HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 23, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #10,576 of 21,868
  DUB girl im glad to see you are happy with your purchase.

has anyone hear heard the HE6 on the woo wa234 mono blocks????

AL D

i believe Frank I has.

Nov 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #10,577 of 21,868
I believe you are correct as he said he has it now . I was wondering who else.  I heard them at the NYC audio show. but I did not roll tubes and did not hear the HE6 on them. I have a krell kav400 xi coming next week, so fresh listening soon.

its good that you could adjust the bios yourself, was a pot that you adjusted with a dvm??

Nov 23, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #10,578 of 21,868

the bass is incredible really, i wish it had a bit more slam though at times (i think i need to buy an LCD-X soon). the sub-bass is perfect though, and the amount and balance of bass is the best i've heard next to the beyerdynamic T1 and the Audeze's. the bass is very tight clean and controlled, more than any other headphone. sometimes the bass feels a little lacking in bloom, but its mostly that its very neutral and clean. infected mushroom's converting vegetarians sounds amazing with the he-6, basically this album was made for the HE-6! the bass feels almost speaker like at times.

Hmm DG, to me the LCD-3 has a very different bass presentation than the HE-6 that I own. For some, including me, the bass is better with the LCD-3, as it has a sublime character and sub-bass is very well controlled to all my previous headphone experiences. However, I would never call the HE-6 dark. I also wouldn't call it overly bright as others have suggested here. For fast-paced music, I pick the LCD-3, for everything else, the HE-6. The HE-6 is really top class even when competing with all the Stax gear that I own.

Nov 23, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #10,579 of 21,868
 I am not coming across as an expert on the he6.  But the cans can be bright or not to dark but way darker than when they are bright.  when I first used the cans my ears were bleeding from the brightness. but with changing of amps and dacs , I have them now where I want them. and I do agree they are great cans and aside from the heavy bass of the LCD3  the HE6 is ahead in all other aspects.
I own both the cans we are discussing with an assortment of amps and dacs.

DG  what you hear is very possible and I am sure it is described well by you.

Nov 23, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #10,580 of 21,868
well the sound of the HE-6 is an interesting one to me, in many ways it reminds me of my beyerdynamic T1, but its thicker with that ortho midrange, but also extended treble and an interesting tonality. its hard to describe it. 

i do not find the LCD-3 to be bass heavy, they have nice sub-bass but i still find it light. i prefer the bass of the other audeze's for its harder hitting impact. the LCD-3 seems to have slightly bloomier bass but lighter too with a different decay, the measurements and graphs show this, the square wave of the lcd-3 is different than the other audezes.

one things for sure, both lcd-3 and he-6 are top level performers.

interestingly, im starting to like the HE-6 more for rock with my setup.... they are everything a grado dreams of being and more 
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #10,582 of 21,868
nope, i really wish i could since they are supposably really good.

the ps1000 really disappointed me ($1700 is way way too much for these). and the rs1i is the only grado i really like. but they still fall short when compared to today's flagships.

Nov 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #10,584 of 21,868

interestingly, im starting to like the HE-6 more for rock with my setup.... they are everything a grado dreams of being and more 
biggrin.gif

That's why I sold my T1 and never looked back, the HE-6 just excels at this. Especially when you finally get the HE-6 dialed in. The only genre it takes a back seat to other cans is classical.

Nov 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #10,585 of 21,868
Brunk. I do agree with that , and why do you think that is. I'm guessing but maybe it does not do complex music , or is it the changeling dynamics not being fast enough ??

Al D

Nov 23, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #10,586 of 21,868
Brunk. I do agree with that , and why do you think that is. I'm guessing but maybe it does not do complex music , or is it the changeling dynamics not being fast enough ??

Al D

No, it's not any of that. HE-6 does complex passages just as good as HD-800. I find classical to sound better with a large headstage. That's where the T1 and HD-800 step forward. The ambient information of a large hall is much more engaging that way. One good way to compensate for this is to use a binaural DSP like TB Isone, but I don't like it with HE-6. YMMV.

EDIT: I haven't tried an analog crossfeed with HE-6, so that may work even better. Has anyone tried a good analog crossfeed with HE-6? Something like THIS might be really cool!

Nov 23, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #10,587 of 21,868
Very well explained and understood. I guess I would never notice that as I do not like hall sounding tracks , nothing with echo or reverb it just distorts the sound to me. But effects of live is cool.

Where can I get a copy of the binaural program ??
Al D

Nov 23, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #10,588 of 21,868
  No, it's not any of that. HE-6 does complex passages just as good as HD-800. I find classical to sound better with a large headstage. That's where the T1 and HD-800 step forward. The ambient information of a large hall is much more engaging that way. One good way to compensate for this is to use a binaural DSP like TB Isone, but I don't like it with HE-6. YMMV.

EDIT: I haven't tried an analog crossfeed with HE-6, so that may work even better. Has anyone tried a good analog crossfeed with HE-6?

I've tried the HE6 with the Phonitor but it doesn't sound good at all, unfortunately, so using the crossfeed with it makes little sense if the cans are underpowered.

Nov 23, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #10,589 of 21,868
I thought of that too , I have the amp but it is to low power for them. Maybe if I used a resister bridge as a pre amp output to an amp?? But I'm not sure how it would sound??

Al D

Nov 23, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #10,590 of 21,868
Very well explained and understood. I guess I would never notice that as I do not like hall sounding tracks , nothing with echo or reverb it just distorts the sound to me. But effects of live is cool.

Where can I get a copy of the binaural program ??
Al D

get a trial copy here http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isone/

you can tweak setting, but can't save them until you purchase the license. It's only $20 and is good for life. Great value IMO. Be sure to follow the manual for proper setup procedures. This is by far the best I've come across, but it's definitely not a set-and-forget plug-in. You need to tweak it a bit, but once you're done it's truly sublime. The basic default setting is pretty good though. There's also a multi-channel version that works well with movies and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back