HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 7, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #8,326 of 21,868
Quote:
Sorry guys, guess I'm a bit sensitive on the topic. Just wanting to get my headphones cause nothing else equals them. I've never had a slow (my view) response from HiFiMan before. Now that I've ran into a bit of a slow time, I'm anxious. No ill will intended.

sorry and just for insane curiosity
biggrin.gif
:what has happened to your he-6?

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #8,327 of 21,868
Quote:
sorry and just for insane curiosity
biggrin.gif
:what has happened to your he-6?

Quote:
I blew mine setting up a new DAC. Put the full signal on my amps by mistake for less than a second but enough

With his monoblocks, I'd be suprised if the He-6 survived. 

Meanwhile I grab a Silver Poison cable for my He-6. Little changes in the sound department, but comfort/ergonomic increases tenfold 
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #8,328 of 21,868
a 50 watt amplifier into 8 ohms, monoblock or otherwise is only 8 watts into he6.
Which is just about right.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #8,329 of 21,868
Quote:
a 50 watt amplifier into 8 ohms, monoblock or otherwise is only 8 watts into he6.
Which is just about right.

HC's Rotel is 125W @ 8 ohm though

Btw I saw this on the another thread. Not that I find anything wrong with direct speaker tap; just wondering if the adapter (upgraded with better resistor) will make any differences in sound 
Quote:
One thing that I think is missing from these discussions-connecting the HE-6, K-1000, or any headphone with an impedance from 30+ ohms to 120 ohms directly to an amps speaker taps may not be giving you a 'flat' frequency response. The amp could be ok or it could even be oscillating which could cause the problems some people are experiencing in the highs. Virtue Audio states in the manual for the Sensation amps that speakers from 2-16 ohms can be used, but higher impedances may not have optimum frequency response. I have noticed on the amps I have used , both tube and SS, that connecting the HE-6 directly to the speaker taps doesn't always sound 'right'.

With the HE-6 plugged into the Adapter and the Adapter speaker taps connected to the amp speaker taps, the amp is seeing a load of 9 ohms measured with a VOM. Now the amp is driving a load that is in the range it was designed to drive.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #8,330 of 21,868
Quote:

Btw I saw this on the another thread. Not that I find anything wrong with direct speaker tap; just wondering if the adapter (upgraded with better resistor) will make any differences in sound 

As previously quoted, the load may affect how the amp operates. As a generalization, probably not a big deal for SS amps, but likely more important for tube amps. 

Dropping in that parallel resistor will give the amp a relatively stable load across the entire frequency range. The headphones will see a higher output impedance, but *shrug* if that matters.

For amps that have too much gain, you could do something simple like two hefty 4.7 ohm resistors in series that serve as the parallel load, and tap the headphone off the second half. That'll be a voltage divider, gives your amp that stable 9 ohm load, and your headphone sees only 4.7 ohm output impedance which maintains that 8:1 rule of thumb. 

Or something like that. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #8,331 of 21,868
Quote:

As previously quoted, the load may affect how the amp operates. As a generalization, probably not a big deal for SS amps, but likely more important for tube amps. 

I read somewhere before that adapter for tube amp is to protect transformers - something like the trans is wired to operate best at one impedance, and when forced to drive a higher impedance it may shorten the lifespan of said transformer. 

Somebody with the adapter should do some comparison with and without - for great science! 
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #8,332 of 21,868
It's something akin to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedance_matching

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #8,333 of 21,868
Quote:
Quote:
I blew mine setting up a new DAC. Put the full signal on my amps by mistake for less than a second but enough.

With his monoblocks, I'd be suprised if the He-6 survived. 

Meanwhile I grab a Silver Poison cable for my He-6. Little changes in the sound department, but comfort/ergonomic increases tenfold 
biggrin.gif

thank you.i had missed

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #8,334 of 21,868
Quote:
I put in 50 watts of Class A power @8 ohms into my HE-6 by mistake but it survived. 

That should not be a problem. That is what I am feeding my HE-6 all the time to make them really sing (Threshold T50. 50 watts/ch at 8 ohms which is about 8 watts/ch into 50 ohms).

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 7, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #8,335 of 21,868
Quote:
That should not be a problem. That is what I am feeding my HE-6 all the time to make them really sing (Threshold T50. 50 watts/ch at 8 ohms which is about 8 watts/ch into 50 ohms).

Yeah, that's only 8watts at 50 ohms and the specs say it can handle 15 watts. But it sure gave me some anxious moments when I found that I had left the volume control wide open.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #8,337 of 21,868
Quote:
They didn't.
redface.gif

Hey HC! How much power did you push into these cans before they failed (dB, watts etc). Yesterday i had mine plugged into my F3 and m51 set on 0dB and they survived although, man, was it loud!

actually makes me wonder whether you could mod these to be like AKG k1000 -- suspend them a bit from your head and angle them for that AKG look. You would def have to play them louder but they can obviously handle that. May also have to fiddle a bit in other ways to maximize the sound. I may just get a used pair and fiddle with it one day! I don't believe I can trademark this mod but if anyone of you beats me to perfecting this mod, no royalties will be required, but would appreciate naming it after me -- the CI-mod or Viktor's mod or something like that. 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #8,338 of 21,868
I find I lose a lot of bass response if I don't have a seal around my ear, so suspending it in front probably won't sound very good. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #8,339 of 21,868
Quote:
I find I lose a lot of bass response if I don't have a seal around my ear, so suspending it in front probably won't sound very good. 

True. The mod would have to fix that. Not sure if that's possible. Maybe we can pitch to Fang this idea and he could try building one like that. Anyway, sorry for going off topic here. Gonna layoff this pipe dream now.

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #8,340 of 21,868
well, since we are appreciating the HE6 here I will say this: I have my m51 fired up and RCAs are running to my F3 and HE6 and XLRs are running to the SPL phonitor and HD800 and, as much as I hate to say it, I am reaching to the HE6 more and more. I love the HD800 and the phonitor has served me well connected to those phones -- hell, I still love them! In fact today I came home from work and fired up that combo, put on some Mahler and then Chopin and told my wife how much I enjoy it. The problem is that when I fired those up I also fired up the F3. I just let it warm up for few hours while I listened to the HD800, then ate dinner, put my daughter to bed, and now I am back with both systems hot and ready and as much as I try to stay with the phonitor senn combo, whenever I pick up the he6 I feel like I found what I am looking for. Granted i switched music to more fun Friday night bass driven electronic music and popped a Guinness so that may play a role too. Still right now I am enjoying things  too much to change it and do serious comparisons, but in any case I just have to say that with the F3, I think found my HE6 nirvana. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back