HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 11, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #15,211 of 21,879

i like the treble also  so I might not do the fuzzor mod - I like the detail .

I did a "fuzzor-lite" rather than a "full fuzzor" - treble seems very good to me. Somewhat tamed, but still there when you need it.

Pic shows what I mean by "fuzzor-lite" - I only covered the vertical bars - not the surrounding areas.

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #15,212 of 21,879
Hi guys, I am in this well known triangle of HD800 / LCD-3 / HE-6. Did a lot of research and listened to HD800 / LCD-X (could not listen to LCD-3). Still waiting for a chance to listen to HE-6. However knowing all the HE-6 amping thing I would (if I go with them) get some vintage speaker amp to drive them. It will still be cheaper then LCD-3 with the cheapest possible option, so I am really holding off until I heard HE-6.. 

However one thing that bothers me - specs. Judging by: 

http://versus.com/en/audeze-lcd-3-vs-hifiman-he-6

It seems that He-6 has more narrow frequency response range, lower sensitivity while HD800 and LCD-3 have literally same parameters.. Can someone explain please if that matters and why it does / does not ? Not from "enjoy music / sound  not specs" point of view but from the tech point of view? 

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #15,213 of 21,879
  Hi guys, I am in this well known triangle of HD800 / LCD-3 / HE-6. Did a lot of research and listened to HD800 / LCD-X (could not listen to LCD-3). Still waiting for a chance to listen to HE-6. However knowing all the HE-6 amping thing I would (if I go with them) get some vintage speaker amp to drive them. It will still be cheaper then LCD-3 with the cheapest possible option, so I am really holding off until I heard HE-6.. 

However one thing that bothers me - specs. Judging by: 

http://versus.com/en/audeze-lcd-3-vs-hifiman-he-6

It seems that He-6 has more narrow frequency response range, lower sensitivity while HD800 and LCD-3 have literally same parameters.. Can someone explain please if that matters and why it does / does not ? Not from "enjoy music / sound  not specs" point of view but from the tech point of view? 

First, that site you link to is full of cr*p; no way the sensitivity of the LCD-3 is 130, it's really 91 according to the specs; HE-6 is indeed around 83 .  The 3Hz difference in bass extension is largely irrelevant as average human hearing starts at 20 Hz; the lowest bass note on a large organ would be about 18 Hz.  

Forget about all of that, you don't listen to a spreadsheet with specs.  Just go out and audition them with your preferred music and then decide.  I listen only to classical and although it's a great headphone, the LCD-3 is not right for me, not neutral enough.  Both need a good amp but it's true that the 6 takes more commitment if you want to get the best out of them.  Fwiw, I think your strategy to power them using a vintage amp/receiver is certainly viable; I drive my 6 via the headphone out of a Pioneer SX-1980 and it sounds really, really good.  But that's not a good example if you need to keep costs low.  There's a thread about amps to drive the HE-6, it's long but almost mandatory reading if you contemplate getting them.  And the vintage amplification thread is also worth a read.

Nov 12, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #15,214 of 21,879
Forget about all of that, you don't listen to a spreadsheet with specs.  Just go out and audition them with your preferred music and then decide. ...

+1. I could care less what the specs say - I know what sounds better to my ears - and that is the (modded and well amped) HE6.

The pity of it is that the stock HE6 is just a taste of what this headphone can be. When well amped I would rate the stock HE6 as very good, but I don't think it really stands out as superior to the HD800 and LCD-X. Do the 3 mods (fuzzor+earpads+grill) and you have an absolutely stunning headphone. But where can you audition a modded HE6? You really need an audiophile friend near enough to visit for a listening session.

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #15,215 of 21,879

Welcome to the modded HE6 club. It's just fantastic, isn't it?

I mentioned in the HD800 and/or LCD-X thread how I think a well-amped + modded HE6 kills those headphones and unleashed a torrent of defensive posts from owners of those 'other' headphones. I guess folks that have invested the coin in LCD-X and /or HD800 don't want to hear that the cheaper HE6 can run rings around them once modded and amped up. Oh well.

I own all 3 and there is no doubt in my mind which one is king, in almost any setting - the modded HE6 (fuzzor + vegan pads + grill removal).

I paid more for HE6 than my HD800 :) with lcd vegan pads,grills,etc, so I don't mind HE6 sounds better than HD800 :p

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #15,216 of 21,879

+1. I could care less what the specs say - I know what sounds better to my ears - and that is the (modded and well amped) HE6.

The pity of it is that the stock HE6 is just a taste of what this headphone can be. When well amped I would rate the stock HE6 as very good, but I don't think it really stands out as superior to the HD800 and LCD-X. Do the 3 mods (fuzzor+earpads+grill) and you have an absolutely stunning headphone. But where can you audition a modded HE6? You really need an audiophile friend near enough to visit for a listening session.

Thank you for reply. Could you maybe suggest which particular mods are the "must have" ("must mod"?) for HE-6? Their complexity will be a good way for me to decide whether this rabbit hole is deep enough to avoid :)

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #15,217 of 21,879
@ ZzBOG, Are you going to the NY Meet this Saturday? I should be there with my HE-6 setup, you can listen and decide if its worth it or not.

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #15,218 of 21,879
  Thank you for reply. Could you maybe suggest which particular mods are the "must have" ("must mod"?) for HE-6? Their complexity will be a good way for me to decide whether this rabbit hole is deep enough to avoid :)

The 3 big ones are (fuzzor+vegan earpads+grill removal).

These 3 changes work together - the best advice I can give is to do them all or none.

The fuzzor might sound like a lot of work - it isn't. It took me about 30 minutes per side to do my HE6 with "fuzzor-lite". Changing the earpads to Audeze Vegans takes about 5 minutes. Removing the grills takes about 1 minute. Some folks go another step and replace the grill with another material that is more open - I couldn't be bothered - and there is no grill more open than no grill at all.

I found that the modded HE6 is a significant improvement on the stock HE6. It was very much worth doing for me and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Below is the finished HE6 with vegan Audeze pads and seatbelt headband (for comfort - no impact on sound, of course).

Fuzzor Lite

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #15,219 of 21,879
Nov 13, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #15,220 of 21,879
nice looking pet you have there TonyNewman, looks cuddly 
redface.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #15,221 of 21,879
  @ ZzBOG, Are you going to the NY Meet this Saturday? I should be there with my HE-6 setup, you can listen and decide if its worth it or not.

try to get to this meet - cradon has an awesome set up .  if u try - u will buy ......

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #15,225 of 21,879

And yet another.  I have this comfort strap delivering to my house today from member Lohb.  I'll post up after I install it but it looks like an improved version of the Alpha Dog pad system from MrSpeakers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back