HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 7, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #20,386 of 21,868
The 500W amp probably is darker sounding then, because you will never go beyond the limits of the 70W amp (even in peaks).

In my experience power and brightness is not always related. For instance, I have a headphone amp doing about 5W (in 50 Ohms) which sounds slightly lighter than directly out of the HM901S with balanced amp card which does less than 10% of that. In other words, it's how the amp "does it" rather than how much power it has.

+1

I’ve never understood all the recommendations for vintage amps to drive HE6. Coming from a traditional speaker system perspective and 30 years in the hobby, you always want a better, cleaner, more transparent amp. I’ve tried the HE6 with various amps with predictable results based on the amp quality, and better gets you better. I like the Cavalli Liquid Carbon sound best with them, and with 2.8 watts into 50 ohms it seems to do fine. I judge that based on comparing to a speaker amp (Odyssey Stratos Stereo with 150 wpc and >60 amps current delivery. A bit cleaner sound, but no better at “driving” (dynamics) than the LC. The Emotiva 100a is an ok amp with ok results, but nothing great. I haven’t listened to a vintage receiver since it was the 70s, but that sound was what I’ve been trying to improve for 30 years. Use a better amp, whether HP or speaker, to get better sound. Or just listen to what you like. If the vintage amp tames the brightness with lack of range, that works. I’ve chosen the felt (bass lens) mod to tame the brightness, because I prefer the transparency and other characteristics of more audio-oriented amp designs.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #20,387 of 21,868
Ashamed its so hard to dig through such a large thread because these questions have been answered. The better speaker amps have overbuilt power supplies to handle a variety of speaker types. Many of the common receivers were designed for that maker's speakers. I had similar issues finding amps I could drive my electrostatic speakers with. I blew up some respected amps because they were never built for low ohm speakers like stats. The cost of increased sized transformers, size and number of fast acting capacitors, the design of damping, etc. is what makes for that price.

I've found dual mono, mono block, higher end integrated amps do well with the HE6. As usual, there are exceptions to all statements so I'm not here to debate it.

Apr 8, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #20,388 of 21,868
Ashamed its so hard to dig through such a large thread because these questions have been answered. The better speaker amps have overbuilt power supplies to handle a variety of speaker types. Many of the common receivers were designed for that maker's speakers. I had similar issues finding amps I could drive my electrostatic speakers with. I blew up some respected amps because they were never built for low ohm speakers like stats. The cost of increased sized transformers, size and number of fast acting capacitors, the design of damping, etc. is what makes for that price.

I've found dual mono, mono block, higher end integrated amps do well with the HE6. As usual, there are exceptions to all statements so I'm not here to debate it.
What is the felt mod you have done to your pair? Do you have any pictures?

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #20,391 of 21,868
HE-6 are back after two months of travelling.
he-6.png he-62.png

Auteur leather pads are probably the most relaxing thing ever created. And also ( as a small bonus ) they sound the best with the gear I'm using. These are the pads I've tried: Lawton, Audeze vegan, pretty much all Brainwavz, ZMF Eikon leather and Ori fenestrated, dekoni TH900 fenestrated ( similar results to auteur, a bit less comfy ), stock Kennerton Odin and stock Ether Flow. Most of them are more V-shaped with the exception of Dekoni fenestrated.

There are obviously issues with auteur pads on HE-6. First of all, they are a bit wobbly when not worn. Not a big issue, once they get on the head, all movement stops . Still, it doesn't feel as sturdy as some of the other pads tested.
Second of all, forward imaging is kinda meh, so I'm going to try putting some sponge to make them more angled. Should also fix some of the wobbliness.

Supposedly it was quite a struggle to remove the old, glued headband and create this little guy, but the result is just unbelievable. I used to own some of the most comfy HPs:T1v2, HD800, HD800S,still own Ether Flows and this is by far the most comfortable pair, I've ever had on my ears.
I was a bit worried that the pressure might be unevenly distributed due to the middle part, but I've already fallen asleep with them on the head - no discomfort whatsoever.

Leather headband made by Shipibo Audio.
Leather pads made by ZMF Headphones.

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #20,392 of 21,868
I was so confused since I thought Auteur pads were only perforated but it seems Zach has added a non perforated pad option. Hmmmm I'll need to try those.

