HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 21, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #17,645 of 21,868
From my experience the only First Watt amp I would put against any of the Pass Labs amps are the SIT amps.  Even then I would take any of the Pass Labs line of amps.  The SIT-1 is a good sounding amp thou.  The F1J is also a good amp - just a little lean compared to the above, but details galore. 

I would be very surprised if Mark would take any First Watt amp over the XA30.5 = INT-30A.  The F6 is more on the lean side crystal clear but on the lean side.  The INT-30A sounds more organic and has more full sounding bass, the F6 sounds more SSish - compared to each other.  

By the way if anyone is interested:  I'm thinking about selling my INT-30A / Abyss combo.  Only as a combo thou. :D

How does the simaudio moon 600i compare to these 2 amps .

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #17,647 of 21,868
I never had the 600i and the Pass amps in the house at the same time. I tell you what. That 600i is one hell of an amp. So are the Pass amps.

Thank you just trying to work out what amp i will go for after i have locked in a dac and transport i am enjoying Master 10 but will upgrade

Sep 22, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #17,648 of 21,868
Thanks a lot for Your fast replys. It' was very helpfull. 
There is only one thing left. I want to make a female xlr to banana adapter.
I've found one, but I don't know if it's ok for this kind of adapter:
4pin female xlr connector
1  -  left+
2  -  left-
3  -  right+
4  -  right-
Am I right? If I'm wrong then post here a scheme, please.

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #17,649 of 21,868
I recently re-acquired the HE-6 after previously owning and loving them in stock form.  I tried both the fuzzor mod and ohhgourami's inner felt lining mod for the audeze vegans and can say without a doubt that I much prefer the latter. Fuzzor seems to change the tonality of the HE-6 and makes a very noticeable difference, whereas the felt that covers the inner pleather keeps the HE-6 sounding nearly the same with more refinement.   I also felt that the fuzzor affected the soundstage and airiness around vocals in a negative way.

@ohhgourami for your mod, how did you stick the felt to the inner pads?  The cloth seems to be sewn onto the pads, so I didn't think I could remove that without damaging the pads.  I had a hard time just fitting the cutout into the pads by adjustment since it's such a tight fit, so I could only imagine the difficulty fitting it with a sticky surface.  Currently I just have the cutouts fitted on the inside of the pad with the non-peeled adhesive side up against the pleather.  It fits pretty well without wrinkling so I don't know if the sound is affected vs if I were to actually stick it to the pads.

Also, might be a dumb question for those that use the vegan pads, but what position do you guys have the pads?  I usually line it up with the headband and push the pads back towards my ears until the front of the pad is lined up exactly with the headphones.  This pushes the overlap of the vegan pads behind the ears.  I notice that if I don't wear the headphones in the perfect position, there is some treble harshness.  I haven't used the double adhesive rings to stick the pads directly to the headphones yet for this reason (sorry, still using the HiFiMan rings).

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #17,650 of 21,868
I have the pads centered with the double adhesive rings, and lined up the stitches with the screw hole. 

Btw, is it possible to rip of the audeze pads without ripping of the leather, basicly breaking them? I tried to rip it alittle off and the whole leather nearly went off... 
I want to remove the fuzzor mod.

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #17,652 of 21,868
Sep 22, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #17,653 of 21,868
How hard is it to remove the driver from the enclosure? I want to make my own cups for this ala grado

He,he,, I would be careful with that as I believe it was Tyll H. who inadvertently "fubared" I'm not
sure which Hifiman HE model.

I would be real careful trying this as I'm sure Hifiman won't be too sympathetic should things go terribly wrong.

Yeah , I think Tyll is the one to contact before you take that on ! (He will at least be able to tell you how it fell apart & maybe offer some advice on what to be looking out for)

Sep 22, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #17,654 of 21,868
I recently re-acquired the HE-6 after previously owning and loving them in stock form.  I tried both the fuzzor mod and ohhgourami's inner felt lining mod for the audeze vegans and can say without a doubt that I much prefer the latter. Fuzzor seems to change the tonality of the HE-6 and makes a very noticeable difference, whereas the felt that covers the inner pleather keeps the HE-6 sounding nearly the same with more refinement.   I also felt that the fuzzor affected the soundstage and airiness around vocals in a negative way.

@ohhgourami
 for your mod, how did you stick the felt to the inner pads?  The cloth seems to be sewn onto the pads, so I didn't think I could remove that without damaging the pads.  I had a hard time just fitting the cutout into the pads by adjustment since it's such a tight fit, so I could only imagine the difficulty fitting it with a sticky surface.  Currently I just have the cutouts fitted on the inside of the pad with the non-peeled adhesive side up against the pleather.  It fits pretty well without wrinkling so I don't know if the sound is affected vs if I were to actually stick it to the pads.

Also, might be a dumb question for those that use the vegan pads, but what position do you guys have the pads?  I usually line it up with the headband and push the pads back towards my ears until the front of the pad is lined up exactly with the headphones.  This pushes the overlap of the vegan pads behind the ears.  I notice that if I don't wear the headphones in the perfect position, there is some treble harshness.  I haven't used the double adhesive rings to stick the pads directly to the headphones yet for this reason (sorry, still using the HiFiMan rings).

Ugh I really need to scan my template so you guys get a perfect cutout. I keep forgetting to take it with me to work. No scanner at home.

Sep 22, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #17,655 of 21,868
Ugh I really need to scan my template so you guys get a perfect cutout. I keep forgetting to take it with me to work. No scanner at home.

I think my cutout fits pretty decently as it covers up the pleather underneath the pads, I'm just curious how you actually stuck it to the inside of the pads without removing the cloth cover (which seems to be sewn onto the pads).

But yes, I do think your template would be beneficial. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back