HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 29, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #15,286 of 21,867
Let me try the HE-6 with the 4-45 today and see if it sounds any better with my new MSB Analog DAC btw..

Does the 4-45 pack the gear to drive the HE6? My understanding is that it delivers only around 3W, vs 8W for the WA5.

My Taurus delivers around 4W into the HE6 - and that isn't enough. The bass is weak and the sound is thin compared to the WA5.

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #15,287 of 21,867

Does the 4-45 pack the gear to drive the HE6? My understanding is that it delivers only around 3W, vs 8W for the WA5.

My Taurus delivers around 4W into the HE6 - and that isn't enough. The bass is weak and the sound is thin compared to the WA5.

It doesn't - which is why the HE-6 is pretty much neglected now on my desk. Compared to other headphone amps I think the 4-45 does a credible job. As you observed, the bass is weaker (though well textured) and the sound is slightly thinner than in the WA5. Sounds less powerful, tactile and "full" as the WA5.

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #15,288 of 21,867

It doesn't - which is why the HE-6 is pretty much neglected now on my desk. Compared to other headphone amps I think the 4-45 does a credible job. As you observed, the bass is weaker (though well textured) and the sound is slightly thinner than in the WA5. Sounds less powerful, tactile and "full" as the WA5.

The 4-45 would have to be stunningly good on the modded HD800 to get me to part with my WA5 and give up what it can do with the modded HE6.

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #15,289 of 21,867
  The 4-45 would have to be stunningly good on the modded HD800 to get me to part with my WA5 and give up what it can do with the modded HE6.

It depends on your preferences - I felt long and hard but I enjoyed an airier sound which the 4-45 excelled at. I listen to music at office so the HE-6's thumping bass whilst exciting and lush vocals whilst alluring distract me too much when I am working and when I am resting between work at office. 

I've posted a review and comparison between the two amps here. I still think that the 4-45 is the more technically competent of the two amps but the WA5 the more musical and "tubey".

I plan to get a 300B amp (perhaps fully upgraded WA5 or WA234) when I set up a rig at home. My circumstances prohibit me having a rig at home because there is too much background noise where I live.

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #15,290 of 21,867

It depends on your preferences - I felt long and hard but I enjoyed an airier sound which the 4-45 excelled at. I listen to music at office so the HE-6's thumping bass whilst exciting and lush vocals whilst alluring distract me too much when I am working and when I am resting between work at office. 

I've posted a review and comparison between the two amps here. I still think that the 4-45 is the more technically competent of the two amps but the WA5 the more musical and "tubey".

I plan to get a 300B amp (perhaps fully upgraded WA5 or WA234) when I set up a rig at home. My circumstances prohibit me having a rig at home because there is too much background noise where I live.

Thanks for the details - helps to understand the context.

I use my WA5 at home exclusively, and my home environment is quiet (most of the time at least) - so the engaging sound of the WA5 + HE6 is perfect for me. I really do get "lost in the music" at times with the WA5 + HE6 combination. I have given up trying to read a book or newspaper while listening on this rig - the music pulls me away every time.

Nov 29, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #15,291 of 21,867

Depends on your preferences as you'd agree. No matter what you use to drive it, the HD800 still sounds like the HD800 but the 4-45 fleshes out its best qualities and the mods take away the bad qualities. I really enjoy it for classical music and live acoustic. Even when I only had the WA5, I felt that the HD800 is a step ahead for hi-fi / audiophile fare in terms of absolute realism. The HE-6 is still better for most music with modern mixing and post production because of its "body and soul".

Has anyone compared the Master 10 and the WA5?

I do not think one absolutely needs the Fuzzor mod. Otherwise I agree. My WA5 tube combination was sublime: AVVT AV32BSL, GEC U52 and Sylvania 6SN7W / Tungsol BGRP

I don't think anyone will have both the Master 10 and the WA5 together - unless someone lugs the heavy ass Master 10 to a meet. 

I have my HD800's hardwired from SAA.  I will never do any more mods.  I heard two different pairs of HD800 with the Anix mods.  They was not the HD800s I know and like.  It too away the soundstage considerably.  That's a no go for me.

