HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 29, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #15,301 of 21,868
  I had to order 1 at a time to keep the price under the threshold where I would have to pay tax.
For anything over $13.2 the fee you have to pay for the postal service to check the package is over $26 
mad.gif

That's highway robbery
eek.gif

Nov 30, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #15,302 of 21,868

That's highway robbery
eek.gif

No, that's typical for E.U. postal services.  Here in Belgium it's 30 USD if they have to file a declaration, taxes and duties get added to that if/when applicable.  Theoretically you can do the formalities yourself but that involves driving to an industrial estate 10 miles from the capital, wasting an hour filing paperwork and then trekking back to where one lives.  Occasionally when I'm building an amp I need components that are not readily available here and I have to order with Mouser or Digikey in the US, always a pleasure to receive 20 USD worth of stuff and to pay 40 USD in fees/taxes.

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #15,304 of 21,868
"Does anybody have any info on when the new version of the HE-6 is likely to be released ?"

and you want fang to do what exactly ?, use an even thinner diaphragm and make the he-6 even more power hungry 
evil_smiley.gif

not that I'd mind of course 
tongue_smile.gif

well..... maybe they can do a fuzz./pad/grill  factory modified version and release that as the new stock model
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #15,305 of 21,868
  "Does anybody have any info on when the new version of the HE-6 is likely to be released ?"

and you want fang to do what exactly ?, use an even thinner diaphragm and make the he-6 even more power hungry 
evil_smiley.gif

not that I'd mind of course 
tongue_smile.gif

well..... maybe they can do a fuzz./pad/grill  factory modified version and release that as the new stock model
bigsmile_face.gif

Making the weight a bit lighter would be nice!

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #15,306 of 21,868
  .... maybe they can do a fuzz./pad/grill  factory modified version and release that as the new stock model
bigsmile_face.gif

He could do a lot worse. It will be interesting to see if the HE6 replacement is better than a modded HE6 - it would have to be a spectacular headphone to pull that off.

How long after the release of the new headphones before it gets modded? I'm thinking days (if not hours). All part of the crazy fun
wink_face.gif

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #15,307 of 21,868
What's the consensus choice of amp these days on this? I just got a new speaker amp (Virtue One.3) and immediately fell in love with the HE6 again, so I'm in the market :)

I read something about First Watt, but it's too rich for my blood (~$1.5K is the max I'd go) and it looks difficult to get my hands on.

I also considered the EF6, but the reviews are not uniformly good.

How about the Audio-Gd Master 3 or Master 10? Appreciate any other suggestions as well...

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #15,308 of 21,868
  What's the consensus choice of amp these days on this? I just got a new speaker amp (Virtue One.3) and immediately fell in love with the HE6 again, so I'm in the market :)

I read something about First Watt, but it's too rich for my blood (~$1.5K is the max I'd go) and it looks difficult to get my hands on.

How about the Audio-Gd Master 3 or Master 10? Appreciate any other suggestions as well...

Schiit Ragnarok over any other beefy headphone amp I've owned (Master-9, EF-6) or heard (Taurus).

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #15,309 of 21,868
  Schiit Ragnarok over any other beefy headphone amp I've owned (Master-9, EF-6) or heard (Taurus).

Taurus does the best it can with the approx 4W it can put into the HE6, but that really isn't enough juice. Sound is thin and the bass is weak.

Looking at the specs for the Schiit Ragnarok - 10W into 50 Ohm should do a the job nicely indeed.

I use a WA5 to drive my HE6. That puts 8W into it - and that does an excellent job.

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #15,310 of 21,868

You could get a FW clone built for less than 1.5k,  the F-amps are very nice, clean sounding (especially the F1, incredible but perhaps a bit too much for some), lots of energy despite seemingly lowish power specs.  But obviously you'd need a good preamp or dac for volume control.  No idea about the Audio-GD amps, some big fans here but I haven't heard them and there are engineers that seem to find fault in their design.  What I can definitely say is that for me the EF-6 is NOT worth the money. I spent a couple of days auditioning it and boy am I glad that I didn't rely on some reviews and purchase it unheard.  No idea about the Ragnarok but it definitely costs more than 1500.

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #15,311 of 21,868

From what you listed the Master 10 will be your best bet.  If you can get your hands on a First Watt F1J that will be good as well.  I never heard / read about any engineers finding fault in the Audio-GD Master series design.  In fact Kevin Gilmore gives the amps a thumbs up saying the amps should cost way more than they do..  

In getting my Master 10 upgraded to the Master 10 (2015).  It's all about the power supply and audio GD pays real close attention to his power supplies.

Also you can go with a Odyssey amp:  http://odysseyaudio.com   Klaus will custom make your amp at your price point - what ever it is...

Dec 4, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #15,312 of 21,868
I use odyssey stratos extreme used from audiogon and its excellent, I tried the first watt J2 and I feel it lacking . I also tried a Sophia el34 and while it sounds excellent it does not have enough power.

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #15,314 of 21,868
Dec 4, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #15,315 of 21,868
Thanks. Any to recommend?
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't know much about speaker amps..

They have different sounds even different solid state amps. Some are accurate but may sound thin to you. Some are less accurate or transparent but may have that full sound. It just depends on your preference and the type of music you mostly listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back