HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 31, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #20,341 of 21,868
Odac into Emotiva Mini X a-100.

I don't speak up very often in this thread these days, but this... this makes me cry a little.

Mar 31, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #20,343 of 21,868

Are you using the Emotiva from the speaker taps directly, or have you modified the resistors for the headphone output to get full power from the HP output? I am not one to say you need gobs of power, and have the Emotiva Bas-x a-100 and think speaker power out sounds ok. But I prefer the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, which has even less power. But I’m using the Chord Mojo dac which outputs 3v into the LC.

Mar 31, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #20,344 of 21,868
Are you using the Emotiva from the speaker taps directly, or have you modified the resistors for the headphone output to get full power from the HP output? I am not one to say you need gobs of power, and have the Emotiva Bas-x a-100 and think speaker power out sounds ok. But I prefer the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, which has even less power. But I’m using the Chord Mojo dac which outputs 3v into the LC.
I have the original one without the headphone out. I run it directly off speaker taps.

Mar 31, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #20,345 of 21,868
I cant find the specs quickly for the emotiva, but If I remember correctly, its not optimal. consider this when looking for an amp for the HE6. I have found the optimal cocktail for the he6 to be about 7 watts into 50 ohms. hifiman recommends 5 watts.

so when looking for an amp, consider that 125 watts through 4 ohm speakers is like sending 85 watts through 8ohm. so you can see that the watts is "roughly" halved as the ohms goes up. different amps have different ratios.. the hifiman amp pushes 5 watts into 50 ohms. but it was designed for headphones.

so, following the math of using a speaker amp. if an amp does 125 watts into 4 ohms, then if you hook up your he6 to the speaker taps, you would be getting "roughly" 10ish watts into 64ohms. BTW, this is NOT the correct math. I'm just trying to make the concept simple. dont quote me on this being exact math please. and dont say I ruined your headphones because blah blah blah..

Now, 125 watts into 4 ohms is a really powerful amp. most speaker amps for the common man dont do that. 100watts into 8 ohms is pretty common and easy to find for example. SO, find out the specs on your emotiva, and see where it is. and let us know.

Mar 31, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #20,347 of 21,868
I cant find the specs quickly for the emotiva, but If I remember correctly, its not optimal. consider this when looking for an amp for the HE6. I have found the optimal cocktail for the he6 to be about 7 watts into 50 ohms. hifiman recommends 5 watts.

so when looking for an amp, consider that 125 watts through 4 ohm speakers is like sending 85 watts through 8ohm. so you can see that the watts is "roughly" halved as the ohms goes up. different amps have different ratios.. the hifiman amp pushes 5 watts into 50 ohms. but it was designed for headphones.

so, following the math of using a speaker amp. if an amp does 125 watts into 4 ohms, then if you hook up your he6 to the speaker taps, you would be getting "roughly" 10ish watts into 64ohms. BTW, this is NOT the correct math. I'm just trying to make the concept simple. dont quote me on this being exact math please. and dont say I ruined your headphones because blah blah blah..

Now, 125 watts into 4 ohms is a really powerful amp. most speaker amps for the common man dont do that. 100watts into 8 ohms is pretty common and easy to find for example. SO, find out the specs on your emotiva, and see where it is. and let us know.
What I don't understand is what you're trying to make me infer. You think I'm giving them too much power?
I heard the original A-100. It was very hot and harsh sounding. Not a good amp with HE-6 IMO.

Not sure how the updated version sounds.
I'm not sure that it's a really bright amp. It sounded great with my He500 which has similar tonality to the He6 imo. I've been contemplating building a First Watt amp. If they release the F7 build anytime soon I may do that.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #20,348 of 21,868
I have a 4 screw He6 that I've felt the treble was always too hot for me on. I've had them stock with Focuspad-As for a couple years and recently did the grill mod and bought a pair of ZMF Ori Perforated Lambskin pads for them. The treble has come down slightly but is still a little too hot. What would be the next mod to tame the treble? I was thinking about doing the fuzzor mod with creatology foam. Is there something else I should try first? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I had treble issues with my modded 4-screw. I ended up trying different kinds materials used for frontal dampening. Finally dialed it in to my tastes.

Mar 31, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #20,350 of 21,868
Can you share what you did/materials used?

Sure. Melamine and charcoal foam in various thickness. Also several different types of non-adhesive felt. The later is what finally worked best for me. Although it will probably differ for you depending on your pads, existing mods and level of treble desired.

Mar 31, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #20,353 of 21,868
I have a 4 screw He6 that I've felt the treble was always too hot for me on. I've had them stock with Focuspad-As for a couple years and recently did the grill mod and bought a pair of ZMF Ori Perforated Lambskin pads for them. The treble has come down slightly but is still a little too hot. What would be the next mod to tame the treble? I was thinking about doing the fuzzor mod with creatology foam. Is there something else I should try first? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Sorry to say but these will always sound very hot and bright. The 4 screw is very bright. The 6 screw one has a much more even treble response and fuller bass.

No amount of modding or amp swaps will make the 4 screw sound less sibilant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back