HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 25, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #12,226 of 21,867

The ONLY advice I need is 
tongue_smile.gif
 money... and how to get some more!

On the multi-meter front, when I got home last night, I ripped it open like a gift box on holiday! And the thought of "Batts" never ever crossed my mind. All dressed up and no where to go. 
rolleyes.gif

Well I hope you get sorted soon, hate to see a fellow with a non-operational audio rig. 
frown.gif

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #12,227 of 21,867

Well I hope you get sorted soon, hate to see a fellow with a non-operational audio rig. 
frown.gif

smiley_thumb.gif
 When the sun rose this morning, I had long been up waiting to greet it. It's going to be a great day in LA! Despite needing to shove my Apogee Big Ben onto the chopping block this Friday. Saddened, I'm just waiting for its eventual removal to wire up the system without it. Had I chose to listen to the clock for just a few days, I would have taken the art of kickin' & screamin' to a whole 'nother level! 
normal_smile .gif

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #12,228 of 21,867
^ lol 
jecklinsmile.gif

Well, GLWS then!

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #12,229 of 21,867
You know what the say in audio, once you get a taste of the sweet nectar 
rolleyes.gif

I remember the first time hearing the HE-6. Fellow member 'wotts' arranged for me to have a 2 month audition. Inside the mids was a whole lotta magic! Going back to the D7000
eek.gif
 was ruff & stuff! I haven't been right since! Well, until my own purchase. 

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #12,230 of 21,867
  That's explain a lot. It looks like you've your facts the wrong way around. Music is not series of individual pulses but sine waves ARE the building blocks of music. That's thanks to this remarkable fact that we can now enjoy the digital revolution. well, some of us do. 
wink.gif

Hum... I wish it was true, my job would be much easier then! Seriously, that not the case, at all.

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #12,231 of 21,867
So I just got my solid core silver cable back and I can definitely hear a difference between it and the copper Double Helix Cable that I had. The copper one has a bit of a darker sound while the silver one is a tad brighter with better detail and imaging. I'd say copper is more appropriate for people who like to be seduced by warmth and smoothness while silver is for people who want to extract every bit they can from a recording. 

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #12,232 of 21,867
So I just got my solid core silver cable back and I can definitely hear a difference between it and the copper Double Helix Cable that I had. The copper one has a bit of a darker sound while the silver one is a tad brighter with better detail and imaging. I'd say copper is more appropriate for people who like to be seduced by warmth and smoothness while silver is for people who want to extract every bit they can from a recording
That's my last stop.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #12,233 of 21,867
  So I just got my solid core silver cable back and I can definitely hear a difference between it and the copper Double Helix Cable that I had. The copper one has a bit of a darker sound while the silver one is a tad brighter with better detail and imaging. I'd say copper is more appropriate for people who like to be seduced by warmth and smoothness while silver is for people who want to extract every bit they can from a recording. 

I'm definitely a micro-detail fanatic - give me the PLANKTON!

Might have too look into a silver cable after I see to a DAC.

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #12,234 of 21,867
Brunk is correct the man has a scope the size of my plasma. Lol. Anyway he is correct and then beyond that is transient peaks the are even higher. If you take the woo wa5 and use it SE it's not enough but in BAL it's great. .
Al

All this talk about HE-6 power requirements gave me an idea for a test that would show how much power is used in my system for a particularly demanding recording.  Using the recording listed below, at 2 minutes 25 seconds into the song, I snapped this meter image from my Yamaha MX-1000 that shows a momentary peak reading of 24.2w.

At the same time I noted a peak reading of approximately  100 dB using on my analog RadioShack Sound Level Meter.  Here's a pic of the test setup. 

As a point of reference, without changing the volume level, I played a 1 KHz / one third octive warble tone at -20dB from a Stereophile Test CD1, and recorded a level of 94 dB, so the peak when playing the song was 6 dB higher than this reference tone.

Even at these levels the sound was clean and effortless. I'm sure the HE-6 would play even louder, but I wouldn't even attempt to try anything louder for fear of damaging my hearing.  I rarely listen to music at these levels, but will occasionally, if only for brief periods.  Note, my average listening level is about 75-80 dB.

Music:
CD: Henrik Freischlader Band Live (Disc Two) Track 3 - Drum Solo by Dirk Sengotta

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #12,235 of 21,867
Silent notes made audible... and visible.

smiley_thumb.gif
 Finally got around to measuring the resistance of my HE-6 tonight! I measure both the stock and custom cables:

- Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7; 4x19awg @ 13 feet = 61 Ohms rounded; 61.2 Ohms technically
- HiFiMAN Stock cable = 61 Ohms rounded; 60.7 Ohms technically

wink_face.gif
Further, I took one for the team! 

5043web.JPG

A pair of "Naked" Zero Autoformers showed up today. Taking measurements of the cans today was critical. Thought I would have play time earlier but business called me away. Will likely connect them Friday evening. Dividing by "4" should return a resistance of 15.25 Ohms. Sure, I'd like to have 16 Ohms but...
rolleyes.gif

Will update the thread as a work-in-progress. What I can say now is their removal from the box 
eek.gif
... shocking! Bigger than I expected, heavier than I expected - 2" wide, 5" round and weigh about 10 pounds each! And for those scoring at home 
wink.gif
 they're gorgeous.

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #12,236 of 21,867

All this talk about HE-6 power requirements gave me an idea for a test that would show how much power is used in my system for a particularly demanding recording.  Using the recording listed below, at 2 minutes 25 seconds into the song, I snapped this meter image from my Yamaha MX-1000 that shows a momentary peak reading of 24.2w.

At the same time I noted a peak reading of approximately  100 dB using on my analog RadioShack Sound Level Meter.  Here's a pic of the test setup. 

eek.gif
 Holy crap!!  (I'm assuming the methodology is valid here)....24 W.  Ok, peak value but still....for 100 dB.  Thanks for doing this!

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #12,238 of 21,867
Very impressive numbers!! That corresponds to approx. 200 W @ 8 ohm (provided that only the Hifimans are connected directly to the speaker posts). Can you imagine that? I wonder how headphone amps rated at 1 W could drive 6s to their best...

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #12,239 of 21,867
  Very impressive numbers!! That corresponds to approx. 200 W @ 8 ohm (provided that only the Hifimans are connected directly to the speaker posts). Can you imagine that? I wonder how headphone amps rated at 1 W could drive 6s to their best...

I wonder who listen loud enough to reach 100dB at peak level! That is insane...

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #12,240 of 21,867
All those Numbers are impressive. Thank you all.
With audiophile classic recordings even 115 dB could be reached at short bursts.That is definatly not insane.

I recently had a discussion with another Engineer about the HE-6 and that its specs should not require a speaker amp. I could not answer it at that time even though my ears told me a clear answer. Now the picture is clear and the SPL Measurement Hifiman is giving could not be true in the low bass department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back