HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 30, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #13,126 of 21,879
You know what's funny?  Just by the way HifiMan products look, I didn't think to try it, because the design looks so ghetto or amateur.  I've learned not to judge the book by it's cover.  
wink.gif

Looks is one thing, and functionality is another.  Me personally, as long it sounds good, it looks good.  
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #13,127 of 21,879
Audeze and Schit have been the site's favorite hype for a couple years.

Yeah, the Audeze I don't know about but the Schiit gear I've heard I wasn't very impressed with.  But ok, it's a US/Europe brand thing I guess, understandable that there's some bias on the site.  

Have to say -on the topic of hypes- that some people in the HE-560 thread have also seriously been sniffing airplane glue imo.  New toys....always bring joy to those looking to purchase 'outdated' stuff for a song I guess 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #13,128 of 21,879
  Yeah, the Audeze I don't know about but the Schiit gear I've heard I wasn't very impressed with.  But ok, it's a US/Europe brand thing I guess, understandable that there's some bias on the site.  

Have to say -on the topic of hypes- that some people in the HE-560 thread have also seriously been sniffing airplane glue imo.  New toys....always bring joy to those looking to purchase 'outdated' stuff for a song I guess 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Like how they hope the HE-560 supersedes the HE-6 even though the price is less? Might as well hope that the O2 is the greatest amp ever made.

May 1, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #13,129 of 21,879
I was just listening to some nice piano, so natural sounding.  As I was listening, I could hear the minor creak sound of somebody moving in the seat.  
biggrin.gif
  So damn revealing.  I highly doubt this can be picked up easily with other phones.  This is not the obvious details that shows up like Glen Guild's humming. 

May 1, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #13,130 of 21,879
I am looking to buy a  used HE-6 with felt mod (done perfectly), LCD pads, and hardwired OCC copper cable with 4 pin xlr termination in minimum 9/10 condition.

If anyone has any leads- please advise by PM. 

May 1, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #13,131 of 21,879
Oh, and as an aside, had the LCD-X for a week and the HE-6 easily saw that challenger off to my ears and tastes. I think the hype train is a little out of hand where the X is concerned myself, listening to 46 and 2 by Tool (a track I use for imaging/instrument separation/sound stage adjudication - the recording of the drum track in the intro is a masterpiece) the X has a smaller sound stage and the clarity with which the cymbals are heard in terms of separation and imaging was very disappointing. That was via Vega/PWD2 and Taurus, all balanced in and out (and also SE output on the Taurus to see if that helped any), so realistically I'm not sure the Xs have a huge amount more to give even if the pairing isn't optimal, whereas I know the 6 will scale yet higher on a good speaker amp pairing (I thought the 6 on a Luxman integrated amp bested the Abyss off the Vega into a Liquid Glass for example).

Thank you. I was looking at either the LCD-X or AKG 812 to add to my collection, with the aim that whatever I buy should be a side grade & not down grade. I was leaning slightly towards the AKG until now & am leaning a bit more after your comments. I tried a friends LCD-3, it was a bit too dark / un-lively / dull for my tastes, hence was a bit apprehensive about LCD-X . There is no place here where I can demo TOTL cans, so research is the only way to reach a buying decision.

Do any of you guys own or have heard the AKG-812 & can comment whether it will be a side grade to HE-6 ?

May 1, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #13,132 of 21,879
Do any of you guys own or have heard the AKG-812 & can comment whether it will be a side grade to HE-6 ?

On an ordinary heaphone amp (tried Centrance hifi M8, Violectric V200 and Bryston BHA-1) its asidegrade but if you have a good speaker amp the K812 is a clear downgrade. The HE-6 rules.

See my K812 Review with extensive comparision to HE-6, HD800, LCD2 and Stax SR-X MK3 pro:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k812/reviews/10312

May 1, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #13,133 of 21,879
On an ordinary heaphone amp (tried Centrance hifi M8, Violectric V200 and Bryston BHA-1) its asidegrade but if you have a good speaker amp the K812 is a clear downgrade. The HE-6 rules.

See my K812 Review with extensive comparision to HE-6, HD800, LCD2 and Stax SR-X MK3 pro:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k812/reviews/10312

Thank you, that was just the kind of comparison I was looking for. Since I am going through that time of the month (experiencing  PTMMS (Please Take My Money Syndrome
biggrin.gif
), I shall look somewhere else for gratification....Hmm.... maybe a good OTL for my HD 800.

May 1, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #13,134 of 21,879

very_evil_smiley.gif

Helloooo....
we meet again today. Given that we are in the same subcontinent, we need to meet up in person 
biggrin.gif
. Seriously, all the hype in the 560 thread is what drove me this thread in the first place..... I owned the 500 for a while and sold it because I preferred the Audez'e LCD 3 over it...but I have always wondered about the HE6.... So to everybody on this thread, would I be adding redundancy if I bought the HE 6 in addition to owning the HD800, the Stax SR 007 mk1 and the LCD 3 ? My only genre of preference is rock so any input would be welcome....thanks

May 1, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #13,135 of 21,879
Helloooo....
we meet again today. Given that we are in the same subcontinent, we need to meet up in person :D . Seriously, all the hype in the 560 thread is what drove me this thread in the first place..... I owned the 500 for a while and sold it because I preferred the Audez'e LCD 3 over it...but I have always wondered about the HE6.... So to everybody on this thread, would I be adding redundancy if I bought the HE 6 in addition to owning the HD800, the Stax SR 007 mk1 and the LCD 3 ? My only genre of preference is rock so any input would be welcome....thanks

Owning the HE-6 and HD800 and SR007 MK1 and LCD2. (not 3 but listened to it extensivly) I think the HE-7 is somewhat redundant to your collection. For me it is, when well amped an alternative to the SR-009. So the SR-007 MK1 and HE-6 might be all I need to stay happy (nearly) forever.

