HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 28, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #13,081 of 21,879
  It's strange that my regrilling mod is only being picked up full-force by the HE6 community, well over a year after I documented it. I guess you guys are a wary bunch 
wink.gif

Hey, I redid mine ages ago
cool.gif
Maybe one of the earliest?

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #13,082 of 21,879
I don't know if the HE6 would fare well with tubes(I guess depends on the tube amp, Mr. Speakers had a very nice sounding tube amp for his Alpha Dogs though), but I personally think it doesn't need tubes.  It provides natural tones on it's own.

I personally think a good SS amp is what this needs, and the HE-6 will handle the rest for you.  Typically, people think SS is cold sounding than tubes, but HE-6 is different, the SS will give it the sharp details and HE-6 will provide the natural tones.  Just give it enough power to do it's job.

So, what DACs are you guys using, and which do you guys think brings out the most clarity or details?  I think DACs are very important in the chain, once you have transparent phones and amp.

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #13,083 of 21,879
Tubes or not for the HE-6 is just a matter of individual taste imo, just like with any headphone.  But what's sure is that its power requirements risk turning tube amplification for it into a (very) expensive proposition,seriously  more so than when sticking to SS.

I'm not familiar with the WA-6 but did run my HE-6 from my dual mono DV-337 tube amp.  It's been souped up a bit from the stock model with a better power supply, topology, caps...., basically uses 6AS7*/6080 or equivalent power tubes and 6SJ7 rectifiers.  Even with high gain tubes it's not optimal.  I mean, you get 'good' quality sound out of it and it goes relatively high in volume without clipping...but there's a brittleness in the treble and the bass is not as full as it should be.  A tube amp that can drive it to potential would require a serious investment imo.

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #13,084 of 21,879

So, what DACs are you guys using, and which do you guys think brings out the most clarity or details?  I think DACs are very important in the chain, once you have transparent phones and amp.

Lynx Hilo here. Love it. 

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #13,087 of 21,879
  Why did you decide on this particular DAC?

I tend to be one of those guys who obsessively researches things to a point beyond anything resembling sanity. I had a Yulong D100 Mk1 that I really liked, and as I upgraded the rest of my system (and ran into some computer problems that forced me to change around my setup), I began to consider upgrading my DAC to something else. So I spent over a year and a half reading extensively, and decided that my criteria for a DAC would be the following: sound quality, USB input, balanced output, ADC functionality (for ripping my vinyl collection), a track record of strong support and updates, and to a lesser degree having a quality headphone amp built-in, and support for DSD.

I kept reading and comparing, and while I found a lot of great reviews of DACs out there, I found that the Hilo was one of the only ones that I never found a bad review on (and I think I may literally have read every single post or review in the English language on it at one point). It was held in high regard by both audiophiles and audio professionals (check out Gearslutz for reviews on it sometime) and appeared to check all my boxes (except for remote, which they subsequently added via firmware update). The problem, though, was that the price was considerably beyond what I could reasonably afford to spend at the time, so I got a Meier Audio Daccord instead as a stopgap. Great DAC, but a bit too smooth for my tastes (crunchy metal guitars should have texture and bite to 'em!).

Work went well in Q4 and Q1, and I was able to accumulate enough to purchase the Hilo (and a few other toys). Haven't regretted it for a single moment since. The ludicrous amount of functionality can be intimidating at times (I have zero background in pro audio), but it has really come in handy a few times, and has made my DAC the jack-of-all-trades center of my entire system. 

Might be more info here than you wanted, but hey, you asked :wink:. I'd also say that I'm not the only one who loves it with the HE-6 (looking at you, Happy Camper!). Hope this helps!

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #13,088 of 21,879
The Hilo looks like nice, no frills professional piece of kit provided you've got a use for the A->D functionality which you obviously do but I can imagine most people wouldn't.  Would you still have purchased it in case you didn't need that?  I'm passively on the lookout for something a bit more neutral than my V800 (otherwise very good but not the ultimate in resolution) but came to the conclusion that I'd need to spend A LOT of cash (>3k USD) to do substantially better.  Of course if someone can prove me wrong I'm all ears.  Looking for neutrality, resolution and transparency.  Doesn't need to have the latest and greatest in filters etc but functionality that would allow me to select the level of up sampling or deactivate it totally would be nice, as well as a hardware solution that enables me to set output gain.  Oh, and XLR out connectivity.

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #13,090 of 21,879
  Was this a response to my Woo WASE6 comment? It certainly gets very loud without clipping. What potential is is missing?

Question wasn't addressed to me but see my reply above and my experience with my tube amp and the HE-6.  

Plenty loud without clipping is one thing but I've found out -despite all the SPL/sensitivity etc calculations- that doesn't mean they sound their best.  I see it with my tube amp, I even experience it with my 2.75 W into 50 Ohm V200.  The HE-6 sound nice...but if you connect them to something more powerful the difference in the bass and treble becomes apparent.  Don't ask me to explain this, perhaps it's just a matter of voltage swing, perhaps it's something else, I don't know.  Used to be extremely skeptical about this myself until I heard the difference.

