HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 1, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #12,496 of 21,868
Not saying anyone's a fool, I don't think there are any BS'ers around amidst the regular posters on this particular thread, everyone's just honestly working toward their auditive nirvana and all input is sincerely appreciated.

Been giving this some thought while meditatively kneading some bread dough I've got going:

I'm currently driving my HE-6 from a V-800 DAC, sampling deactivated, connected via XLR to a V200 amp, pre-gain at 6.  The main motivation for my F3 purchase was to determine if the latter would really bring the 6 to a new level.  Now, to my ears the V200 does a good job, it outputs 2.7 W, 11.6 V into my (measured at 49 Ohm) HE-6 (single-ended setup), listening to for instance studio master FLAC files.  As I said, I listen to classical, all kinds but although it's not my preferred subtype, also some organ music.  That bass goes deep but obviously it's not the same as a drum, slam wise.  The main issue I have with the V200 is that -although I like its tonal characteristics, it's not extremely detailed/resolving.  I listen at moderate volume, some classical pieces have huge dynamic range as we all know.  I know clipping when I hear it.  Even on the V200 I honestly haven't experienced it at the volumes I listen to so surely the F3 should be able to at least equal this.

I'll know when I get to try the F3 but look forward to the detail which everyone agrees on is excellent.  Interesting times 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #12,497 of 21,868
That is close enough for me. And it does not have to be a woo. I was just making a reference I am not a fan of very expensive amps as a must have. I would like others to weigh in on this too. As for the clipping it's no big deal the amp was loud enough before that. It was the bright presentation that through me off. The horns were to bright and just night right . But I think I have made some enemies now. And it is not what I want. .

Al

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #12,498 of 21,868
You will be very happy the detail is off the hook. But the bass impact is light like a stax . But the overall tone is brighter than other amps I have.

Al

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #12,499 of 21,868
Is this headphone seriously this hard to drive? Seems odd to me to create a headphone where you are having to buy a massive speaker amp to drive it

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #12,500 of 21,868
Is this headphone seriously this hard to drive? Seems odd to me to create a headphone where you are having to buy a massive speaker amp to drive it

Well, the only reason the speaker amps are massive is because they're designed to put a fair amount of power into speaker loads. But if you don't need to drive loudspeakers, you could build an amp that as far as the headphones were concerned would be the equivalent of a 100 watt loudspeaker amp into a pretty compact package.

se

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #12,501 of 21,868

I think it's odd to not try to get the best out of a headphone.

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #12,502 of 21,868
Ohh have you heard any FW amps ? The F3 or J2. Maybe . We both have the krell.

Al

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #12,503 of 21,868
popcorn.gif

I'd like to get my grubby little hands Champagne pouring, ice-cream scooping and tea serving hands on one those test tracks. Where'd I put that G-22000?!

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #12,505 of 21,868
Hey everyone. I've been trying to decide on headphones for a while now and I've had my eye on the HE6. I have a Krell KAV-250a or a Denon AVR-3803 receiver to match with the HE6's and it seemed like it would make sense for me to go straight for the HE6's over all other headphones considering I have the speaker amps to power it sufficiently. If I were to go for other headphones, I would need to spend a bit more money on an amp. 
I listen to mainly EDM (house, trance, drum and bass, much more), rock, pop, and some r&b. From what I know, the HE6 does well in pretty much anything.
I feel like I've made up my mind already solely because I have the means to sufficiently power the HE6 but more opinions would be nice. In addition to that, it seems like the HE6 outperforms many others that are more expensive when hooked up to a proper amp. So, just save money and only have to buy an HE6, or go for something else + an amp? Thanks.
smile.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #12,506 of 21,868
  Hey everyone. I've been trying to decide on headphones for a while now and I've had my eye on the HE6. I have a Krell KAV-250a or a Denon AVR-3803 receiver to match with the HE6's and it seemed like it would make sense for me to go straight for the HE6's over all other headphones considering I have the speaker amps to power it sufficiently. If I were to go for other headphones, I would need to spend a bit more money on an amp. 
I listen to mainly EDM (house, trance, drum and bass, much more), rock, pop, and some r&b. From what I know, the HE6 does well in pretty much anything.
I feel like I've made up my mind already solely because I have the means to sufficiently power the HE6 but more opinions would be nice. In addition to that, it seems like the HE6 outperforms many others that are more expensive when hooked up to a proper amp. So, just save money and only have to buy an HE6, or go for something else + an amp? Thanks.
smile.gif

HE-6 trounces the others with a powerful amp. Krell hits hard in the bass and great attack. You will love it with EDM. You won't be disappointed.

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #12,508 of 21,868
HE-6 trounces the others with a powerful amp. Krell hits hard in the bass and great attack. You will love it with EDM. You won't be disappointed.

This ^^^

You're set man, since you have those amps you can't do better than the HE-6.

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #12,510 of 21,868

Sounds like my decision is made. As for the plugging the HE6's to the amp, would I have to use the HE-adapter or is it safe to directly hook it up? I've read about people plugging theirs into 300+wpc amps without much trouble but I just want to make sure.

Also, from what I understand, I would need xlr to banana plugs to use with the wire that comes with the HE6's to hook up to speaker connectors. Any pointers on what cables are nice? I'm told that BTG audio stuff is nice along with them being able to replace the poorly designed connectors on the headphones with some better ones.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back