HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 22, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #19,666 of 21,868
wrong thread

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #19,667 of 21,868
  wrong thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/572327/mission-replace-the-hifiman-ear-pads-with-other-brand-ear-pads

there I fixed your helpful post for you

Jan 22, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #19,668 of 21,868
Just got a pair of zmf eikons and using the spare pair eikon pads on the he-6 is fantastic, using those pads, with blue tak mod, regrill and some paper towel front damping, out of the mcintosh m2505. I have zero complaints.

Not hazy sounding like the audeze vegan pads, and is very very comfortable. Very spacious soundstage, clean, treble tizz gone, dynamic yet very smooth and surprisingly musical.

Jan 22, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #19,669 of 21,868
  Yeah I get what youre saying,I managed to squeeze the ring into the pad(with a bit of trimming of the ring)but now the pad is a bit wobbled/lopsided,not to mention the four connectors on the ring are deeply buried under the lip of the cup...How do attach the ring to the headphones when the pad lip is covering it....im utterly confused
confused_face(1).gif

I did the same thing trimming the outer edge of the hifiman rings and was able to squeeze the HM5 pads on.  After it's attached to the hifiman ring squeeze the earpad to make the leather wrapped around where the tabs are flush with the pad.  Then I slip two of the three tabs on easily and carefully use a small flat head screwdriver to push in and down until the tab snaps in place.  Repeat for the last tab and other side.

Jan 22, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #19,670 of 21,868
  Just got a pair of zmf eikons and using the spare pair eikon pads on the he-6 is fantastic, using those pads, with blue tak mod, regrill and some paper towel front damping, out of the mcintosh m2505. I have zero complaints.

Not hazy sounding like the audeze vegan pads, and is very very comfortable. Very spacious soundstage, clean, treble tizz gone, dynamic yet very smooth and surprisingly musical.

Nice. I'm getting extra Eikon pads as well. I'll have to swap them on when I get them. Did you use tape or a mounting ring?

Jan 22, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #19,671 of 21,868
mounting ring, I find that you may need to trim the outer edge  of the pads a by about a  1/3 - 1/2, in order for them to fit properly.

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #19,672 of 21,868
  mounting ring, I find that you may need to trim the outer edge  of the pads a by about a  1/3 - 1/2, in order for them to fit properly.

I'll just have to try tape as I don't have a mounting ring.

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #19,673 of 21,868
I wonder if there's anyone adventurous enough to try this instead of a preamp for their HE-6 on a speaker/power amp: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/l-pads-attenuators/fostex-r100t-transformer-type-attenuator/

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #19,675 of 21,868
Where's your sense of adventure?
tongue.gif

Besides, this is just something different. Speaker level attenuation rather than signal level attenuation. One could argue you get better SNR this way since you're keeping all your line levels at full...
ph34r.gif

I just wish there were actual published specs on this thing.

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #19,676 of 21,868
  Yeah I get what youre saying,I managed to squeeze the ring into the pad(with a bit of trimming of the ring)but now the pad is a bit wobbled/lopsided,not to mention the four connectors on the ring are deeply buried under the lip of the cup...How do attach the ring to the headphones when the pad lip is covering it....im utterly confused
confused_face(1).gif

At first I turned the taps on the plastic ring away from the mounting surface, but now I have simply cut them off. I have read that some cut off a bit of the pad lips in order to get the rings into the HM5 pads, but not anybody who cut the ring smaller (until now). It's best to place the ring inside the lip not pressing against the pad itself. True, the HM5 pad with old HiFiMan ring inside will still make the pad bend because of the stretch, but it's manageable.

Anyway, I - and many others - mount whatever pad to the cup using (sticky and soft) double sided tape, because it will seal the pad to the cup. No need for the taps on the ring.

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #19,677 of 21,868
  I wonder if there's anyone adventurous enough to try this instead of a preamp for their HE-6 on a speaker/power amp: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/l-pads-attenuators/fostex-r100t-transformer-type-attenuator/

Would I understand correctly that this is a TVC, Transformer Volume Control? If I'm not missing something, there're already some really good auto-formers/TVCs out there like the Bent Tap-X that're used just like that one is. The Bent Audio one will set you back $3000, but it's also a finished product and doesn't require any Jerry-rigging. There are lots of other TVC options out there if DIY is alright. 

Then again, maybe the angle here was that you can feed that Fostex TVC direct from a power amp and just attentuate down vs. the TVC from Bent Audio still being a preamp, line-level signal one? Is there a difference?

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #19,678 of 21,868
  Would I understand correctly that this is a TVC, Transformer Volume Control? If I'm not missing something, there're already some really good auto-formers/TVCs out there like the Bent Tap-X that're used just like that one is. The Bent Audio one will set you back $3000, but it's also a finished product and doesn't require any Jerry-rigging. There are lots of other TVC options out there if DIY is alright. 

Then again, maybe the angle here was that you can feed that Fostex TVC direct from a power amp and just attentuate down vs. the TVC from Bent Audio still being a preamp, line-level signal one? Is there a difference?

No, you've pretty much got it. The Fostex thing is a TVC at speaker level, while most others are at line level. Pick your poison; you can find pros and cons for both. The Fostex is actually at least a mostly finished product which isn't bad for the price. There are binding posts at the back so the only thing you need is an extra set of speaker wires.

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #19,679 of 21,868
I've been away from this thread for a while!  Reading through it now I see a lot of new experimentation.  Is there a concise list of recommended mods that have been distilled out over the last year or so?  Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #19,680 of 21,868
  I've been away from this thread for a while!  Reading through it now I see a lot of new experimentation.  Is there a concise list of recommended mods that have been distilled out over the last year or so?  Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

Mods I've done for this damn good HP:

1. Hardwired it with the excellent cable Zeus Quad21 from Aphrodite Cu29. Robert did a marvelous work despite his family crises. Thanks Robert!
  2. Remove the cotton on the back of the driver
  3. Replace the stock pads with Alpha Pads.

Pair it with J2, HE-6 simply has its place solidly among the top dogs - Utopia, LCD-4, and HEK. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back