HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 27, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #15,482 of 21,868
Dec 27, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #15,483 of 21,868
There were times I flip back and forth between the he6 & he560, both fully moded..
But in the end, the HE6 still comes out on top when properly amped..
It was a sense of transient prat and dynamic range which showed itself only on best setup, which my own oppo ha1 could not achieve.
With the oppo ha1, the he6 sounded more laid back and sweeter, lacking its pop and spark yet maintained excellent realism.
The he560 excelled on my oppo ha1 more than the he6,
But I knew what the he6 could do...

I chose not to have the he6 because of its demands, but also did not stay with the he560 either...
A friend showed me the paradox slants and I feel this is most satisfying on my current setup.
I go for realism more than detail nowadays and have to say the he6 & slants both have this quality of satisfying balance and realism. .
They make perfect compliment to an hd800 as and I would chose those two planars over lcd or any other except the Alpha Prime the only ones I haven't herd so can't comment. ..
Bottom line if you can suppy the he6 requirements you wont be dissapionted..

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #15,484 of 21,868
Rag is very 2D compared to my Krell. Missing that spacial realism.

Forgot to state whether you tried the balanced xlr headphone out on the Rag, which is supposed to be noticeably better than it's single ended headphone jack.
Unless your running off speaker taps..

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #15,485 of 21,868

how does Rag compare to baby Krell (KAV-400xi) ?

Rag is very slightly better. The preamp section in the Rag beats that of the KAV-400xi but Krell has a remote. Remote is really important for me but it might not be for others. KAV-400xi does space a little better, but it's weakness is the dispersive bass. Also the KAV-400xi has a highish noise floor that's easily fixed by using resistors on the output. If you don't need remote volume control, try to find a used Rag and sell the KAV-400xi. If you want a real upgrade, you'll need to double on spending if not more.

Forgot to state whether you tried the balanced xlr headphone out on the Rag, which is supposed to be noticeably better than it's single ended headphone jack.
Unless your running off speaker taps..

I don't have SE adapter.

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #15,489 of 21,868
  F1J are $1500 used
biggrin.gif

Very hard to come by.  If anyone sees one - they better grab it fast..

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #15,490 of 21,868

Very hard to come by.  If anyone sees one - they better grab it fast..

+1, I searched for months to find one, to no avail.  Even the clones are hard to come by.   Then I bit the bullet and decided to build one myself but locating the boards and genuine transistors was no walk in the park either.  Of course, 3 days after ordering all components, a used one became available.  If you see a genuine FirstWatt one, purchase it without hesitation, only 100 were made though, most owners took the F1J upgrade.  When purchasing a clone, ask for detailed pics of the components and look them over carefully, most are well built but there are some seriously unsafe implementations floating around too.  Best of all if you have time:  build it yourself.  Still not dirt cheap as good enclosures that facilitate construction are expensive but a very rewarding experience, you'll learn a lot.

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #15,491 of 21,868
+1, I searched for months to find one, to no avail.  Even the clones are hard to come by.   Then I bit the bullet and decided to build one myself but locating the boards and genuine transistors was no walk in the park either.  Of course, 3 days after ordering all components, a used one became available.  If you see a genuine FirstWatt one, purchase it without hesitation, only 100 were made though, most owners took the F1J upgrade.  When purchasing a clone, ask for detailed pics of the components and look them over carefully, most are well built but there are some seriously unsafe implementations floating around too.  Best of all if you have time:  build it yourself.  Still not dirt cheap as good enclosures that facilitate construction are expensive but a very rewarding experience, you'll learn a lot.

Would you mind PM'ing me details of the genuine J-Fets? I know where to get the board. Ta!

Dec 28, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #15,492 of 21,868
hey guys im looking to buy a new HP, the HE-6 are good with ambient music, Soundtracks like hans zimmer stuff? i have a bifrorst uber as source... i am between a beyers t1, he-560 or this ones.
Oh hell yeah. That music uses some powerful electronic and sub bass and the 6s are about the best articulated bass there is. But don't underestimate the current discussion of quality power.

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #15,493 of 21,868
well the thing is taht while i have a uber bifrost i dont have a good amp.. a little dot i+  and im not sure if it will handle at least for a while, til i get more money to a better amp capable of feed it with the current it needs.. lyr2 optional?

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #15,495 of 21,868

Users who are viewing this thread

Back