HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 30, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #19,202 of 21,868
  post-vegan, what is the least skill- and materials-intensive mod?

Remove the stock rear grills entirely. If you're worried about dust, buy some cheapo nylon stockings from the dollar store and stretch them lightly over the opening, snap the retaining rings back on, then snip the excess off with scissors. Now take that leftover stocking material and roll some up underneath the pads.

Aug 31, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #19,203 of 21,868
Hmmm...  You DIY modders and tinkerers never cease to amaze me...  I have read suggestions for mods on this thread that sound so surgically invasive that they scare the bejeezus out of me... The furthest I ever dare to go with any of my cans is to change the ear pads and the stock cables, but I guess that may not even count as "modding" by the standards that I have seen on these threads...

Well, intrepid ladies and gentlemen DIY modders of the He-6 and everything else mentionable on head-fi.org, I salute your bravery and your skills with surgical...  errr modding tools
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #19,204 of 21,868
I will say I just received a second hand pair with the Ohhgourami mods, and the HE-6's are absolutely amazing. Right now they are driven by my ifi ican pro, and the sound floors me (even with junky pop music mp3's). Of course, I don't have any other amp or high end headphones to compare to, but I'm really digging these (just got the other night, so still evaluating)

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #19,205 of 21,868

Open grill mod is replacing with the stock grill with a more open (less obstructive) grill - but stripping out the gauze and wool on the stock grill will likely give a similar result.
I believe some do go naked though.
eek.gif

There's lots of examples of various materials in this thread. I went with the easily available mesh used in stationary document trays etc.
I left the gauze on my stock grill, so I haven't really compared the 2 directly. When I did the comparison it was stock grill/gauze with 'wool' to the grill below.

As you've probably found, the grill mod gives a more open, spacious and 'cleaner' sound.
I use the stock velour pads and I found the grill mod alone to be a little bright.
I've experimented with variations of the 'fuzzor mod' - applying felt to the inside magnets - which tames the brightness and improves imaging as well.
The full fuzzor mod reduced highs a bit too much for my liking and I experimented with variations of vertical striping and then quarter and half covering of the upper magnet bars.
My favorite (and current) setup has the fuzzor on the upper half per below.
The open grill mod and half fuzzor gives excellent balance with the stock velour IMO and for my 'taste'. I much prefer it to the vegan pads (which I tried and sold). YMMV.

Hi,
Thanks for your advice. Honestly, I've removed grill and my driver is naked. I think it has best result, but I need more comparison between the 2.
I don't have any plan to do fuzzor mod as I don't have any problem with treble. 
One think that I loath, is how frustrating it is to change earpads. It's really hard to install a new earpad and not ruining its plastic pins.

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #19,206 of 21,868
  Hmmm...  You DIY modders and tinkerers never cease to amaze me...  I have read suggestions for mods on this thread that sound so surgically invasive that they scare the bejeezus out of me... The furthest I ever dare to go with any of my cans is to change the ear pads and the stock cables, but I guess that may not even count as "modding" by the standards that I have seen on these threads...

Well, intrepid ladies and gentlemen DIY modders of the He-6 and everything else mentionable on head-fi.org, I salute your bravery and your skills with surgical...  errr modding tools
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the primary mods are easy and fully reversible:
1) change to "vegan" pads
2) remove the foam and fibres between the driver and the outer grill - and preferably also the outer grill itself.

The "remaining" mods are blu-tack and cable. These are not as essential as the two above IMO.

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #19,207 of 21,868
  Hi,
Thanks for your advice. Honestly, I've removed grill and my driver is naked. I think it has best result, but I need more comparison between the 2.
I don't have any plan to do fuzzor mod as I don't have any problem with treble. 
One think that I loath, is how frustrating it is to change earpads. It's really hard to install a new earpad and not ruining its plastic pins.

The fuzzor mod is probably personal preference - but I reckon its a great way of tuning the HE6 to your liking. The other advantage of the fuzzor is more precise imaging as it tames reflections.
If you plan to try the vegan pads I wouldn't recommend the fuzzor - definitely not full fuzzor - dulls the treble too much.

The early Hifiman pads had fragile tabs which could tear easily - later pads fixed this issue and have proven pretty robust for me. I think the early pads had clear plastic tabs(?) - but I never owned them. I've swapped my pads in/out countless times and the tabs are still fine. I find the pads quick and easy to swap.

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #19,208 of 21,868
If you're who hates harsh highs cause of your sensitive hearing, full sided fuzzor and Vegan pads are great for that.

Oh, the tabs on the early HFM cans didnt have clear tabs, they had one that were like the new ones, but broke super easily and never stayed on. Dont know why, maybe the shape and material of them made it crappy

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #19,210 of 21,868
Quick question in regards to resistors.

My current setup is:

Theta DSPro Gen II
Anthem 225
HE-6

with the addition of the Theta(which outputs an insane 4v+ over rca) I am now finding that I have very very limited usable volume knob range on my integrated.

I'm considering adding some mills resistor, but my question is in regards to safety, most of the previous posts on these have been in relation to sub 100w tubes amps, my amp makes over 200 watts into 8ohm, would this present a problem using a low wattage resistors?

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #19,211 of 21,868
Oh, the tabs on the early HFM cans didnt have clear tabs, they had one that were like the new ones, but broke super easily and never stayed on. Dont know why, maybe the shape and material of them made it crappy

The pad on the left below was the one I was thinking of - not sure if HE6 ever used that style?

Sep 1, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #19,212 of 21,868

My current setup is:

Theta DSPro Gen II
Anthem 225
HE-6

with the addition of the Theta(which outputs an insane 4v+ over rca) I am now finding that I have very very limited usable volume knob range on my integrated.

I'm considering adding some mills resistor, but my question is in regards to safety, most of the previous posts on these have been in relation to sub 100w tubes amps, my amp makes over 200 watts into 8ohm, would this present a problem using a low wattage resistors?
I believe 10 watt resistors in series off the amp would work. A better option would be to use the smaller resistors to attenuate the feed going into the amp.The tube amp issue is regarding the impedance matching for the output transformer of the tube amp. That went across the binding posts in parallel to the driver. It brings the impedance closer to the 8 ohms it expects to see.

If the Theta doesn't have a volume control, consider an inline passive volume device. I used one with an old CAL DAC until I upgraded to my Hilo. Then you can find the sweet spot for your amp and control your listening with the passive pot.

Sep 1, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #19,213 of 21,868

My current setup is:

Theta DSPro Gen II
Anthem 225
HE-6

You can use an RCA line level attenuator to bring down the voltage from the Theta to the Anthem like this one http://www.parts-express.com/harrison-labs-12-db-rca-line-level-audio-attenuator-pair--266-244.
However, I don't know how it would affect the SQ.

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #19,214 of 21,868
Did anybody play the BF1 beta with their HE6s? I did! Up until ive only been play Fallout4 and Halo5 with them, but playing the beta of bf1 made me realise how even more impressive the HE6s are as a head apparatus

It was bloody intense

Yup, it's freaking awesome!  Also loved the sound design of Battlefront..Thermal Imploder FTW!

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #19,215 of 21,868
Looking to trade for an HE-6 have a mint LCD-2.2 pre Fazor with custom cable and less than 60 hours(really)on them.

Message me if interested in swap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back