HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 2, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #12,571 of 21,868
I have not herd them. But the reviews are mixed. But the price just seems like a rip off. But they look fantastic.

But maybe someone will bring a pair to the ny meet. I might have ps audio,s new DAC by then and if so I will bring it.

I do not feel like packing up the MSB IRS four boxes.

Al

If you're referring to the Abyss there Al I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts. I listened to the Abyss last week off a few amps and preferred my HE-6 (the HE-6 was running of the speaker taps of A Luxman L -507u). The Abyss was very comfortable though, I'll give it that. I think the other guy there listening to the Abyss preferred the 6 too, he kept coming back to it and was much more animated listening to it (kept making enthused comments). I went in having a very strong expectation that the Abyss would be better than the 6, but my expectation bias wasn't confirmed. Interesting experience.

You'd honestly have to have rocks in your head to pay that money for the Abyss as far as I'm concerned.

Mar 2, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #12,572 of 21,868
Yes the abyss. I hope to hear them. But I do not think there is much beyond the HE6. .

Al

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #12,574 of 21,868
I think the blu tooth on a planar would be done with a Xin Micro on the 500s.

Hmm, do you mind providing a link. My google search isn't bringing it up.

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #12,575 of 21,868
Mar 2, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #12,576 of 21,868
smiley_thumb.gif
 After falling behind and then catching up on the thread, I feel like I just got off the sixth roller coaster @ Magic Mountain!

Mar 2, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #12,577 of 21,868
The only place you could get a Xin amp anymore is used. Xin dumped the business and left. A Chinese rocket scientist who was making a side business in his hobby here in the US. A multinational thriller to be sure.

But something like this.

http://anythingbutipod.com/2008/07/fiio-the-850-headphone-amp/

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #12,578 of 21,868
Hi Guys - all this talk about the First Watt F4, I thought it'll be a time to let you all know that I've finished my first DIY build!! I've just about finished the F4 - it sounds out of this world!! crazy detail and dynamics!! The only thing is I haven't tested it with my HE-6s yet - they have had to be sent back to hifiman as the right driver went on me weeks ago. I'm based in the UK so I'll have to wait a while longer :)

Will let you all know how it sounds once I get the replacement back. Just to update you on my choice of configuration - didn't do the mono blocks but decided to do dual mono. I've attach a testing pic - excuse the extra wires :) 

Have to say it is the best sounding amp I've heard - I haven’t got the best speakers but the extra detail level and bass was crazy! its similar to the extra detail and transparency my HE-6 gave me over my speakers in my old setup. Could only imagine how good it'll sound with my HE-6s. Just ordered the KEF R300 speakers for them also.  

One thing is yes they do need a good preamp with good gain. I tried it with my Hifi-M8 as a DAC preamp and it did get it to an OK level but not loud enough - had to drive it with my 80s Pioneer amp - it has a speaker output with phono jacks.  My next DIY project will be a Nelson - BA-3 front-end made as a preamp. This will drive the F4 perfectly. Thanks to Brunk and the kind souls in diyAudio for some brilliant assistance and suggestions! :)

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #12,579 of 21,868
Seriously?  5 pages of posts in 18 hours?

I reset the thread as "read" yesterday when I had a few thousand unread posts that I couldn't catch up on, and 12 hours later it's too much again!

blink.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #12,581 of 21,868
  Seriously?  5 pages of posts in 18 hours?

I reset the thread as "read" yesterday when I had a few thousand unread posts that I couldn't catch up on, and 12 hours later it's too much again!

blink.gif

Where's the dedication?  The commitment?  Come on, man, get with the program!!!!

(just kidding, of course)

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #12,582 of 21,868
I ALSO WANT TO THANK JGIF for having links to all my impressions in the 1st post from over 3 years ago!

I'm still enjoying them the most with my EF6 amp and my Marantz 2240 in terms of power and impact, energy and excitement.  But the EC ZDT would be my #2 with them, as it beats the Marantz in all other areas like refinement, soundstage, micro-detail, etc... The EF6 cost half what my upgraded ZDT cost, and it's at probably 90-95% of the amp that the ZDT is, so it's still the better choice for HE-6.

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #12,583 of 21,868
  I ALSO WANT TO THANK JGIF for having links to all my impressions in the 1st post from over 3 years ago!

I'm still enjoying them the most with my EF6 amp and my Marantz 2240 in terms of power and impact, energy and excitement.  But the EC ZDT would be my #2 with them, as it beats the Marantz in all other areas like refinement, soundstage, micro-detail, etc... The EF6 cost half what my upgraded ZDT cost, and it's at probably 90-95% of the amp that the ZDT is, so it's still the better choice for HE-6.

I am planning to go with EF-6, is should be safe bet. I am kind of frustrated with speaker amps. With speaker amps your entire rig has to have good synergy, dac->premap->power amp. And I would end up spending 3K and kind of risky with experiments high gain may blow up the HE-6. 

with EF-6 and with simple balanced DAC (like emo DC-1).... if am able to get 80% SQ what preproman or brunk get out of their rigs, then it should safe bet in long run....I guess.

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #12,584 of 21,868
I can Recomend an amp that is just Bout as good a 6 k amp I own. And it has a volume control and preamp with both BAL and SE INPUTS. .

The KRELL kav 400 xi. I own it too. It s a truly great amp to go with many headphones I own. And it will,lite full size speakers too.
It is big , heavy and gets hot and must be hot to sound good.

Al

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #12,585 of 21,868

I am planning to go with EF-6, is should be safe bet. I am kind of frustrated with speaker amps. With speaker amps your entire rig has to have good synergy, dac->premap->power amp. And I would end up spending 3K and kind of risky with experiments high gain may blow up the HE-6. 

with EF-6 and with simple balanced DAC (like emo DC-1).... if am able to get 80% SQ what preproman or brunk get out of their rigs, then it should safe bet in long run....I guess.

I have and use the EF-6 and think it works well.....but it is single ended front to back so a balanced dac is not necessary....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back