HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 25, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #15,468 of 21,868
  @ ohhgourami

May I have some questions?
In your balanced Rag+He6 system, where is the volume's postion for loud listening session?

Thanks

if you're trying to determine how powerful the rag is by comparing how loud it makes the headphones go at a certain attenuation then you won't get any valid results since volume=/=power and supply reserve 
frown.gif

Dec 25, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #15,469 of 21,868
From my experience, the adequate amp for He6 can deliver all frequency even at moderately loud of volume. But under power amp can't so I have to increase the volume up in order to hear something that is missing....end up clipping.

So I think the volume position can help determine the reserved power of that amp indirectly.

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #15,470 of 21,868
Finally getting some quiet, serious listening time with Rag and Krell. They sound different when it comes to presentation, but I think they are tonally similar. Rag has more of an aggressive sound which made me think the additional slam came from warmth. Krell does sound more laid back, but I think that's because music is spaced differently. It seems like there's a lot more depth like you're in the same room being surrounded, but thing's sound a bit "hidden" and you have to focus a bit more. The Rag has everything upfront which make's things more obvious but feels less real. I think this makes the Rag sound cleaner.

I'd say they are both on the same level which already says a lot about the Rag. For all I know, my preamp could be holding back the Krell. Out of the Rag, my HE-6 is giving me a bit of fatigue. I'm not selling my Krell quite yet. I'll be holding on for a bit longer as I gotta figure out placement.

So for you guys on the fence about getting the Rag, buy with confidence as it is a top quality amp!

Very helpful. The less real and the fatigue parts do not make them sound like they are on the same level. The krell's presentation sounds more like what I expect of a higher end amp. amps that are too forward do grate on you after a little while.

Dec 25, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #15,471 of 21,868
I believe that's the Krell house sound, not necessarily high end. Some people like it, some don't.

Quote:

Finally getting some quiet, serious listening time with Rag and Krell. They sound different when it comes to presentation, but I think they are tonally similar. Rag has more of an aggressive sound which made me think the additional slam came from warmth. Krell does sound more laid back, but I think that's because music is spaced differently. It seems like there's a lot more depth like you're in the same room being surrounded, but thing's sound a bit "hidden" and you have to focus a bit more. The Rag has everything upfront which make's things more obvious but feels less real. I think this makes the Rag sound cleaner.

I'd say they are both on the same level which already says a lot about the Rag. For all I know, my preamp could be holding back the Krell. Out of the Rag, my HE-6 is giving me a bit of fatigue. I'm not selling my Krell quite yet. I'll be holding on for a bit longer as I gotta figure out placement.

So for you guys on the fence about getting the Rag, buy with confidence as it is a top quality amp!

Very helpful. The less real and the fatigue parts do not make them sound like they are on the same level. The krell's presentation sounds more like what I expect of a higher end amp. amps that are too forward do grate on you after a little while.

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #15,472 of 21,868
I believe that's the Krell house sound, not necessarily high end. Some people like it, some don't.

I don't agree.
I have discovered that as good and as clean as an amp can sound,
That does not necessarily mean it is true to source.(!)

These may be high end amps, BuT..

There is one aspect in sound which is challenging to all amplifiers and is mainly perceived by ear not measurement.

That is...
Being able to faithfully preserve the sonic cues which are integral to the proper perception and quality of soundstage.

This is a trait that comes easy for tube gear and many are duped into thinking is a characteristic of tubes which is the greatest deceit in audio.

If any solid state amp doesn't easily portray this trait that does not mean it's not supposed to be there...

So the greatest test (to me) of amp quality is to faithfully reproduce an accurate soundstage..
Not raw power or black background because that's an illusion of quality...

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #15,473 of 21,868
I don't agree.
I have discovered that as good and as clean as an amp can sound,
That does not necessarily mean it is true to source.(!)

These may be high end amps, BuT..

There is one aspect in sound which is challenging to all amplifiers and is mainly perceived by ear not measurement.

That is...
Being able to faithfully preserve the sonic cues which are integral to the proper perception and quality of soundstage.

This is a trait that comes easy for tube gear and many are duped into thinking is a characteristic of tubes which is the greatest deceit in audio.

If any solid state amp doesn't easily portray this trait that does not mean it's not supposed to be there...

So the greatest test (to me) of amp quality is to faithfully reproduce an accurate soundstage..
Not raw power or black background because that's an illusion of quality...

I specifically commented about the Krell not other amps. I never said that Krells are accurate, whatever that means. What soundstage you hear is only what the mike has captured and subsequently recorded. How would one know the true soundstage when one was not there when the performance was recorded?

Dec 27, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #15,476 of 21,868
  Ever since I got into this I've been searching for accuracy until it dawned on me that accuracy is only used by manufacturers and reviewers which I happened to be neither.

my thoughts exactly

Dec 27, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #15,477 of 21,868
I take back what I said! I'm keeping my Krell!

Rag is great for $1600 though. You won't find anything better from under $2000 and that's including stuff in the used market.

Dec 27, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #15,478 of 21,868

Rag is great for $1600 though. You won't find anything better from under $2000 and that's including stuff in the used market.

F1J are $1500 used
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #15,479 of 21,868

What are the shortcomings of the Rag compared to the Krell?

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #15,480 of 21,868

F1J are $1500 used
biggrin.gif

it also needs great preamp to make it sound great, so it should be around +2500$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back