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #13,091 of 21,879
  Was this a response to my Woo WASE6 comment? It certainly gets very loud without clipping. What potential is is missing?

I have the WA22 & it seems to drive the HE-6 well & then I tried them on my Tube Speaker Amp.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/493214/hifiman-he-6-planar-magnetic-headphone/13020#post_10478555

It sounds more dynamic with better quality Bass (depth & texture) also I can hear more details & Sound stage has more depth. But this comparison is from memory, I haven't heard the HE 6 with WA22  after I tried them on the speaker amp. Today I will do a direct side by side A/B comparison between the 2 & reconfirm whether my above impression based on auditory memory  is correct .

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #13,092 of 21,879
  I don't know if the HE6 would fare well with tubes(I guess depends on the tube amp, Mr. Speakers had a very nice sounding tube amp for his Alpha Dogs though), but I personally think it doesn't need tubes.  It provides natural tones on it's own.

I personally think a good SS amp is what this needs, and the HE-6 will handle the rest for you.  Typically, people think SS is cold sounding than tubes, but HE-6 is different, the SS will give it the sharp details and HE-6 will provide the natural tones.  Just give it enough power to do it's job.

Perhaps... but I know otherwise. I'm driving the HE-6 with a pair of tube mono blocks and getting beautiful tone in return.

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #13,093 of 21,879
Hi guys, I currently own a pair of he-500's hooked up to an Emotiva Mini, and would like to know if stepping up to the he-6 is a side step or clear upgrade - if using the mini.

I'm very happy with the he-500s, just got the itch as there's a pair going for a good price.

I listen to movie scores, ambient and progressive trance music.

Thanks a bunch :wink:

Apr 29, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #13,094 of 21,879
  I tried driving my HE-6 by a Woo WA6SE today and it certainly could get loud without clipping. I wonder if there is still some loss of clarity or bass impact if the Woo isn't powerful enough. I'll have to compare carefully to the EF6. I mean, the Woo seemed powerful based on the volume it reached, but it may have been lacking something subtle. 

EDIT; by the way anyone else tried a Woo WA6SE with the HE-6?

I had a Woo6 SE when I first bought my HE6's. Certainly went loud enough with no clipping. It seemed to have a clear clean presentation, however it sounded quite thin and lacked dynamics and bass.

The Woo was sold shortly after my Master-6 arrived

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #13,095 of 21,879
Hi guys, I currently own a pair of he-500's hooked up to an Emotiva Mini, and would like to know if stepping up to the he-6 is a side step or clear upgrade - if using the mini.

I'm very happy with the he-500s, just got the itch as there's a pair going for a good price.

I listen to movie scores, ambient and progressive trance music.

Thanks a bunch
wink.gif

The Emo mini is a great "starter amp" for the HE-6.  So you may just happen to like the HE-500 better than the HE-6 on that amp.  I've owned two at two different times.  It's great to use when you main amp is out for upgrades or repairs.  However, if you do decide to get the HE-6 - a much better amp is needed to weak up the beast.

The Hilo looks like nice, no frills professional piece of kit provided you've got a use for the A->D functionality which you obviously do but I can imagine most people wouldn't.  Would you still have purchased it in case you didn't need that?  I'm passively on the lookout for something a bit more neutral than my V800 (otherwise very good but not the ultimate in resolution) but came to the conclusion that I'd need to spend A LOT of cash (>3k USD) to do substantially better.  Of course if someone can prove me wrong I'm all ears.  Looking for neutrality, resolution and transparency.  Doesn't need to have the latest and greatest in filters etc but functionality that would allow me to select the level of up sampling or deactivate it totally would be nice, as well as a hardware solution that enables me to set output gain.  Oh, and XLR out connectivity.

Bold:

I didn't think so.  The only thing with the V800 is that it still use an old USB technology (Adaptive)  - Thus improvements are to be had IMO.  If you have a great adaptive USB implantation and a great asynchronous USB implantation I'll take the async implementation every time.

Violectric is coming out with a new DAC soon time soon I think - this one will have the async technology and is said to be much better than the V800.

Others that's an upgrade over the V800 that's around the 2K mark - give or take a few $$ IMO

Master 7  (one of the best out there at that price)

A used PWD mk2 (not worth the asking price - but a steal at the 2K mark)

NAD M51 (really good digital volume control)

Hilo (lots of features - and good sound to go with it)

John Kenny Ciunas DAC (SE only) but has a great USB input - Great for a lower cost solution

Schiit Gungnir with the new Gen2 USB board (I heard the Gen1)

Benchmark DAC2 (haven't heard)

Lavry DA11 (was going to get)

Matrix X-Saber (haven't heard)

Metrum Octave mk2   (I really like this one)

Mytek DSD DAC  (really technical - a bit on the bright side for me)

Eximus DP-1 (haven't heard)

Ayre QB-9 ( the mk2 is at the 3K mark)  (the mk1 is a really good DAC - only has a USB input thou)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back