HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 24, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #4,261 of 21,868
These headphones are magic to the ears. Use a good quality speaker amp, tap into the speaker outs and sit back and enjoy. if your speaker amp puts more than 60-70 watts, then you will need a speaker impedance box ) a small price to pay for some of the best sound that money can buy. Better than the LCD-2 IMHO, and most all of the dynamic headphones available to us today. The impedance box looks like this:

and with the HE-6, you'll hear some of the  some of the finest sound you'll ever hear.If you have a speaker amp, then you do no need the box. Read the reviews.
I have a pair of Dared Quasi mono-block 300B tube amps and I prefer it to my 100 w.p.c. Adcom independent amp, using the impedance box. Of course, if you have an amp
that is 100-250 w.p.c. then you must use the impedance box otherwise you'll overdrive the drivers in the Orthodynamics, and could do damage to then HE-6.
If it is too expensive for you, you can always buy the HE-300's which are the newest dynamic offering from Head-Direct for only $295 and I can say with all honestly that they blow away the Senn HD6XX, and the Beyer AKG-701's and the DT880 which are half the price and 2-3 times better. Only your ears can tell you which is better, but to my ears, it is a no brainer. The HE-300's are incredibly superior to it's competition, and cost a lot less.

You can always buy them and utilize the 30 refund offer, so you have nothing to lose except 1 way shipping, which arrive at your door 3-5 days from China after placing your order, I asked Fang if anyone was returning them, and he said "no".

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #4,263 of 21,868
Aaron which one do you like more- He-6 or He-500. I ordered a He-300 btw, partially also because of your impressions.

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #4,264 of 21,868
I use the 300's everyday because I can sit in front of my house without hosting an entire network to listen to music. But the 6's are clearly a much better headphone.

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #4,265 of 21,868
I like using the HE-300 in front of my house because you don't need any accessories to make them work, but the HE-6 is clearly a better headphone in every aspect

Quote:
I think we're good on pictures of the impedance box.  

I posted the picture because I was asked to, by a member.

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #4,267 of 21,868
I was the one that asked for the pictures because I needed the confirmation that my DIY box isn't a complete F#&*-up.  As for your posts lately, what's up with that?  Double, triple post, self quoting.  Quoting a self quote.  O.k. that last one's on me but something is definitely wrong.

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #4,268 of 21,868

Quote:
I like using the HE-300 in front of my house because you don't need any accessories to make them work, but the HE-6 is clearly a better headphone in every aspect

I posted the picture because I was asked to, by a member.

Through my ARC amp, the 6 is amazing. I was playing a recording that Mark Levinson made in CD "Bill Elgart percussion A Life, vol III", its startling. The 6 sounds like a big speaker in a headphone because of the weight it has at the lower spectrum. The ARC amp can provide the low end that the 6 can only handle so much of.

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #4,269 of 21,868
BTW if you want to check how good the 6 reproduces percussion, ML's "Bill Elgart percussion A Life, vol III" is an excellent recording that he made. There is a SACD of this. Mine is just a regular CD from the CD set that I bought from him when I met him at his Cello place.

This CD also shows how dynamic the 6 is from lowest tap of the cowbell to the big kick drum.

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #4,270 of 21,868
Wuwhere, would it be advisable/possible to mod the impedance box to use mills (or similar) resistors?  Just to avoid any sonic effects the box's possible sub-par inductive resistors may be having on the signal?  

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #4,271 of 21,868

Quote:
Wuwhere, would it be advisable/possible to mod the impedance box to use mills (or similar) resistors?  Just to avoid any sonic effects the box's possible sub-par inductive resistors may be having on the signal?  

All you need to do is replace the 10 ohms. The 25 ohms in series is just for over-current protection.

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #4,272 of 21,868

Quote:
All you need to do is replace the 10 ohms. The 25 ohms in series is just for over-current protection.

Now that's an explanation I can understand 
wink_face.gif

Aug 25, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #4,274 of 21,868
Speaking of the lower registers - the Pink Floyd Pulse DVD contains a "High Quality" stream. Playing "Sorrow" is fabulous on the HE6. On the RS-1 the drivers had an epilectic fit and were completeley overwhelmed.

Quote:
BTW if you want to check how good the 6 reproduces percussion, ML's "Bill Elgart percussion A Life, vol III" is an excellent recording that he made. There is a SACD of this. Mine is just a regular CD from the CD set that I bought from him when I met him at his Cello place.

This CD also shows how dynamic the 6 is from lowest tap of the cowbell to the big kick drum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back