HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 21, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #4,231 of 21,867
I can't find the non-inductive version of the Ohmite for ordering online, I did find a sample request form from the US distributor though and will go that route as I do have a (non-related) company. I will probably fill it out and request a couple for the reason that I can't find a way to order them. Learning a lot about resistors!

What about the wattage though, for example the Mills are available in 5W (MRA-5) and 12W (MRA-12), is 12 watts best for this application?

Edit: It looks like the Ohmites are available in 5.25, 8, 12, and 20-watt versions.

Was listening through the Rothwells again last night, in my system I don't notice any issues with them but I forgot to take them out so I will report back on that.

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #4,233 of 21,867
I have a Head-Direct Impedance box on loan and I have pictures, but since I installed Lion, it has decimated my laptop, and also removed all of my usernames and I can't get onto flicker pr photoshop, but here's some pics, inside and out:

Aug 22, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #4,235 of 21,867

Quote:
The higher wattage means it can sink more power. I use 12 but 8 should be fine.

So for my 45 wpc speaker amp the 8w should be fine, but for a more powerful speaker amp there would be an advantage to 12w? Is there any advantage in using the 8w for a lesser powered amp? Maybe the 5w for a low-powered amp like a 12 wpc?

My eBay seller agreed to refund the cost of the resistors, as I had offered to let him keep the shipping charge if he would let me off the hook. So now I will request samples of the Ohmites in 8 w or maybe try for pairs in 5, 8, and 12w, unless they can point me to someone that sells them. It could take forever to get samples if nobody sells them so I will might also order a pair of Mills 12w.

Aug 22, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #4,236 of 21,867
Or do what he did by adding a 25 ohm resistor in series. This is typically how you make an adapter for headphones anyway,
you add a resistor in series then parallel another to bring it down to around 8 ohms.

It offers some protection to your headphone by using a 25 ohm resistor in series with low power rating.
That way the resistor will burn first and break the circuit so that your headphone won't get damaged.

Aug 22, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #4,237 of 21,867

Quote:
Or do what he did by adding a 25 ohm resistor in series.

Now my brain is starting to hurt
rolleyes.gif

What about the wattage?  Is there any advantage to using lower wattage resistors in parallel for lower powered amps?

Aug 22, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #4,238 of 21,867
The cut-off for a adapter free amp is supposed to be  around 50w.  I asked Fang about my 75w receiver and he said it is still safe without the adapter.  I don't see why you need a adapter for your 45w amp unless the amp is struggling with the 50 ohm load like my little 12w Icon.   I guess it doesn't hurt to try in case the outcome is better sound.
devil_face.gif

Aug 22, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #4,240 of 21,867
Remember that parallel resistors have the same voltage across them and we're really dealing here with low voltage.
Series resistors have the same current across them so if you have a short that 25 ohm resistor will break first before
the HE-6. That's the protection I'm talking about.

Aug 22, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #4,241 of 21,867
Thanks again wuwhere, you have been very helpful.

Quote:
The cut-off for a adapter free amp is supposed to be  around 50w.  I asked Fang about my 75w receiver and he said it is still safe without the adapter.  I don't see why you need a adapter for your 45w amp unless the amp is struggling with the 50 ohm load like my little 12w Icon.   I guess it doesn't hurt to try in case the outcome is better sound.
devil_face.gif

I just want to get more into the power curve of my amp for better attenuation, also as you said impedance matching may result in better sound.

Aug 22, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #4,242 of 21,867

Users who are viewing this thread

Back