HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 9, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #19,441 of 21,868
  After checking your mod, I think that might explain why you don't hear a loss in sub bass as I (and others like ohhgourami) did.

Since you have felt where I and many others seal the pads to the cup with double sided tape, you will won't be able to seal the gap between cup and pad. This in itself looses sub bass because the space between driver and ear isn't airtight (that's my theory at least). This could be why you don't hear any difference. This is a possible explanation.

Another possible / additional explanation could be that you are using a leather pad, while I (at the time I tried the full blu-tack mod) used the Audeze "vegan" pads, which are physically softer and delivers a softer sub bass than leather / pleather pads.

I get a significantly thighter sub bass with the HM5 pleather pads, than with the "vegan" pads, so I might not hear the same difference with the present pads I use where I to do a complete blu-tack mod.

Hey LarsHP
When you mention doing a partial blu-tack mod, how much did you use?

I've done the blu-tack mod a few months ago, and while the bass is tighter, I noticed the loss in sub-bass as well.  Trying to decide which I liked better.  Since I'm a pretty big fan of bass, I think I may like them better without the blu-tack mod.

If I could get the benefits of the blu-tack without losing the sub-bass impact, that would be perfect.

Dec 9, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #19,442 of 21,868
  Hey LarsHP
When you mention doing a partial blu-tack mod, how much did you use?

I've done the blu-tack mod a few months ago, and while the bass is tighter, I noticed the loss in sub-bass as well.  Trying to decide which I liked better.  Since I'm a pretty big fan of bass, I think I may like them better without the blu-tack mod.

If I could get the benefits of the blu-tack without losing the sub-bass impact, that would be perfect.

Difficult to estimate, but about two thirds of a complete seal. I should add that this was with the Audeze "vegan" pads, and with the HM5 pleather pads I might like it even more open with less Blu-Tack (or Pritt in my case). I do think this mod has something to it since the paste will dampen vibrations in the cup and driver assembly. In other words I think it's best to have some amount of Blu-Tack / Pritt in there.

The outer plastic ring where you mount the stock pads should also be sealed completely to the cup in order to prevent loss of sub bass. I discovered this when I didn't seal properly with double sided tape - and then lost a lot of sub bass. Then I took off the pad, removed the cut Audeze ring of tape, which left the gap between the cup and plastic ring open several places, and put my usual soft and sticky tape all over the mounting surface all the way out to the edge of the cup, and remounted the pads. After completely covering the entire gap between the cup and plastic ring, the sub bass was back.

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #19,443 of 21,868
  Difficult to estimate, but about two thirds of a complete seal. I should add that this was with the Audeze "vegan" pads, and with the HM5 pleather pads I might like it even more open with less Blu-Tack (or Pritt in my case). I do think this mod has something to it since the paste will dampen vibrations in the cup and driver assembly. In other words I think it's best to have some amount of Blu-Tack / Pritt in there.

The outer plastic ring where you mount the stock pads should also be sealed completely to the cup in order to prevent loss of sub bass. I discovered this when I didn't seal properly with double sided tape - and then lost a lot of sub bass. Then I took off the pad, removed the cut Audeze ring of tape, which left the gap between the cup and plastic ring open several places, and put my usual soft and sticky tape all over the mounting surface all the way out to the edge of the cup, and remounted the pads. After completely covering the entire gap between the cup and plastic ring, the sub bass was back.

Thanks for the feedback.

When you say the outer plastic ring where you mount the pads.  Are you talking about there being a gap between the pad itself and the cup?  Or an actual gap between the plastic ring and the cup?

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #19,444 of 21,868
Might as well ask here...

Anyone here have any experience with using Deoxit to clean the inter-connects on the He-6?

I have the HE-500(same cable connects as the 6) and have noticed a small build up of oxidation,and wanna get rid of it.

If anyone has used it,can you advise on how not mess up the little pin on inside?

Dec 10, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #19,445 of 21,868
Thanks for the feedback.

