HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 25, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #4,276 of 21,868
Or you can do what some of us did, just put a resistor across the speaker terminals. I soldered mine to a ring terminal so that it won't fall off.

Have you heard a difference with and without the resistor or is it more peace of mind? I've been listening with the resistors but notice no sonic impact with or without it.

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #4,279 of 21,868

Quote:
Quote:

It's cool with me, I was just saying 'cause we had 15 pictures up across 5 different posts.

Edit: Actually, I guess it's just some double/triple post trouble you're having with your browsing device.

Quote:
I was the one that asked for the pictures because I needed the confirmation that my DIY box isn't a complete F#&*-up.  As for your posts lately, what's up with that?  Double, triple post, self quoting.  Quoting a self quote.  O.k. that last one's on me but something is definitely wrong.

Microsoft Loin has ben totally messing me up. I have been on the phone with tech support and it to go to an Apple store because every time they fix it , it comes back. I'm sorry for the inconvenience guys. I should have just stayed with snow leopard and wait until the bugs were fixed. Sorry for any inconvenience that this has caused you.

Aug 30, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #4,280 of 21,868
i have some questions about the HE Adapter  :

1. The resistance in  parallel are wire wound 12 Watt resistors. Can i use this , 50 W Mills resistor. i am already paying around 15 for shipping so 1-2  dont really matter IF it gives better performance. 

2. . The resistor in series is normal metal-film resistor i.e 1/4 Watt 25 ohm one ??

3.  As seen here, in the version 2 (of "[size=x-small][size=x-small]How can I drive headphones from a power amplifier?" ) [/size][/size]its sen that the headphones are not balanced but single ended, so after i make the resistance box , can i add a single ended TRS 1/4" (female ) jack along with 4 Pin XLR ? 

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #4,281 of 21,868
A few questions about HE-5LE and HE-6, and I can't seem to find a good comparison that details this. How dark are the HE-5LE. Are they dark, or dark in comparison to the HE-6. I really like the HE-6, but the treble can be a little overwhelming. Does the HE-5LE take this edge off?

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #4,282 of 21,868

Quote:

1. The resistance in  parallel are wire wound 12 Watt resistors. Can i use this , 50 W Mills resistor. i am already paying around 15 for shipping so 1-2  dont really matter IF it gives better performance. 

2. . The resistor in series is normal metal-film resistor i.e 1/4 Watt 25 ohm one ??

3.  As seen here, in the version 2 (of "[size=x-small][size=x-small]How can I drive headphones from a power amplifier?" ) [/size][/size]its sen that the headphones are not balanced but single ended, so after i make the resistance box , can i add a single ended TRS 1/4" (female ) jack along with 4 Pin XLR ? 

1. Those types have high inductance. Use these kind. Use the 10 ohms non-inductive.

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?FTR=mills+resistors&search_type=main&WebPage_ID=3&searchFilter=mills+resistors&x=0&y=0

3.  The TRS has a common ground. Does your amp has a common ground?

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #4,283 of 21,868
Hopefully for the long holiday, I will have a new adapter cable and HE-6 balance headphone cable arrive from Frost Audio for my HE-6s.  I came across this newer cable coming at the Chicago May 14th meet as Warp 08 brought a pair of their cables to the meet all the way via New Jersey.  I hadn't pursued anything after the meet and then recently I was going through the Detroit meet impression thread and saw they were at the meet and found out they are out of Battle Creek, Michigan.  In reviewing their website, their pricing seemed very attractive so I decided to give them a try.  I should also mention that I also ordered their power cord for my AES-25 Superamp Signature along with their RCA from my RSA Stealth to the AES-25.  All the cabling is from their Black Frost line.  

I have the balanced Twag v1 cable for the HE-6s along with a balanced Warren Audio X10 cable and they both sound fine but I wanted to try the Black Frost so I will find out.    As they say about this hobby, sorry about your wallet and they really aren't kidding.

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #4,284 of 21,868
Quote:

You can also try these Mundorf MRESIST Supreme resistors, even more expensive than Mills.

http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/c/Mundorf-Supreme-Resistors/MRESIST+Supreme.html

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #4,285 of 21,868

Quote:
A few questions about HE-5LE and HE-6, and I can't seem to find a good comparison that details this. How dark are the HE-5LE. Are they dark, or dark in comparison to the HE-6. I really like the HE-6, but the treble can be a little overwhelming. Does the HE-5LE take this edge off?

They are only dark in comparison to HE-6, but brighter than my LCD-2 r1.  Yes, HE-5 LE will take this edge off.  I still like them a lot.

Aug 31, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #4,287 of 21,868

Quote:
What edge are you talking about? I have never heard any "edge" in the treble with my HE6's using my Liquid Fire or WA5LE..

Hi SS,
What is you opinion of the HE-6 out of the Liquid Fire? I am auditioning one. Last night I tired it with the my HE-6 and would like to compare my opinion to yours.

I did run my HE-6 with my WA5-LE for some time but now I am using them almost exclusively with my Threshold T50 speaker amp.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 31, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #4,289 of 21,868
Could you share you impression and comparison of HE-6 with LF and Threshold sometime later?

Thanks!

Quote:
 Hi SS,
What is you opinion of the HE-6 out of the Liquid Fire? I am auditioning one. Last night I tired it with the my HE-6 and would like to compare my opinion to yours.

I did run my HE-6 with my WA5-LE for some time but now I am using them almost exclusively with my Threshold T50 speaker amp.

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #4,290 of 21,868

Quote:
They are only dark in comparison to HE-6, but brighter than my LCD-2 r1.  Yes, HE-5 LE will take this edge off.  I still like them a lot.

Quote:
What edge are you talking about? I have never heard any "edge" in the treble with my HE6's using my Liquid Fire or WA5LE..

I don't know - whatever "edge" elwappo99 hears. I don't think he was saying the treble was "edgy sounding", just that it was brighter than he likes it, which acts as an edge for him. 

I'm properly amping my HE-6 so I don't hear an edge either - but switch the HE-6 to a Nuforce HDP and it starts to get on my nerves after a while (amp's fault, not the phones).  On an underpowered amp or one with poor synergy with HE-6, the HE-5 LE are likely to be a better match with his gear.  Personally, I like the HE-500 more than HE-5 LE, but he might still have the same complaint about too much treble with his rig if he got those.  Just guessing.  

His LD Mk VI might be a good match for the HE-5 LE, and maybe the HE-500, but it seems to me maybe it isn't tuned well for the HE-6 or it's not stout enough.  I'm just tired of always having to tell people that if they want a more balanced sound with HE-6 that they need to upgrade the amp.  Maybe for a change someone would be happy trying an easier to drive HiFiMan phone instead? 

Not everyone can afford a ZDT with silver transformers like me, or a Woo WA5 like you.  But, my other recommendation to him might be a to keep the HE-6 and pick up a cheap 40 watt vintage Marantz receiver with the HE-impedance box.  It drives the HE-6 nicely at 11 o'clock on the volume knob vs 3 o'clock for my ZDT.  The headphone out of the Marantz is still not quite strong enough for the HE-6, although Skylab has good results with a 75 watt Marantz headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back