HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 12, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #15,601 of 21,868
  Man, after listening to it out of my vintage Onkyo TX-3000.  I'm a bit blown away, how different it sounds.  I find that it sounds much more dynamic than I've heard of it before.  This is just out of the headphone output.  First time I've tried a vintage receiver with it, and never thought about hooking it up to it.  

It's nothing like I've heard before.  Everything just sounds more natural and realistic.  Probably the best I've heard of the HE-6.  Heck, the best I've heard of any headphone.  I had no idea HE-6 could perform like this.  HE-6 is a fantastic headphone for sure.  It does indeed need sufficient power for it to shine.  Such a drastic difference from lack of power to more power.  I just realized my 2 channel Beta22 wasn't supplying it enough power, and had no idea it could sound like what I'm hearing now.  

I don't think I've heard anything quite like what I'm hearing now.  

Now I'm curious, what other receivers others tried here?  

Pioneer SX-1980, also for the HE-6 via the headphone out.  I got it cheap as it was a US voltage version sold in Europe, cleaned it up and recapped it, still have to do the tuner section though.  Same experience as you have.  It's one heavy mother, that's about the only drawback.

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #15,602 of 21,868
You should try it out of the speaker taps if you like the headphone out!

I'm using a Pioneer Spec amp from 1978 at 310 WPC bench tested when I had it restored. Incredible sound. I read about the direct from taps and had no idea how good it could be. It's unreal.

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #15,603 of 21,868
Is there an advantage to vintage receivers compared to modern ones?  As long as there is sufficient power wouldn't modern receivers output same or better sound quality?  Or did I get lucky with the TX-3000?  I have tried under powered amps, and definitely lacks dynamics, sound stage, and low end.  

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #15,604 of 21,868
You should try it out of the speaker taps if you like the headphone out!

I'm using a Pioneer Spec amp from 1978 at 310 WPC bench tested when I had it restored. Incredible sound. I read about the direct from taps and had no idea how good it could be. It's unreal.

Now, I must try.
beerchug.gif
 Have you tried lower wattage taps to higher wattage and noticed a difference?

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #15,605 of 21,868
Man, after listening to it out of my vintage Onkyo TX-3000.  I'm a bit blown away, how different it sounds.  I find that it sounds much more dynamic than I've heard of it before.  This is just out of the headphone output.  First time I've tried a vintage receiver with it, and never thought about hooking it up to it.  

It's nothing like I've heard before.  Everything just sounds more natural and realistic.  Probably the best I've heard of the HE-6.  Heck, the best I've heard of any headphone.  I had no idea HE-6 could perform like this.  HE-6 is a fantastic headphone for sure.  It does indeed need sufficient power for it to shine.  Such a drastic difference from lack of power to more power.  I just realized my 2 channel Beta22 wasn't supplying it enough power, and had no idea it could sound like what I'm hearing now.  

I don't think I've heard anything quite like what I'm hearing now.  This is how music should sound!

Now I'm curious, what other receivers others tried here?  

It's a great moment when you really hear the 6 for the first time :)

Your post will make lots of us smile when we read it, and we're transported back to our own experience of that...

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #15,606 of 21,868
It's a great moment when you really hear the 6 for the first time
smily_headphones1.gif

Your post will make lots of us smile when we read it, and we're transported back to our own experience of that...

Yes, it's like listening to it for the first time.  You definitely notice it with better recordings.  I don't know why, but Eva Cassidy sounds so perfect out the HE-6.  It's like HE-6 was made for her recordings.  HE-6 is great for well recorded vocals.  

I noticed the most significant different when listening to Eva Cassidy and put me over the edge.  It's one of moments when you hear music you heard before with new ears.  

Another favorite album I like to listen to is Eric Clapton Unplugged.  I always try it with new gear.  Never gets old.  

And then, Daft Punk RAM, which is excellent also.  I have a selection I have to listen to when I hear significant improvement in sound.  Some music doesn't scale unfortunately.

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #15,607 of 21,868
Yes, it's like listening to it for the first time.  You definitely notice it with better recordings.  I don't know why, but Eva Cassidy sounds so perfect out the HE-6.  It's like HE-6 was made for her recordings.  HE-6 is great for well recorded vocals.  

I noticed the most significant different when listening to Eva Cassidy and put me over the edge.  It's one of moments when you hear music you heard before with new ears.  

Another favorite album I like to listen to is Eric Clapton Unplugged.  I always try it with new gear.  Never gets old.  

And then, Daft Punk RAM, which is excellent also.  I have a selection I have to listen to when I hear significant improvement in sound.  Some music doesn't scale unfortunately.