I never heard the WA5 - but for me the cost of the WA5 after all the upgrades comes to a little over $6K.  For that money and just for the HE-6 I would go with a Pass Lab, Jeff Roland, Big Krell, (insert TOTL tube speaker amp here)  or other high end TOTL speaker amps.

Maybe it's just me - but I have a hard time believing the WA5 will beat out one of those TOTL speaker amps (just for the HE-6).  Now if you want ONE amp that can do it all - I have no doubt the WA5 would be that amp, because a lot of those TOTL speaker amps will be no good with other headphones.

Nov 29, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #15,292 of 21,867
  I have my HD800's hardwired from SAA.  I will never do any more mods.  I heard two different pairs of HD800 with the Anix mods.  They was not the HD800s I know and like.  It too away the soundstage considerably.  That's a no go for me.

I never heard the WA5 - but for me the cost of the WA5 after all the upgrades comes to a little over $6K.  For that money and just for the HE-6 I would go with a Pass Lab, Jeff Roland, Big Krell, (insert TOTL tube speaker amp here)  or other high end TOTL speaker amps.

Maybe it's just me - but I have a hard time believing the WA5 will beat out one of those TOTL speaker amps (just for the HE-6).  Now if you want ONE amp that can do it all - I have no doubt the WA5 would be that amp, because a lot of those TOTL speaker amps will be no good with other headphones.

You need to experiment with the Anax mods to get the best result. I currently use a half Anax mod with only the liner material. The foam, when it surrounds the driver, takes away the highs and soundstage and muffles things to an extent that makes it sound like a different headphone altogether. 

You are right about WA5's costs. One of the reasons why I sold the amp. 

I just tried the Mcintosh MHA100 today. Drives the HD800 pretty well and sounds extraordinarily smooth and warm as a SS amp. I wonder how it sounds with the HE6?

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #15,294 of 21,867

You need to experiment with the Anax mods to get the best result. I currently use a half Anax mod with only the liner material. The foam, when it surrounds the driver, takes away the highs and soundstage and muffles things to an extent that makes it sound like a different headphone altogether. 

I just tried the Mcintosh MHA100 today. Drives the HD800 pretty well and sounds extraordinarily smooth and warm as a SS amp. I wonder how it sounds with the HE6?

I won't be mucking with my HD800 any more, the hardwire seemed to do the trick.

That's very interesting about the MHA100.  I know musicman959 loves it.  I would like to try it as well.

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #15,295 of 21,867

I listened to the combo a couple of weeks ago. I decided right then I was getting one. I compared it to the WA5-LE (with LOTS of upgrades) and still preferred the MHA100.

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #15,296 of 21,867

I don't think anyone will have both the Master 10 and the WA5 together - unless someone lugs the heavy ass Master 10 to a meet. 

Yeah that is my current train of the thought too. WA5 sounds a fantastic pairing with the HE6s but is also very versatile and would be great with many headphones. I don't intend on get the WA5 parts upgrade, but will definitely play around with tube rolling. Have a couple more days to decide on the WA5 if I want to take advantage of their black friday sale.

Since I still intend on exploring speaker amps as well, I'll be matching one with the HE6 specifically.

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #15,297 of 21,867
"Since I still intend on exploring speaker amps as well, I'll be matching one with the HE6 specifically."
just remember, watts don't tell how good an amp would perform.... always try as much amplifiers with the he-6 as possible before making your choice 
beerchug.gif

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #15,298 of 21,867
Nov 29, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #15,299 of 21,867
  Trying out the new Brainwavz HM5 velour earpads.
http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-velor-memory-foam-earpad-suitable-for-other-large-over-the-ear-headphones-1pc

Listening on my Kenwood KA-7020 with a Stoner UD110v2 DAC, the bass is very nice and full. I think it's because of a better seal than the stock velours. Can't wait to try it out on my main rig 
biggrin.gif

I also prefer the velours. MP4 Nation sells them for $11.50 but Amazon USA has them for $19.50. For $14 shipped, might as well.

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #15,300 of 21,867
I had to order 1 at a time to keep the price under the threshold where I would have to pay tax.
For anything over $13.2 the fee you have to pay for the postal service to check the package is over $26 
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back