HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 17, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #15,226 of 21,868
Okay, so after several months of hemming and hawing backing and forth y'all (is that a southern idiom?  Sorry for my Tennessee dialect), I am going with the HE-6.  The pricing on the 560 was tempting, but everything I had read from those who seem to know is that the HE-6 is indeed superior, assuming you can drive it properly.  Now, i won't be using a speaker amp, but I have more than enough on tap here to drive it, so I am looking forward to my first entry into the Ortho world!!!

Andrew

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #15,227 of 21,868
  Okay, so after several months of hemming and hawing backing and forth y'all (is that a southern idiom?  Sorry for my Tennessee dialect), I am going with the HE-6.  The pricing on the 560 was tempting, but everything I had read from those who seem to know is that the HE-6 is indeed superior, assuming you can drive it properly.  Now, i won't be using a speaker amp, but I have more than enough on tap here to drive it, so I am looking forward to my first entry into the Ortho world!!!

Andrew

And I look forward to your next post after getting the HE-6 which will state that you need a speaker amp..  
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
. Welcome !

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #15,231 of 21,868

Andrew

I currently own both.  Although my HE-6 is modded and my HE-560 is not "YET".  I can say without a doubt the HE-6 is the superior headphone.  That may change when the HE-560 gets it's mods done.  But I highly doubt it.  

However, if your using a headphone amp "of any kind" I suspect the HE-560 to get to about even with the HE-6 and be the better buy in that case.  

Another however, If you just "TRY" the HE-6 on a good / high quality speaker amp - that is where you will see the HE-6 scale like no other and leave the rest in the dust.  

This is where experimenting becomes experience and where experience defies logic. Or should I say defies Sound Science...

I'm not sold on the Rag being better than the big boys of the speaker amp world.

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #15,232 of 21,868

SD, a little OT here but what's with the J2...you abandoning the Stratos?

no no at all - the stratos extreme is being used exclusively with the he-6
the J2 will be for the speaker set up. will get a zu omen def or druid for it later on 

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #15,234 of 21,868
Joined the club. NEVER LOOKING BACK
This is my musical bliss :D

Nov 19, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #15,235 of 21,868
  Joined the club. NEVER LOOKING BACK
This is my musical bliss :D

Never heard of his Amp, I did try to look around and could not find the spec. what is the output watt

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #15,236 of 21,868

Never heard of his Amp, I did try to look around and could not find the spec. what is the output watt

It's a dac/amp combo on the down low. Chinese made. Not many in total were made. It's just...musical bliss :D If you want I can pm you the info :D
BUT it has otl outputs in the back and I can easily drive my floorstanding speakers with them. 

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #15,238 of 21,868
  "BUT it has otl outputs in the back"....yeah, you lost me there -_-

Ehh....I think the best way to put it is....It's a w4s dac2 + schiit ragnarok. I think I made a typo there...was on my phone. I meant btl outputs LOL.

Nov 23, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #15,239 of 21,868
I think the comfort of the HE-6 is decent - for me anyway. However, a member named Lohb makes a great suspension system that is usable for pretty much any of the early HiFiMan phones. Really nice workmanship.

Here's the setup - I've had it for two weeks now and coupled with the leather Audeze pads, makes the comfort incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back