HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 13, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #8,191 of 21,868
Quote:
To me, and also measurements, the HE-6 has more than neutral in the treble, which may make it sound bright. However, more power or current won't heal that, but people hear it as a little bright, and then assume that it is a lack in the amp. A weak amp with a source having a rolled off treble is a good tool to test my point. My HM-801 portable player demonstrated this.

I've heard these headphones on many, many different types of amps.  One thing I've noticed is the treble and bass response change from amp to amp.  Some lesser quality amps will spotlight the treble and weaken the bass.   On higher quality amps the treble was tamed and the bass had weight.  The amp I'm using now is a current driven amp with only 10watts into 8 ohms.

So for me. Mega watts and loads of power wasn't the answer.  As I use to run these on 200wpc mono blocks.  They sound better on the amp I'm using now.  Smooth treble, Large soundstage, Deep tight bass, lots of body (full).

This has been my experience.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #8,192 of 21,868
Quote:

I've heard these headphones on many, many different types of amps.  One thing I've noticed is the treble and bass response change from amp to amp.  Some lesser quality amps will spotlight the treble and weaken the bass.   On higher quality amps the treble was tamed and the bass had weight.  The amp I'm using now is a current driven amp with only 10watts into 8 ohms.

So for me. Mega watts and loads of power wasn't the answer.  As I use to run these on 200wpc mono blocks.  They sound better on the amp I'm using now.  Smooth treble, Large soundstage, Deep tight bass, lots of body (full).

This has been my experience.

Hey prep, whenever you get to try the HD800 on the F1J, mind firing me a quick PM? Eagerly awaiting impressions...

Looks like a solid amp for the HE6, I want to see if it performs that way for all headphones.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #8,193 of 21,868
Quote:

Hey prep, whenever you get to try the HD800 on the F1J, mind firing me a quick PM? Eagerly awaiting impressions...

Looks like a solid amp for the HE6, I want to see if it performs that way for all headphones.

I will.

However, SWA is building me an a20 preamp.  The DACs digital volume control I'm using is not the best for the HD800s - not a lot of headroom.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #8,195 of 21,868
Quote:
Surprised you aren't just going to use the GS-X on unity gain.

Yep, thought about it.  But they will be in different areas.  I'm still going to compare the two.  You know how we do.  Compare everything 
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #8,197 of 21,868
Quote:

The high output impedance of the F1j might not work so well into the HD800, though i guess it wouldnt hurt to try it...

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #8,198 of 21,868
If it's good enough for speakers, why wouldn't it be ok for the HD800?

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #8,200 of 21,868
Any advice on a preamp for my Odyssey Stratos amp?

I recently sold my W4S Dac 2 and kept the preamp-less Dac 1. I tried the Zana Deux as preamp but it distorts. The other option is my CSP2+ into the Odyssey, but this creates logistical issues (too far away from one another) and I'm not sure how the CSP2+ would do with such a powerful amp. The other option is to run my Marantz 2285 as pre. I'll be getting my HE6 back from repair in a couple of weeks and would like to have a prepared solution; I miss them!

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #8,201 of 21,868
Quote:
Any advice on a preamp for my Odyssey Stratos amp?

I recently sold my W4S Dac 2 and kept the preamp-less Dac 1. I tried the Zana Deux as preamp but it distorts. The other option is my CSP2+ into the Odyssey, but this creates logistical issues (too far away from one another) and I'm not sure how the CSP2+ would do with such a powerful amp. The other option is to run my Marantz 2285 as pre. I'll be getting my HE6 back from repair in a couple of weeks and would like to have a prepared solution; I miss them!

What about one of the Odyssey preamps?

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #8,202 of 21,868
Quote:
The F1 isnt a normal power amplifier. Its designed to be a current source rather than a voltage source. It was designed to be used with full range drivers with a relatively flat impedance curve.

And more to the point it's designed to have a higher output impedance than the load.. which into the HD800 it wouldn't.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #8,203 of 21,868
i tried for half hour my he-6 with my new beta and i love this combo but i hope soon a complete listening session

Users who are viewing this thread

Back