May 1, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #13,136 of 21,879
So to everybody on this thread, would I be adding redundancy if I bought the HE 6 in addition to owning the HD800, the Stax SR 007 mk1 and the LCD 3 ? My only genre of preference is rock so any input would be welcome....thanks

The HE 6 & HD 800 & TH 900 (as you have the TH-900 too) are good complimentary HP's IMHO. I am not a fan of LCD-3 as you may have gathered from my post above & have never heard a Stax. The HD 800 gives you the sound stage , the HE-6 gives you the emotion & TH-900 gives you the Fun Bass. I do not find any of them a compromise in clarity with respect to one another  when I switch from one to another, just a different presentation. Maybe one is more analytical, another is more intimate & another is more forgiving of defects (you do hear the defects but they are not magnified).

Only caveat is - if you thought the HD 800 takes some effort to match with an amp (to get its full potential), the HE-6 is no less.

May 1, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #13,137 of 21,879
Helloooo....
we meet again today. Given that we are in the same subcontinent, we need to meet up in person :D . Seriously, all the hype in the 560 thread is what drove me this thread in the first place..... I owned the 500 for a while and sold it because I preferred the Audez'e LCD 3 over it...but I have always wondered about the HE6.... So to everybody on this thread, would I be adding redundancy if I bought the HE 6 in addition to owning the HD800, the Stax SR 007 mk1 and the LCD 3 ? My only genre of preference is rock so any input would be welcome....thanks

Yes, you'll be adding redundancy - once you have the 6 the LCD-3 becomes redundant (possibly the HD800 too, for that matter, although I still like having mine as a counterpoint to the 6).

May 1, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #13,139 of 21,879
Owning the HE-6 and HD800 and SR007 MK1 and LCD2. (not 3 but listened to it extensivly) I think the HE-7 is somewhat redundant to your collection. For me it is, when well amped an alternative to the SR-009. So the SR-007 MK1 and HE-6 might be all I need to stay happy (nearly) forever.

Amping is an issue. With the Stax I have the KGSShv so I'm completely set there. With non-electrostats, I have the Gungnir/Mjolnir stack but I think I could do better. I don't like the HD 800 with this stack hence I got the Zana Deux (with the Bottlehead Crack on the way !). If I get the 6, I'll try the ZD and then take it from there.

The HE 6 & HD 800 & TH 900 are good complimentary HP's IMHO. I am not a fan of LCD-3 as you may have gathered from my post above & have never heard a Stax. The HD 800 gives you the sound stage , the HE-6 gives you the emotion & TH-900 gives you the Fun Bass. I do not find any of them a compromise in clarity with respect to one another  when I switch from one to another, just a different presentation. Maybe one is more analytical, another is more intimate & another is more forgiving of defects (you do hear the defects but they are not glossed over).

Only caveat is - if you thought the HD 800 takes some effort to match with an amp (to get its full potential), the HE-6 is no less.

Punit, didn't realize you had the 6! Since you are into tube amps, what do you think of the ZD for the 6?

Yes, you'll be adding redundancy - once you have the 6 the LCD-3 becomes redundant (possibly the HD800 too, for that matter, although I still like having mine as a counterpoint to the 6).

I take it that you prefer the 6 to the LCD-3 then?

May 1, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #13,140 of 21,879
  Helloooo....
we meet again today. Given that we are in the same subcontinent, we need to meet up in person 
biggrin.gif
. Seriously, all the hype in the 560 thread is what drove me this thread in the first place..... I owned the 500 for a while and sold it because I preferred the Audez'e LCD 3 over it...but I have always wondered about the HE6.... So to everybody on this thread, would I be adding redundancy if I bought the HE 6 in addition to owning the HD800, the Stax SR 007 mk1 and the LCD 3 ? My only genre of preference is rock so any input would be welcome....thanks

Well, you're welcome at my place in Delhi anytime to have a cool one (summer's starting to really kick in over here) and end may/beginning june I'll be on a business trip to Chennai, Bangalore and Kochi.  My wife'll be in Europe anyway so I might stay a couple of days longer in Chennai, or make a detour to Swamimalai, want to get another bronze statue (the real stuff, not those produced in UP).  Or relax at the Oberoi on Marine drive in Mumbai, very good Italian there.

Of the headphones you mention I only own the HD-800 and HE-6 and to my ears there's no redundancy there (but caution, I listen to classical and some jazz/blues).  The HD-800 win if I want giant soundstage and ultra detail/separation.  Overall I prefer the 6 though.  Very visceral bass and well...just extremely good overall if it gets fed well.  I could imagine that for rock it would also win over the Senn.  I've heard from a couple of people now that properly amped they're worthy competitors for the Stax SR-009 (and at the fraction of the price to boot), will try giving the Stax an audition next time I'm in Europe, hopefully that'll cure the itch :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back