HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #8,161 of 21,868
Quote:
Quote:
Nelson Pass, a brilliant SS amp designer. Check out his patents from the 70s to the 90s.

http://www.stereophile.com/interviews/nelson_pass_patents/index.html

Perhaps he should design an hp amp.

So far my first Watt F1J is the best amp I've heard with the HE-6 as of yet.  Other than the $8.5K SimAudo amp I heard at the audio store with the HE-6.  Nelson is a great guy to deal with as well.

I bought the F1 from SoupRKnowva and sent  it to Nelson to convert it to the F1J.  It's been one of my best purchases thus far.

If I wanted to copy emulate your steps to F1J/HE-6 nirvana, what kinda dough am I looking at for the F1J?

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #8,165 of 21,868
Quote:

Both with the HE-6 only:

Both are pretty forgiving.  The F1J extracts more detail and has more dynamic range.  The F1J has a bigger soundstage compared to the B22.  The treble on the F1J extends further out, the B22 will roll of sooner making the F1J appear more detailed.  The F1J appears to be the faster amp as well.  The B22 also seems more laid back.  The F1J has more weight in the bass both in the sub bass and mid bass with more punch and attack.  The B22 does a better job at this with headphones other than the HE-6. 

The soundstage, extended smooth treble and the bass weight the F1J provides is what separates it from all other amps I've heard with the HE-6.

Thanks prep, good detailed impressions. The GS-X/Dynahi have a smaller soundstage than the Beta but are definitely quicker and have more attack + better imaging. The Beta has more overall bass quantity though, with less control.

The F1J sounds like a keeper. Will be on the lookout for one.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #8,166 of 21,868
Quote:

Thanks prep, good detailed impressions. The GS-X/Dynahi have a smaller soundstage than the Beta but are definitely quicker and have more attack + better imaging. The Beta has more overall bass quantity though, with less control.

The F1J sounds like a keeper. Will be on the lookout for one.

Shah,

I still have these Dynahi amps boards (off board heatsinks)  Trying to find someone good that will build it.  SWA won't touch it because of the off board heatsinks.  Is it still worth building the amp?

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #8,167 of 21,868
Quote:
Quote:
For great sound, the combo seems to bring BIG bang for the buck! Will lean in and look a little closer this spring.

Really looking at a pair of F4s now...

Yes, let's party around the Mono block again! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #8,169 of 21,868
I'm running my HE-6 from with the Mjolnir or a Pass Labs Aleph 3 currently. I picked up a second Aleph 3 last week for speaker duty, but I've been thinking about how to go about using boht for the HE-6.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #8,170 of 21,868
Run with a balanced source and use each amp to power your L and R separately?

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #8,172 of 21,868
Quote:
****** my right driver has died. I will send to head direct for a replacement. Fortunately they offer a remplacement even the headphone is not under warranty but you have pay.

Quote:
I am awaiting an exchange pair myself. Chinese New Year and all I hope it's not too long. I've sent payment and the headphones and am waiting a response.

Quote:

How much do you have to pay?

X2 interested in knowing this as well...

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #8,173 of 21,868
Quote:

My DAC can also do pre-amp and is balanced out. I figure I can solder a splitter and feed the channels that way. Hmmm...

So... left XLR to RCA feeding amp #1, repeat for amp #2... 

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #8,174 of 21,868
Quote:

Shah,

I still have these Dynahi amps boards (on board heatsinks)  Trying to find someone good that will build it.  SWA won't touch it because of the on board heatsinks.  Is it still worth building the amp?

Hmm, that's a good question. You might already have an ideal amp for the HE6 in the F1J from what you've described. Plus, the GS-X is similar enough to the Dynahi in terms of SQ that it might not be worth it unless you're looking for more power over the GS-X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back