HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 11, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #16,726 of 21,868
Cheers guys

A Interesting experiment this evening I disconnected the Mainline which I had been using for preamp duty, I wanted to see if the ACA would have enough gain to run straight from the 2.5v output dac for headphone use and it was a great success with the HE6 sounding simply the best I have heard so far. Both my HD800 & T1 also sounding very nice and I now have no noise all is dead silent (Mainline transformer perhaps). I am controlling the volume using the volume slider control on my media player which isn't ideal but hell the HE6 are really singing and its got me thinking about incorporating  passive attenuator in the enclosure  maybe relocate the led power switch and have a passive volume attenuator in its place.

atsmile.gif

Jul 12, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #16,727 of 21,868
Made some updates to my system and can't believe how fantastic the he-6's are sounding.

I've changed my DAC/premap from the Grace Design m903 to m920 - the m920 has given me a big upgrade in clarity/resolution and refinement.
Can't believe how much more open and coherent the he-6's now sound.

The improvement is very apparent directly off the m920 - but off the speaker taps of my Odyssey Khartago the he-6 now sounds positively addictive. Bass was always very good - now its awesome! Something has clicked into place with this combination, it sounds so wide open and gloriously musical on all types of material. Great stuff. 

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #16,728 of 21,868
Question for the hardcore HE6 users out there (just anyone on this thread?) - anyone that has heard the HE1000 and was impressed enough to make the plunge for the new headphone?

Any thoughts / comments on the comparison HE6 vs HE1000?

Appreciate any feedback - I am unlikely to get the chance to "try before I buy", so all feedback appreciated
smile.gif

Jul 12, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #16,729 of 21,868
  Question for the hardcore HE6 users out there (just anyone on this thread?) - anyone that has heard the HE1000 and was impressed enough to make the plunge for the new headphone?

Appreciate any feedback - I am unlikely to get the chance to "try before I buy", so all feedback appreciated
smile.gif

Further to this query, would the respondents please indicate musical preference.

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #16,730 of 21,868

smile.gif

My HE1k is most likely going up for sale in the next few weeks. Haven't had the time to do the mods I've thought of.

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #16,732 of 21,868
try a 20 dollars mods on the 2 : he 6 and hek.... sorbothane mod.... all is explained on the most important thread of head fi.... my he 400 exceed my basic stax system with this mod....The most important fact about headphones : they all vibrates and not one cie had solved  this problem.... This mod is extraordinary.... no cost, no time(few minutes) and are reversible in minutes.... read this thread .....

«DAMPING MECHANICAL RESONANCE DISTORTION OF STAX PHONES with SORBOTHANE»

smile.gif

the sorbothane mod apply to any headphone..... they all vibrates and this vibration pollutes the sound.....

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #16,733 of 21,868
  try a 20 dollars mods on the 2 : he 6 and hek.... sorbothane mod.... all is explained on the most important thread of head fi.... my he 400 exceed my basic stax system with this mod....The most important fact about headphones : they all vibrates and not one cie had solved  this problem.... This mod is extraordinary.... no cost, no time(few minutes) and are reversible in minutes.... read this thread .....

«DAMPING MECHANICAL RESONANCE DISTORTION OF STAX PHONES with SORBOTHANE»

smile.gif

the sorbothane mod apply to any headphone..... they all vibrates and this vibration pollutes the sound.....

never heard of this, what type of mod is this?

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #16,734 of 21,868

never heard of this, what type of mod is this?

i have put 7 patches of sorbothane on each ear-cups of the he 400 .... Before this mod i was prefering the stax basic lambda nova, but now  it was so better than i dont want to listen so often the Stax....incredible, simple, no cost, reversible... today i try the grill mod because many people raves about it...but this is only slight improvement and only cosmetics..... The sorbothane mod transform an ugly ducks in a cinderella for me....read the thread i recommend
smile_phones.gif
i prefer my he 400 to my stax now...this thread i repeat is the most important one i had read on head fi.....All headphones have the same problem identified by EdStrelow on his thread.....

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #16,735 of 21,868

smile.gif

My HE1k is most likely going up for sale in the next few weeks. Haven't had the time to do the mods I've thought of.

let me guess....the point is both new Krell and HE1k cannot stay......HE-6 has no ceiling

Jul 12, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #16,736 of 21,868

anyone that has heard the HE1000 

Yes.

Quote:
and was impressed enough to make the plunge for the new headphone?

No.

Quote:
Appreciate any feedback

My experience was severely limited - time with cans and under meet conditions. When I evaluate gear I'd really like to have a minimum 21 days...more if I could.  

Now that you've been passed a grain of salt - and I know others will chime in and give the dirt - my initial thoughts were as follows:

- As a die hard HE6 owner/lover, the HE1000 left me admiring them from a distance. Nice sound yet different. Not better but different. I could find joy with either.

- BUT...would not desire to own both and the '1000' did not move me enough to sell the '6' or pursue the '1000' outright. Some here have multiple cans inside their rooms but not something I'd choose to do. Recently shared this sentiment with fellow member 'ohhgourami' - I'd rather have greater time and intimacy with less gear and take my experiences with 'em to newer heights.

- Two tracks I'm familiar with (but not the two systems I heard the '1000' with) were Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" & Talking Heads' "Burning Down The House." Really enjoyed both tracks. Notes emanating from the HE1000 arrived with a beautiful texture about them. Distinct placement of instruments and in fact, ticked many of boxes denoting quality (usual suspects 
rolleyes.gif
).

But there was something odd to me about the sound stage. First let me add that I don't get too hung up on a cans sound stage. Yes, I would like it to appear coherent and not
tongue_smile.gif
liquored-up! But when I enjoy music I'm looking to make an emotional connection, not readily analyzing my gears and such. Sure, evals have their place. And my lack of time may speak to the strangeness I found. But the cans weren't really doing a whole lot for me at this point.  

Summary.::.My initials thoughts are these but could change with time and experience:

- Own the modded '6' but not moved (yet) to buying the HE1000.
- If neither owned, I'd buy HE1000 in a close "you pick 'em!"
- If I owned the HE1000, I'd scoop up the HE6. 
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #16,737 of 21,868
@TonyNewman In case you missed it preproman had made a very nice comparison in HE1k thread and I believe there's a reference to that post a few pages back in this thread. 

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #16,738 of 21,868
  @TonyNewman In case you missed it preproman had made a very nice comparison in HE1k thread and I believe there's a reference to that post a few pages back in this thread. 

Read it, but will hunt it down and read it again. I after more than one source of comparison, if you know what I mean. 3K is a lot of green to throw at a HP - I want to get as much good info on (modded) HE6 vs HE1000 as I reasonably can before pulling the trigger.

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #16,739 of 21,868
Totally sensible. I can never spend 3k on a headphone so it only gives me relief that HE-6 is by no means far off from HE1K (from what I've read, which is a little). 

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #16,740 of 21,868
  Totally sensible. I can never spend 3k on a headphone so it only gives me relief that HE-6 is by no means far off from HE1K (from what I've read, which is a little). 

That's where I'm heading as well. The HE1000 doesn't appear to offer enough advantage over the modded HE6 to make the purchase sensible (at least for me - YMMV).

Since I already have a large sunk cost in some nice amps to drive the HE6 (WA5 + 430HA) I might just sit this one out - unless I get the chance to try the HE1000 and it blows my tiny mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back