When you say the outer plastic ring where you mount the pads.  Are you talking about there being a gap between the pad itself and the cup?  Or an actual gap between the plastic ring and the cup?
I mean the plastic ring which is screwed into the cup which is seen when you take off the pad. There seems to be a slight air leakage between this ring and the cup. When I didn't seal that gap, I lost sub bass. After covering the whole mounting surface with tape, including the gap from the ring to the edge of the cup, sub bass was back.

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #19,447 of 21,868
Does the HE 6 best all other flagship headphones?
Even in gaming? Soundstage Hd800?
Bass? Mids LCDs, Bass? Th900

No of course not - and certainly not in all aspects. This depends on taste and preferences: no headphone will suit all listeners and genres.

HD800 is famous for it's soundstage and HE-6 is not on the same level as HD800 in that area. TH900 has a more v-shaped frequency response, and some will like that over a more neutral response like a well modded HE-6 has. I don't have the LCD-2 v2 any longer, but with HM5 pleather pads sealed to the cup, I think they are pretty close in bass quality and perhaps also quantity. In terms of transparency and openness that HE-6 is clearly better than the LCD-2 v2 though and has better and more correct treble.

However, I do find the (well modded) HE-6 is at the uppermost top level as an allround (open) headphone. I personally liked the HE1000 very much, but I don't feel the huge extra price was worth changing headphones for.

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #19,449 of 21,868

The best all rounder I have is the AKG K1000 Bass Heavy. But there are times when I prefer the sound of the HE-6. It'd be prudent to have them all really

this sounds right. my bass light is great...it's just bass-light. HE-6 will always have more impact, though. The original Stax Omega would be another all-time best for me. I haven't heard either orpheus but I assume they would take the crown.

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #19,450 of 21,868
I mean the plastic ring which is screwed into the cup which is seen when you take off the pad. There seems to be a slight air leakage between this ring and the cup. When I didn't seal that gap, I lost sub bass. After covering the whole mounting surface with tape, including the gap from the ring to the edge of the cup, sub bass was back.

Cool, that's what I thought you meant.

So I'm curious, sealing the driver to the cup with the blu-tack reduces the sub bass.  However, sealing the right to the cup (removing the air gap) increases the sub bass?  Why do you think that is?

My guess would be the sealing the driver to the cup reduces the space and chance to have vibrations in the driver (which can be seen as to why the bass is cleaner but less impactful).  Whereas the gap between the ring and the cup simply allows some air/space for the bass to leave without being directed/driven towards the ear by the earpads.  That's my rough guess, what do you think?

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #19,451 of 21,868
Cool, that's what I thought you meant.

So I'm curious, sealing the driver to the cup with the blu-tack reduces the sub bass.  However, sealing the right to the cup (removing the air gap) increases the sub bass?  Why do you think that is?

My guess would be the sealing the driver to the cup reduces the space and chance to have vibrations in the driver (which can be seen as to why the bass is cleaner but less impactful).  Whereas the gap between the ring and the cup simply allows some air/space for the bass to leave without being directed/driven towards the ear by the earpads.  That's my rough guess, what do you think?

That sounds right. Literally, the sound pressure level is less when the pad is less tightly sealed. So, double sided tape to face should be even better? No sacrifice is too small...

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #19,452 of 21,868
Sealing the driver to the cup closes the gap to the outside (the area behind the driver), whereas sealing the gap between the pad and cup closes the acoustic chamber wherein the music is heard and this will support sub bass.

That's my theory, but I can't tell if it's right. I just hear the difference between the two types of seal. As I noted earlier, I had "vegan" pads when I sealed the driver to the cup, but now I have the HM5 pleather pads.

However, there are several in this thread who has experienced the same: sealing pad to cup enhances sub bass and sealing driver to cup decreases sub bass (while tightening it).

Dec 14, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #19,455 of 21,868
  The HE-6 will be getting very little head time from now on...

Im sure your neighbors will absolutely adore you
biggrin.gif

What type of speakers are those?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back