HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 23, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #19,187 of 21,868
I would actually associate the HE6s as the HD600s more expensive planar cousin. Both have absolute neutrality and vocal clarity like no other, and image superbly. But what the HE6 offers is unsurpassed clarity in frequencies that hit the limits of what the human ear can actually perceive. Which can be a good and bad thing. On one hand, a bass frequency sweep with shake apart the foundations of your skull (and maybe your headphones), while high frequencies and drill a hole in your ear drums. What you hear can depend on your amp and the earpads you are using. Stay away from the stock pads, for those are not worthy of a set of $1400 headphones. Get one of the Audeze earpads as an end game earpad for your cans for unsurpassed sound quality and comfort.

The imaging of these are on par with the 600s (maybe), but are more dynamic, and feel larger in soundstage. If your watching movies or gaming the added stage will be useful

Just to show everyone hears differently, I would like to offer a somewhat alternative opinion.

Firstly, against the flow of general opinion on this forum, I much prefer the stock HE6 velour pads. I tried the vegan pads, but really didn't like the sound balance, which I found out of sync with both the HD600's and my Harbeth speakers. FWIW, I don't care for the stock Hifiman pleather (does anyone?) or Focus pads either. 

I own both the HD600 and the HE6 and don't think they sound very similar at all - apart from both offering fairly well balanced sound. Though I do agree with your points of comparison: - the HE6 offers far greater top to bottom clarity than the HD600, especially from the midrange down; the bloomy (by comparison) bass of the HD600 is completely eclipsed by the HE6's awesome deep bass; the HE6 sounds far more expansive than the HD600 (and I think the HE6 offers superior imaging and instrument separation - particularly in depth). I also find the HE6's tonal detail much superior and it has a more grainless and pure sound in general. 

Given all the above I can't think why you'd say of the HD600 and HE6 are 'cousins'. They're quite different sounding headphones IMO.

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #19,188 of 21,868

Just to show everyone hears differently, I would like to offer a somewhat alternative opinion.

Firstly, against the flow of general opinion on this forum, I much prefer the stock HE6 velour pads. I tried the vegan pads, but really didn't like the sound balance, which I found out of sync with both the HD600's and my Harbeth speakers. FWIW, I don't care for the stock Hifiman pleather (does anyone?) or Focus pads either. 

I own both the HD600 and the HE6 and don't think they sound very similar at all - apart from both offering fairly well balanced sound. Though I do agree with your points of comparison: - the HE6 offers far greater top to bottom clarity than the HD600, especially from the midrange down; the bloomy (by comparison) bass of the HD600 is completely eclipsed by the HE6's awesome deep bass; the HE6 sounds far more expansive than the HD600 (and I think the HE6 offers superior imaging and instrument separation - particularly in depth). I also find the HE6's tonal detail much superior and it has a more grainless and pure sound in general. 

Given all the above I can't think why you'd say of the HD600 and HE6 are 'cousins'. They're quite different sounding headphones IMO.

I think too that HE6 can be seen as the HD600s more expensive planar cousin. HE6 is clearly better at most tech aspects, but then it comes to tonality they don’t sound that much different IMO.  

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #19,189 of 21,868
Hi guys, I'm newest comer to the he6 club 
bigsmile_face.gif

Something strange was coming out of my babyborn. As I investigated further, It seemed that real beast is in the driver. As you can see in the picture, it's something like wool.Is it usual to have something like this? I'll pull all of it out as soon as possible and will free the drivers

I must say that driver's code is 3121872, So drivers should be built in December 2013. I've bought these 2nd handed, Is there a chance that drivers have been changed?
On the other hand, my he6 has 6 screw on it's driver, so it can not be one of the earlier versions. It seems that there is some contradictory information here on head-fi.
confused_face_2.gif

Second question, my he6 color is black, I've seen purple one too. Does it mean that mine is from earlier versions? 

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #19,190 of 21,868
bigsmile_face.gif

Something strange was coming out of my babyborn. As I investigated further, It seemed that real beast is in the driver. As you can see in the picture, it's something like wool.Is it usual to have something like this? I'll pull all of it out as soon as possible and will free the drivers

I must say that driver's code is 3121872, So drivers should be built in December 2013. I've bought these 2nd handed, Is there a chance that drivers have been changed?
On the other hand, my he6 has 6 screw on it's driver, so it can not be one of the earlier versions. It seems that there is some contradictory information here on head-fi.
confused_face_2.gif

Second question, my he6 color is black, I've seen purple one too. Does it mean that mine is from earlier versions? 

