HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 8, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #15,901 of 21,868
Well, it`s happened.  The divorce is not finalized, the proceedings have begun.  The modded HE-6, out of my speaker amp, has seduced me and my commited relationship with this demanding German is coming to an end . . . 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/754300/sennheiser-hd800

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #15,902 of 21,868
rolleyes.gif

smiley_thumb.gif
 Sooo what can we do to expedite the proceedings?!

Team HiFiMAN; Sansui; Shindo Laboratory

Feb 9, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #15,903 of 21,868
Well, it`s happened.  The divorce is not finalized, the proceedings have begun.  The modded HE-6, out of my speaker amp, has seduced me and my commited relationship with this demanding German is coming to an end . . . 

Interesting! I sold mine too, I really liked them a lot, and for some things adored them, but then I noticed how little I used them after re-purchasing the 6 and eventually let the HD800 go.

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #15,904 of 21,868

Interesting! I sold mine too, I really liked them a lot, and for some things adored them, but then I noticed how little I used them after re-purchasing the 6 and eventually let the HD800 go.

Mannnnnn.   I'm thinking the same damn thing.  This is my third pair of HD800s.  Every time I sell them I buy them back.  You guys are making me think about selling mines really hard.  Now with the LCD-3F in the house, I hardly use the HD800s.  My attempt to like classical music is an epic fail - except for a few scores.  

I need to sleep on it for a few days..

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #15,905 of 21,868
It's a tough one isn't it!

For me I'm not hugely interested in owning a massive stable of headphones, particularly when I don't really want for anything with my HE-6. I'd rather put that money into trying more amps and DACs  and such like. I think with your INT150 you sound pretty well settled though, I think if I were in that position I would might be thinking more about keeping a couple of headphones for their sonic differences. I given up on trying to like classical though, that just ain't my thing (I'll just have to live with feeling like I must be some kind of cretin because classical doesn't move me).

...and who knows, both Dopaminer and I may yet have the HD800 in our futures again!

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #15,906 of 21,868
  Mannnnnn.   I'm thinking the same damn thing.  This is my third pair of HD800s.  Every time I sell them I buy them back.  You guys are making me think about selling mines really hard.  Now with the LCD-3F in the house, I hardly use the HD800s.  My attempt to like classical music is an epic fail - except for a few scores.  

I need to sleep on it for a few days..

To me, the HD800 sounds more impressive (esp for classical and acoustic instrumentals) but HE-6 sounds more like music. If not for the fact that I am very enamoured by the HD800's speaker like soundstage (I cannot afford to have speakers where my office is) and its superior comfort, I would have sold the HD800 rig a long time ago.

Instead, I bought another amp mainly for the HD800. LOL.

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #15,907 of 21,868
  It's a tough one isn't it!

For me I'm not hugely interested in owning a massive stable of headphones, particularly when I don't really want for anything with my HE-6. I'd rather put that money into trying more amps and DACs  and such like. I think with your INT150 you sound pretty well settled though, I think if I were in that position I would might be thinking more about keeping a couple of headphones for their sonic differences. I given up on trying to like classical though, that just ain't my thing (I'll just have to live with feeling like I must be some kind of cretin because classical doesn't move me).

...and who knows, both Dopaminer and I may yet have the HD800 in our futures again!

I`ll drink to that. 

To me, the HD800 sounds more impressive (esp for classical and acoustic instrumentals) but HE-6 sounds more like music. If not for the fact that I am very enamoured by the HD800's speaker like soundstage (I cannot afford to have speakers where my office is) and its superior comfort, I would have sold the HD800 rig a long time ago.

Instead, I bought another amp mainly for the HD800. LOL.

And you have the SR-009?  Wow, that is about the only place I`m interested to explore, headphone-wise....

Feb 9, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #15,909 of 21,868

And you have the SR-009?  Wow, that is about the only place I`m interested to explore, headphone-wise....

If you like the HD800 more than the HE-6 (which you don't), you will like the SR009 as it resolves spatial nuances and sonic textures in a very realistic manner and has more soundstage depth than any other headphone I've tried. It is extremely quick in the transients, rendering music with feather-like agility. It has more body to spatial cues than the HD800. It has deeper bass than the HD800 and probably the HE-6 (by a hair).

That being said, it has this "ethereal" quality due to its feather light nature which is certainly not for everyone. Some call it a "colouration". If you like the HE-6 more than the HD800 (which you do), just let me say this: the SR009 is less tactile than the HE-6, has less soundstage than the HD800, is much more expensive to buy and amp properly. The SR009 will not hit as hard or impactful as the HD800 or the HE-6, even the deepest bass notes hit with a slight "fluff" in the sense that they hit and run and there is little sustain. 

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #15,910 of 21,868

If you like the HD800 more than the HE-6 (which you don't), you will like the SR009 as it resolves spatial nuances and sonic textures in a very realistic manner and has more soundstage depth than any other headphone I've tried. It is extremely quick in the transients, rendering music with feather-like agility. It has more body to spatial cues than the HD800. It has deeper bass than the HD800 and probably the HE-6 (by a hair).

That being said, it has this "ethereal" quality due to its feather light nature which is certainly not for everyone. Some call it a "colouration". If you like the HE-6 more than the HD800 (which you do), just let me say this: the SR009 is less tactile than the HE-6, has less soundstage than the HD800, is much more expensive to buy and amp properly. The SR009 will not hit as hard or impactful as the HD800 or the HE-6, even the deepest bass notes hit with a slight "fluff" in the sense that they hit and run and there is little sustain. 

I think lojay hit that comparison right on the head.  

beerchug.gif

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #15,913 of 21,868
  For me I'm not hugely interested in owning a massive stable of headphones, particularly when I don't really want for anything with my HE-6. I'd rather put that money into trying more amps and DACs  and such like.

I keep telling myself this, and yet somehow I still have four Sennheisers, three vintage cans, two Fostexes (fostexen? fostices?), and a Beyer in a pear tree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back