Yes, that!

I love going back through my collection and hearing stuff anew.

Which reminds me of course, I really must get my own more definitive amping sorted...

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #15,608 of 21,868

Yup - I totally agree..

beerchug.gif

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #15,609 of 21,868
I got my Odyssey Stratos Extreme amp with Klaus putting in the Kismet Reference board. Playing the HE-6 through the speaker taps (using the Burson Soloist as the preamp). Pink Floyd "The Division Bell" never sounded better. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #15,610 of 21,868
  Now, I must try.
beerchug.gif
 Have you tried lower wattage taps to higher wattage and noticed a difference?

Not yet.  I have a 45 wpc Pioneer SA-7500MKII I want to try out and have the speaker tap connection already wired yesterday so will try it sometime this week. 

Seriously.  Out of speaker taps vs headphone out is no comparison.  At least for me it was night and day.  Volume know when out of the headphone jack was way up but from speaker taps it was almost the same location as when I have my D7000's plugged in. 

Jan 16, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #15,611 of 21,868
It looks like I am about to join this circus.  Looking forward to being shot out of the cannon.  

I`ve just read the last 20 pages of this massive thread.   I would be hugely grateful if someone could give a short summary of the most common mods - I`ve never been interested in modding my HD800, but with the HE-6 it sounds like it`s an entirely different world.  

Cable, headband and pad rolling are self-evident to me.  However, I see there are grill mods, the `fuzzor` mod (?) and dampening.  If someone could briefly summarize these I would really appreciate it.  I can research them more on my own once I get an idea of what they are all about.  

d

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #15,612 of 21,868
  It looks like I am about to join this circus.  Looking forward to being shot out of the cannon.  

I`ve just read the last 20 pages of this massive thread.   I would be hugely grateful if someone could give a short summary of the most common mods - I`ve never been interested in modding my HD800, but with the HE-6 it sounds like it`s an entirely different world.  

Cable, headband and pad rolling are self-evident to me.  However, I see there are grill mods, the `fuzzor` mod (?) and dampening.  If someone could briefly summarize these I would really appreciate it.  I can research them more on my own once I get an idea of what they are all about.  

d

fuzzor mod - http://www.head-fi.org/t/692494/hifiman-fuzzor-mod-driver-backwave-felt-damping-modification
grill mod - http://www.head-fi.org/t/619447/hifiman-regrilling-mod

In short, Grill mod improves soundstage and grill mod along with audeze pads improves imaging. you can get audeze vegan earpads from this link http://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/earpads

These are three popular mods for HE-6

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #15,613 of 21,868
musicinmymind, that was exactly what I was looking for.  

Definitely going to do the grills and fuzzor, and also some kind of headband mod due to my pinhead.  

Many thanks,

d

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #15,614 of 21,868
I think the felt-mod (on the inside magnet) is the most important one here. I did that first: the treble is toned down and diffraction is lessened. However, treble is toned a bit too much down. Then I removed the fibres and foam from the outside of the driver. This opened the sound and increased the treble, but treble is less than HE-6 in stock condition.The sound is now clearly more holographic, open and transparent. In addition the tonality / frequency response is much closer to what I perceive as correct / optimal for allround genre/use. I also have the micro-suede / "vegan" pads from Audeze, but this "mod" is less significant than the above IIRC.

The only weakness I can find is the sub-bass. I hear a very obvious roll off under 30Hz (compared to LCD-2). In other words: When I listen to sine waves, I hear that 30Hz is about the same loudness as 40, 50, 60Hz and upward, but when I go to 25Hz and especially 20Hz, these frequencies are clearly lower than 30Hz. This difference is IMO not (only) beacuse the human ear is less sensitive below 30Hz.

I think this decrease is because the cup-driver assembly isn't airtight: This is (at least partly) what causes the SPL in the lowest of the low frequencies to be lessened. In contrast, the LCD-2 seal completely and have stellar sub-bass performance. You can feel the pressure / suction in the eardrum when you put on and take off these headphones and when you push or draw the cups while you wear them. This is not the case with HE-6, no matter what pads you put on, because the cup-driver construction isn't airtight. Well, all IMO.

If lack of sealing in the cup itself is the weakness of HE-6 and this could be modded, then I won't have to dream about other headphones ...

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #15,615 of 21,868
musicinmymind, that was exactly what I was looking for.  

Definitely going to do the grills and fuzzor, and also some kind of headband mod due to my pinhead.  

Many thanks,

d

Welcome to the party. Once you hook up these, you'll be introduced to things you have always thought were fantasy or snake oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back