That wool looks like the wool that's actually placed behind the grill. Not sure how some of it ended up on the outside, though.

Possible reason for you having black housing and 6 screw driver is the drivers were replaced. PM the owner and ask if they know the history.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #19,191 of 21,868
Do the LCD-2 pads fit "per se" or is a modification needed ?

Most of us install them by using the double sided tape provided by Audeze with the pads and affix it directly to the headphone.  I started using the HiFiMan snap in rings (stock units that come with the headphone and are used for the velour and pleather) but prefer the direct approach. 

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #19,192 of 21,868
bigsmile_face.gif

confused_face_2.gif

The wool wants out. it is trying to get out. you want to get it out.

That plus an open grill mod, vegan pads and felt mod will do your ears good.

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #19,193 of 21,868
The wool wants out. it is trying to get out. you want to get it out.

That plus an open grill mod, vegan pads and felt mod will do your ears good.

I took all of wool out. There was a thin fabric that had been glued to the grill; I removed it too.

What's open grill mood? Do you mean removing grill and let drivers be nakek?
Felt mod ?

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #19,194 of 21,868
Nah just cut a grill out of some more open type of grill material. I use office supplies such as paper trays that you can find made out of wire, easy to cut with regular scissors. I just use the stock grills as a template to get the size right.

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #19,195 of 21,868
But what you have there is pretty close. Not sure how much difference the material I use would be but it's cheap and easy so if you have 10-20 min it's worth an experiment. I've seen grey/silver colored ones at target that might look cool

Aug 24, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #19,196 of 21,868
Am I only one who has paired his he6 with nfb28?
Has anybody compared nfb28 with other amps in driving he6?

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #19,197 of 21,868
I took all of wool out. There was a thin fabric that had been glued to the grill; I removed it too.

Felt mod ?

I'm not using the felt mod for Audeze pads, but I am using the Alpha pads with a felt bass lens per Lars post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/493214/hifiman-he-6-planar-magnetic-headphone/5400#post_8309088

It was a tad bit too soft, but I just took out the quarter section of stock foam, and seem to have restored the balance. If I need more tuning. I may try the Audeze vegans in place of the Mr Speakers Alpha.

Aug 24, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #19,198 of 21,868

I think too that HE6 can be seen as the HD600s more expensive planar cousin. HE6 is clearly better at most tech aspects, but then it comes to tonality they don’t sound that much different IMO.  

Well, they are broadly similar by virtue of the fact that both offer a fairly neutral, well balanced sound - making them suitable for a wide range of genres (though the HE6 wins easily in this latter regard too).
Otherwise I find their presentations quite different - HD600 being more forward, narrower staging, fuller/warmer and less defined from the mids down, lacking bottom octave extension/tautness and punch.

Maybe its a matter of degree/perspective. For instance, compared to the AKG Q701 the HD600 is (much) closer to the HE6.
confused_face(1).gif

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #19,200 of 21,868

Felt mod ?

Open grill mod is replacing with the stock grill with a more open (less obstructive) grill - but stripping out the gauze and wool on the stock grill will likely give a similar result.
I believe some do go naked though.
eek.gif

There's lots of examples of various materials in this thread. I went with the easily available mesh used in stationary document trays etc.
I left the gauze on my stock grill, so I haven't really compared the 2 directly. When I did the comparison it was stock grill/gauze with 'wool' to the grill below.

As you've probably found, the grill mod gives a more open, spacious and 'cleaner' sound.
I use the stock velour pads and I found the grill mod alone to be a little bright.
I've experimented with variations of the 'fuzzor mod' - applying felt to the inside magnets - which tames the brightness and improves imaging as well.
The full fuzzor mod reduced highs a bit too much for my liking and I experimented with variations of vertical striping and then quarter and half covering of the upper magnet bars.
My favorite (and current) setup has the fuzzor on the upper half per below.
The open grill mod and half fuzzor gives excellent balance with the stock velour IMO and for my 'taste'. I much prefer it to the vegan pads (which I tried and sold). YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back