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #20,393 of 21,868
I've been using ZMF Universe pads, which fit better than the Autuer pads. They have similar ear opening size as the Autuer pads, I've tried all of the pads you listed except the Kennerton pads. I also have been using the Dekoni Hybrid TH900 pads, very comfy as well, I really like the sound of them, and the ZMF Universe pads. It would be nice to see graphs of both on the HE-6.

Apr 27, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #20,394 of 21,868
I'll probably order the Universe pads at some point. Auteur pads were supposed to replace standard pads on my Eikon, but ... well. Plans have changed.
@cute have You tried both lambskin and perforated universe on the HE-6?

Apr 27, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #20,395 of 21,868
The perforated pads and fenestrated pads all have too much suck out, making the HE-6 sound thin. Only headphones that perforated pads sound good are the Autuer.

Apr 30, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #20,397 of 21,868
For those looking for a speaker amp for the He-6, I have listed my vintage, but recently "recapped" Bryston 2b LP in the classifieds. It even comes with complimentary female 4-pin XLR to banana plugs speaker tap adapter for use with the He-6. Sadly, I have been forced by recent unavoidable circumstances to part with my beloved He-6, so I no longer need this amp, which can drive the He-6 quite well.

Check it out here :

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-recently-recapped-bryston-2b-lp.874863/

Last edited:
May 7, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #20,398 of 21,868
new owner here.

My former poor Lcd3 is so left behind with the absolute visceral sound of this supreme piece of jewelry. And my Marantz 6010ose is even not supposed to sound brutal. I look forward to buy a more dynamic and resolving amp, i`m so thrilled.

Edit: well my next amp will be the Rega Brio. The reviews are all very very positive.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #20,399 of 21,868
I feel kind of embarrassed that I own HE-6 and almost never use them. Probably less than an hour of eartime since I moved to my studio in August. At the moment I'm in the throes of new toy joy (KSE1500), but I doubt even when I return from Europe they will see much use. They're merely okay for classical music—their bass weight and power handling is, of course, exemplary, but HD800 with sonarworks slams pretty well and has a vastly superior soundstage to my ears. Vegan pads feel good but it's still heavy af. I kind of regret taking the grills off. They look pristine to the eye but who knows whether microscopic dust got in. I don't think I can hear a difference w/ versus w/o. Panache amps them well enough, but it's 1/4 inch jack is extremely persnickity, and the signal cuts in and out.

As much as I'm inclined to keep them from a collector point of view, I have to imagine they'd be put to better use in someone else's hands.

May 13, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #20,400 of 21,868
HE-6 are quite a weird beast. First of all, ZMF Universe or Auteur pads are a huge improvement not only soundwise, but more importantly when it comes to comfort. I've also asked Shipibo Audio to create a leather LCD3-like headband and now I find my HE-6 far more comfortable than for example HD800, Ether Flow or T1v2, which I've owned for reasonably long periods of time. I can wear them for hours in 25+ degrees celsius, they simply feel like a feather.

I've tested them with plenty of decent amps and while I loved the signature, they were never really THE pair of choice. Merely one of many. For ultimate listening experience I'd always pick 007Mk1 with KGSS. The precision, the soundstage, bass, highs, mids ... everything sublime :)
But first Audio-GD HE-9 arrived, now I've received R2R 7HE and surprisingly HE-6 are suddenly the clear favourite of mine. I've never witnessed such a soundstage in headphones, not only is it vast, but more importantly its coherent - organic, natural, I don't really know how to describe it. Even in 007mk1 I can clearly feel that the sound is produced from a pair of headphones sitting on top of my head. Maybe that's the limitation of KGSS, after all Blue Hawaii or DIY T2 are supposedly quite a big upgrade.

Obviously the HE-6 I'm using are modded, just to temper the highs a tiny bit. Some people may miss the oomph present in LCD3 or TH900, but the bass in HE-6 is tighter and faster ... and it can also shake the ground if needed. If I were to nitpick, I'd say that the midrange could be a bit warmer for my taste. Odins are still the clear favourite of mine when it comes to male vocals. That being said, hifimans are what I understand as the definition of euphonic.
For me HE-6 are the best HPs I've ever tested. And while better setups probably exist, I have neither access nor money to test them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back