HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 26, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #17,236 of 21,868
  Jason,  you like your 445 / HD800 better than your KGSSHV / 009s? Very interesting.  I wonder if the T2 would change that, not sure.

If I could only have on rig it would be:

009 / KGST place holder for BHSE / TotalDac

I gave up my modded HE-6 because the Abyss (un modded) was better on all accounts.  I took the fuzzor mod off because the Abyss made the HE-6 sound muddy.  Removing the fuzzor mod helped, but still could not come to the level of clarity of the Abyss.  The comfort level on the Abyss is really getting on my nerves.  I can deal with the HE-6 comfort level.  I can leave my 009s and the HD800 on for hours... 

I'm going to make my own headband for HE-6. I'll buy some padding & microsuede and make it kinda similar to Audeze, just with better & more padding. 
HE-6 barely has any padding... Combined with the pretty narrow headband. I seriously have no clue what they was thinking, do they even try their own headphones on for hours? 

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #17,238 of 21,868
I'm going to make my own headband for HE-6. I'll buy some padding & microsuede and make it kinda similar to Audeze, just with better & more padding. 
HE-6 barely has any padding... Combined with the pretty narrow headband. I seriously have no clue what they was thinking, do they even try their own headphones on for hours? 

Have you tried bending the headband to the shape of your head? Any pressure points will cause discomfort. If you get even distribution around the skull, it's quite comfy. Then using Vegan pads add another level of comfort as they help support the headphones too.

Sounds like some of you guys need to do neck exercises...

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #17,240 of 21,868
Have you tried bending the headband to the shape of your head? Any pressure points will cause discomfort. If you get even distribution around the skull, it's quite comfy. Then using Vegan pads add another level of comfort as they help support the headphones too.

Sounds like some of you guys need to do neck exercises...

How is hotspots related to weak neck? :D
Weak scalp! :D 

Yes ive bent it as much as my weak hands could

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #17,241 of 21,868

How do you find the HD800 with your SS amps?

I rarely use the 430HA as headamp at the moment. The WA5 is running so well that I end up using the 430HA as a sanity reference for the WA5 and as a preamp - not much else. I find tubes a much experience with the HD800 and HE6.

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #17,242 of 21,868

How do you find the HD800 with your SS amps?

I rarely use the 430HA as headamp at the moment. The WA5 is running so well that I end up using the 430HA as a sanity reference for the WA5 and as a preamp - not much else. I find tubes a much experience with the HD800 and HE6.

Doesn't the 630lmw of power leave you short of  power with the HE-6?  I have a tube amp with that rating and another rated at four times that amount and the scaling on that amp is significant with the HE-6, but they really shine out of speaker taps from my receiver!  The WA5 is meant for high impedance headphones!

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #17,243 of 21,868

Doesn't the 630lmw of power leave you short of  power with the HE-6?  I have a tube amp with that rating and another rated at four times that amount and the scaling on that amp is significant with the HE-6, but they really shine out of speaker taps from my receiver!  The WA5 is meant for high impedance headphones!

In a word - no. Both the WA5 and 430HA have no problems driving my HE6 very, very well. I have compared to the speaker taps from my 150W power amp and I prefer the delivery of the headamps.

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #17,244 of 21,868

In a word - no. Both the WA5 and 430HA have no problems driving my HE6 very, very well. I have compared to the speaker taps from my 150W power amp and I prefer the delivery of the headamps.

Personal preference always wins!

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #17,245 of 21,868
I've heard the HE-6 a few times and have absolutely loved it. It's the one headphone I seek out at each meet. I never thought it was too bright in person, but when you look at the response curve it looks like it should be. My preferences are also generally similar to Tyll's, and he finds all hfm headphones too bright. I also owned the LCD-2 fazor for a while and DID think the treble was a bit sharp/rough, but I don't get that feeling from my brief times with the HE-6 even though technically the HE-6 treble is much stronger. Bottom line is I want to buy a new HE-6 but don't want to screw over a small business by returning it a few days later when I decide it's too bright. I also don't want to buy one used because I've had so many problems and have consistently found undisclosed issues with used gear that I am no longer comfortable putting down real $ on used items. I'm not sure there's much point to my rambling. I want an HE-6 but am paralyzed by indecision. 

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #17,246 of 21,868
  Bottom line is I want to buy a new HE-6 but don't want to screw over a small business by returning it a few days later when I decide it's too bright.

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that Hifiman is no longer a 'small business' per se, if that's what you're referring to... 

If the rumors are real they may be discontinuing HE-6 very soon, so here's some more pressure for you... 
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #17,247 of 21,868
  I've heard the HE-6 a few times and have absolutely loved it. It's the one headphone I seek out at each meet. I never thought it was too bright in person, but when you look at the response curve it looks like it should be. My preferences are also generally similar to Tyll's, and he finds all hfm headphones too bright. I also owned the LCD-2 fazor for a while and DID think the treble was a bit sharp/rough, but I don't get that feeling from my brief times with the HE-6 even though technically the HE-6 treble is much stronger. Bottom line is I want to buy a new HE-6 but don't want to screw over a small business by returning it a few days later when I decide it's too bright. I also don't want to buy one used because I've had so many problems and have consistently found undisclosed issues with used gear that I am no longer comfortable putting down real $ on used items. I'm not sure there's much point to my rambling. Bottom line is I want an HE-6 but am paralyzed by indecision.

If you do get a new HE6 don't judge it by how it sounds out of the box.
This headphone needs at least a 200hrs of playing in before it settles down. Initially I was quite disappointed comparing to my HE500's - HE6 had harsh transients, tight but anemic bass and just didn't sound coherent or musical/enjoyable.
Love the HE6 now - sounds fabulous driven by my Xindak or Khartago amps. Great top to bottom clarity, spacious, frequently conveys a 'wow' factor and sounds balanced with a wide range of music genres. It does have more energy in the upper mids/highs than, say, my HD600's - but the quality of the mids/highs is so good that this very rarely becomes an issue and usually related to poorly balanced recordings.
FWIW, I'm using the HE6 in stock form with the velour ear pads. (I should qualify my remarks - I haven't personally heard/compared the HE6 to other, mostly more expensive, TOTL phones).

Aug 26, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #17,248 of 21,868
One thing I'm pretty sure of is that Hifiman is no longer a 'small business' per se, if that's what you're referring to... 

If the rumors are real they may be discontinuing HE-6 very soon, so here's some more pressure for you... :wink:
I ordered a pair then salesman told me that they were doing last production run of he-6 after that no more so placed order for second pair and i was also told no replacment so the 560 and 1000 were the 2 top models .

Aug 26, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #17,249 of 21,868
Thank you. Now we should say it's not rumor any more. It's in the process of being discontinued...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back