HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 22, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #10,546 of 21,879

+1

better amping helps improve, but i still feel this to some extent.

I could try using digital crossfeed with the Fidelia software (called FHX). I'll try it out and see if it helps.

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #10,547 of 21,879
This may or may not be HE-6 specific. To isolate this hunch with your system, auditioning the HE-6 with other front-ends and amplification could either dismiss or indict the HE-6.
popcorn.gif

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #10,549 of 21,879
  Am I the only one that feels this?

I haven't noticed it until recently, but I think one of HE-6's weak points is how it lacks a central focus compared to other TOTL headphones. While it has good imaging and transparency, if I close my eyes and listen to the HE-6, I feel that the center of the stage is somewhat vacant compared to left and right. Other headphones seem to do a fairly good job in emulating a clear center stage, but with the HE-6, something is missing. It may not be a big deal for some, but still...

Do any of you agree with this, or is it just me?
If this has been addressed as one of HE-6's traits before, is there any way to improve upon this?

This may or may not be HE-6 specific. To isolate this hunch with your system, auditioning the HE-6 with other front-ends and amplification could either dismiss or indict the HE-6.
popcorn.gif

angle the pads
popcorn.gif

I dont think the center image is lacking, it's just the typical planar headphone staging. That said, I am awaiting my Audeze MicroSuede pads to see if there's an improvement in this area. If so, then the HE-6 really pulls ahead of the rest. Can't wait to get my mits on 'em!

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #10,550 of 21,879

I dont think the center image is lacking, it's just the typical planar headphone staging. That said, I am awaiting my Audeze MicroSuede pads to see if there's an improvement in this area. If so, then the HE-6 really pulls ahead of the rest. Can't wait to get my mits on 'em!

When do you get them?!

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #10,551 of 21,879
Nov 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #10,552 of 21,879
Put the audeze pads on last night. They are better than the hifiman velour which I thought lost something in the lower range. For placing the instruments I think the hifiman pleather may be a bit better than the audeze but still working it through. Also had a tube go so it messed up my comparison. The audeze are a pain to get on so not sure how much patience I will have either

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #10,553 of 21,879

I haven't noticed it until recently, but I think one of HE-6's weak points is how it lacks a central focus compared to other TOTL headphones. While it has good imaging and transparency, if I close my eyes and listen to the HE-6, I feel that the center of the stage is somewhat vacant compared to left and right. Other headphones seem to do a fairly good job in emulating a clear center stage, but with the HE-6, something is missing. It may not be a big deal for some, but still...

If this has been addressed as one of HE-6's traits before, is there any way to improve upon this?

I'm glad I'm not the only one to experience this! You put my feeling into words here.
The center stage is kind of fuzzy and no ghost images appear when I close my eyes.
I know that the headphone is not the sole culprit here, because on this very setup, my HE-5LE also have this issue. It is bothering me less because they sound smaller in scale and, as result, I get less of that left/right feeling when listening to them. I once could get the 5LEs image very very good (where I could see the instruments and the singer in front of me, not inside my head like now). This lasted 2 months. Now I'm fighting to get that back.

Are the Audeze better in this aspect? I always read they were quite narrow sounding but with a very nice depth. That's actually my preference and something the Metrum Quad gave me ( I love depth because it increases the out-of-head experience).

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #10,554 of 21,879
Put the audeze pads on last night. They are better than the hifiman velour which I thought lost something in the lower range. For placing the instruments I think the hifiman pleather may be a bit better than the audeze but still working it through. Also had a tube go so it messed up my comparison. The audeze are a pain to get on so not sure how much patience I will have either

You should try not using the hifiman disc.

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #10,555 of 21,879
It will be fun to revisit this center stage vacancy issue over the weekend. It's something that hasn't really stuck out sore-thumb style. The first three days I had the HiFiMAN's in, I listened to them along side the HD650......... at the same time. Nuthin' weird proposed itself.

My Sansui G-22000 has 2 headphone jacks side-by-side. And while gain will be decreased slightly when both cans are plugged-in, this isn't a problem really 'cause there's so much dial left. 
evil_smiley.gif

songmic and others, what happens to voices/instruments that otherwise appear clearly center stage when using other cans? Weak? Diffused? Shifted slightly to the L/R? Missing micro-dynamics?

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #10,556 of 21,879

Not a trait I have ever noticed, even with 'underpowered' amps like the Audio-gd Roc and Woo6se.

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #10,557 of 21,879
I tend to listen late. Either deep into the night or overnight - low light, candles or no light - and have closed my eyes with ease. But this trait never really stood out. But when it does 
tongue_smile.gif
 I'll save the French bubbly for Sunday brunch! 

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #10,558 of 21,879
Can anybody recommend a treble test song or album. Since the addition of the offramp my PWD has not shown the upper frequency harshness or peakiness I sometimes experience. I would like to sweat the HE6 through a treble grind. Similarly the T1, which performed better with the M7 than the PWD in my system, exhibiting some upper frequency edginess now and again. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #10,559 of 21,879
  Can anybody recommend a treble test song or album. Since the addition of the offramp my PWD has not shown the upper frequency harshness or peakiness I sometimes experience. I would like to sweat the HE6 through a treble grind. Similarly the T1, which performed better with the M7 than the PWD in my system, exhibiting some upper frequency edginess now and again. 

Artist:
Jean Michael Jarre

Albums:
Oxygene - Part 4
Equinoxe - Part 5

You will find shortcomings very quickly with those albums. Enjoy!
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back