a "fullness" to the low end. The 007 has impact, but while I would not call it soft, perhaps it is less direct than the HE-6 and has a "flatness" to that midbass region. From the mids into the mid-highs, the HE-6 is fairly smooth if perhaps slightly tilted up without mods. The 007 has a bit of a papery character to the upper mids. Into the treble the HE-6 has a bit of a tizziness that I'd qualify as "tss", while the 007 has more of a "chh" (and the 009 slides somewhat in between but lower in magnitude). Speed and attack between the headphones is similar. With moderate amping I would say the 007 is faster, but the HE-6 has the capability to go higher.

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #19,855 of 21,867
I posted my first impressions of the Rega Brio-R amp (with HE-6) here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529873/amps-that-can-drive-the-hifiman-he-6-planar-headphones/4995#post_13400555

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #19,858 of 21,867
Have a question for about the HE-6 plastic ear pad rings. What is the correct way to put them back on?

They don't snap into place & it doesn't seem to just twist back on?

Seems I would have to squeeze the rings to fit back, is that the correct way?

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #19,859 of 21,867
I use a small tipped phillips screwdriver.  I usually clip in left first, then slide in the top clip, then bottom with screwdriver, pushing in and down at an angle, and finally the right clip.  Should be pretty easy.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back