HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 2, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #19,216 of 21,879
  Hi,
Thanks for your advice. Honestly, I've removed grill and my driver is naked. I think it has best result, but I need more comparison between the 2.
I don't have any plan to do fuzzor mod as I don't have any problem with treble. 
One think that I loath, is how frustrating it is to change earpads. It's really hard to install a new earpad and not ruining its plastic pins.

Regarding grill mod, has anyone tried it with keeping the white wool inside? Without it, the HE-6's sounded a bit dry and lost its silky seductive quality to the mids. I thought it was placebo at first so switched back and forth and observed the difference. I've kept the wool inside but would prefer to not have it if not for SQ, due it aestheticsally not looking good with open grill.

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #19,217 of 21,879

Regarding grill mod, has anyone tried it with keeping the white wool inside? Without it, the HE-6's sounded a bit dry and lost its silky seductive quality to the mids. I thought it was placebo at first so switched back and forth and observed the difference. I've kept the wool inside but would prefer to not have it if not for SQ, due it aestheticsally not looking good with open grill.

I prefer HE-6 with Audeze Pads and some back damping although not the stock fiber.  I use a mix of porous foam, microfiber cloth and felt.

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #19,218 of 21,879
I was hoping some of you guys can help me with this.  I'm not the most comfortable with impedance matching and if there will be an issue.

I picked up a new power amp that has an input impedance of 19k.

My plan was to use my DAC (Audio-GD DAC-19 which has an output impedance of 10 ohm and output level of 2.5V) into my MAD Ear+ HD.  The MAD Ear+ has a passive preamp output that allows you to control a power amp.  However, it is a 50k pot (and therefore a 50k input impedance.

So my main concern is the 1/10 'rule'.  The DAC to MAD Ear+ is fine but I'm concerned with the MAD Ear+ to the power amp.  Because the MAD Ear+ has a high 50k pot going into a fairly low impedance on the amp (19k), will there be an issue?

I know ideally the preamp should have a 10th of the impedance of the amp, so basically 1.9k or less.  But given those values are usually with active preamps and not passive preamps, what (if any) is the harm or disadvantage?  Will the fact that the 50k impedance of the preamp in the MAD Ear+ be an issue with the 19k impedance of my amp?

My second option if that isn't ideal, is to use my Marantz 2245 vintage receive in pre-amp mode (disconnect the jumpers on the back and go from the PRE OUT into the amp).  Unfortunately I haven't found any numbers as to what the impedance is on the Marantz.

Thoughts?

Sep 4, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #19,219 of 21,879
  Looking to trade for an HE-6 have a mint LCD-2.2 pre Fazor with custom cable and less than 60 hours(really)on them.

Message me if interested in swap

You'd probably do better posting this on the LCD thread. Don't think anyone here would trade their HE-6 for an LCD-2 (but what do I know)? I wouldn't 
eek.gif
!!!!

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #19,220 of 21,879
  You'd probably do better posting this on the LCD thread. Don't think anyone here would trade their HE-6 for an LCD-2 (but what do I know)? I wouldn't 
eek.gif
!!!!

took several months but I traded a 1st gen T1 for an HE-500...anything is possible if one has patience :wink:

Sep 6, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #19,222 of 21,879
LCD-X would be an easier pill to swallow, and unmodded they're comparable in transparency; it's only with modification and a competent amp that HE6 can pull ahead.

Quote:
eek.gif
!!!!

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #19,223 of 21,879
LCD-X would be an easier pill to swallow, and unmodded they're comparable in transparency; it's only with modification and a competent amp that HE6 can pull ahead.

I owned the X's and sold them because I found then not to be transparent enough. Could've been the amp(s) they were paired with but I found listening to the X's like listening to music with a blanket thrown over it. Yes I modded the HE-6's but their sound signature to me is exquisite and they pair exceptionally well with my HP amp. Those darn variables...
blink.gif

Sep 6, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #19,226 of 21,879

Bought a DIY Firstwatt F5 Turbo today for the HE-6. This thing is ugly but it sounds damn good. Runs HOT , thank goodness fall is nearly here.

Was that the one from audiocircle?

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #19,228 of 21,879
Yup from AC guy was like 15 miles from me. It's a Rawson for better or worse given the politics of all that. Ugly, but it sounds great.

Previous amp was an Anthem 225i.

Chain is Jriver->Essence ST SPDIF out ->Theta DSPro Gen II-> B&K Pro5 Pre in passive mode->Clone Firstwatt F5 Turbo->HE-6

Sill new toy listening, but initial thoughts

Versus the Anthem:

Pros:
Sweet highly detailed treble, the anthem wasn't bad but it could get a bit dry & bitey up top.
Details out the ass.
Almost tube like quality to the staging, a bit 3D, not quite to that level , but some of the closest I've heard on sand amps.
The power output allows me to use more of the knob, which is nice.

Cons:
It honestly takes 30+ min to really warm up.
Speaking of which this amp is dumping heat in my small office.
Dampening factored cut roughly in half from the anthem, it def doesn't have quite the irongrip of death on the low end.
Not flabby by any measure just a touch softer/gentler.

Great now I need a better passive preamp.

Theta's 4v+ output has zero issue driving the amp over a passive.

Guy gave my some fancy schmancy power cable with it too, iego Type D I guess.

I really don't think I could beat this for the 5 bills I have into it.

I might drag the theta and F5T out in the living over the weekend and see how they do on the B&Ws.

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #19,229 of 21,879
  Yup from AC guy was like 15 miles from me. It's a Rawson for better or worse given the politics of all that. Ugly, but it sounds great.

Previous amp was an Anthem 225i.

Chain is Jriver->Essence ST SPDIF out ->Theta DSPro Gen II-> B&K Pro5 Pre in passive mode->Clone Firstwatt F5 Turbo->HE-6

Sill new toy listening, but initial thoughts

Versus the Anthem:

Pros:
Sweet highly detailed treble, the anthem wasn't bad but it could get a bit dry & bitey up top.
Details out the ass.
Almost tube like quality to the staging, a bit 3D, not quite to that level , but some of the closest I've heard on sand amps.
The power output allows me to use more of the knob, which is nice.

Cons:
It honestly takes 30+ min to really warm up.
Speaking of which this amp is dumping heat in my small office.
Dampening factored cut roughly in half from the anthem, it def doesn't have quite the irongrip of death on the low end.
Not flabby by any measure just a touch softer/gentler.

Great now I need a better passive preamp.

Theta's 4v+ output has zero issue driving the amp over a passive.

Guy gave my some fancy schmancy power cable with it too, iego Type D I guess.

I really don't think I could beat this for the 5 bills I have into it.

I might drag the theta and F5T out in the living over the weekend and see how they do on the B&Ws.

This is in a nutshell why I will never sell my HE-6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back