HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 31, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #19,366 of 21,868
  I'm curious, have you tried the Audeze leather pads?

No, but I did mention the Audeze leather pads some time ago in this thread regarding bass performance, but I have been hesitant buying them because they are so expensive and there was no guarantee it would yield a better bass.

At the moment I can't say if the HM5 pads are so good primarily because they are made with memory foam or if it's both the foam and the pleather/leather. I have a feeling that the memory foam plays a big part in the bass quality I hear, but I am not certain. However, my angled velour HM5 have finally arrived at the post office today, so I will get to try them tomorrow. After trying them, I will know more about if it's the memory foam doing the "magic": If the punchy, dry bass is deminished with the velour, then I will keep the HM5 pleather pads and maybe add some micro suede on the inside of the pads in order to reduce reflections.

Nov 1, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #19,367 of 21,868
Today I got the angled velour Brainwawz HM5 pads in the mail. My first impressions are like this:

I think they are better than the Audeze vegan pads in terms of bass quality and punch, but not as good as the pleather HM5 pleather pads. Attack and dynamics are reduced as well as treble. Bass amount is about the same - perhaps slightly less, but just slightly.

Over all the HM5 velour sounds softer since treble and attack are reduced. The bass is not kicking like a mad horse as with the pleather version. In short, I just LOVE the pleather HM5 pads, but still like the angled velour.

Nov 2, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #19,368 of 21,868
the angled version can be also full pleather.. I have those... would be interesting to compare the full pleather versions of the normal and the angled
smile.gif

I think the difference with the "hybryd" angled is the sealing.... most probably velour seals less than pleather when in contact with skin and so the difference in dynamics and attack

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #19,369 of 21,868
  Today I got the angled velour Brainwawz HM5 pads in the mail. My first impressions are like this:

I think they are better than the Audeze vegan pads in terms of bass quality and punch, but not as good as the pleather HM5 pleather pads. Attack and dynamics are reduced as well as treble. Bass amount is about the same - perhaps slightly less, but just slightly.

Over all the HM5 velour sounds softer since treble and attack are reduced. The bass is not kicking like a mad horse as with the pleather version. In short, I just LOVE the pleather HM5 pads, but still like the angled velour.

I'm curious now as to how the Brainwavz sheepskin (non-angled) compare to the pleather non-angled.

Essentially, these (which I believe you are using @LarsHP):
https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDT894/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1478095069&sr=8-4&keywords=brainwavz+earpad

VS the Sheepskin version
https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Sheepskin-Leather-Memory-Earpad/dp/B01J53KM32/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1478095069&sr=8-8&keywords=brainwavz+earpad

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #19,370 of 21,868

I'm curious now as to how the Brainwavz sheepskin (non-angled) compare to the pleather non-angled.

Essentially, these (which I believe you are using @LarsHP):
https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDT894/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1478095069&sr=8-4&keywords=brainwavz+earpad

VS the Sheepskin version
https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Sheepskin-Leather-Memory-Earpad/dp/B01J53KM32/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1478095069&sr=8-8&keywords=brainwavz+earpad

I am interested on non-angled pleather vs angled pleather

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #19,371 of 21,868

I am interested on non-angled pleather vs angled pleather

+1

My assumption though, based on past experience with angled pads, would be a bit of an increase in soundstage and imaging due to the driver now being angled which directs the sound a bit more naturally to your ear.  Plus there is a larger space for the sound.

But also possibly a softening of the sound (decrease in bass impact and treble) because of the increased distance from your ear to the driver.

So, again my guess, would be following LarsHP's finding with the angled velour, but possibly just a touch-more bass impact and presence because of the pleather vs velour.

Personally, for the HE6 (which aren't known for the expansive soundstage anyways), I'd be more interested in the non-angled variety.

I have an extra set of ZMF Omni pads that I will be trying on my HE-6 but am really leaning towards picking up either the pleather or sheepskin non-angled Brainwavz pads.  Right now, I'm thinking sheepskin.

Nov 2, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #19,372 of 21,868
The sheepskin version linked above is angled. I am not sure if there is a real leather HM5 pad which isn't angled.

The interesting question now is how the angled vs. standard pleather pads compare and how the angled pleather pad compare to the sheepskin (angled). At the moment we just have more or less qualified guesses to rely on. As stated above the angled pads could give improved imaging and other benefits. Whether these differences are noticeable or not on the HE-6 is another story.

I already took off the velour pads yesterday evening. The pleather pads will be remounted. However, I do feel encouraged enough by the significant improvement the HM5 pads make, that I will buy angled HM5 pleather pads - just to see if there is any extra qualities to get by the angling.

My guess is that there may be subtle sonic differences between the real leather and the protein leather pads. What these may be, I don't know (either). In the end I might end up putting felt or something on the inside of the pads and this a good point to not go for real leather since it will be partly wasted and it's much more expensive. In addition I like the idea that I don't have to support killing a sheep just to get myself some headphone pads.

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #19,373 of 21,868
The sheepskin version linked above is angled. I am not sure if there is a real leather HM5 pad which isn't angled.

The interesting question now is how the angled vs. standard pleather pads compare and how the angled pleather pad compare to the sheepskin (angled). At the moment we just have more or less qualified guesses to rely on. As stated above the angled pads could give improved imaging and other benefits. Whether these differences are noticeable or not on the HE-6 is another story.

I already took off the velour pads yesterday evening. The pleather pads will be remounted. However, I do feel encouraged enough by the significant improvement the HM5 pads make, that I will buy angled HM5 pleather pads - just to see if there is any extra qualities to get by the angling.

My guess is that there may be subtle sonic differences between the real leather and the protein leather pads. What these may be, I don't know (either). In the end I might end up putting felt or something on the inside of the pads and this a good point to not go for real leather since it will be partly wasted and it's much more expensive. In addition I like the idea that I don't have to support killing a sheep just to get myself some headphone pads.

Really look forward to your impressions on the Angled vs non-Angled.

The ones I linked are the regular, non-angled version.  If there is any angle, it would only be minor foam density differences and not intended (I believe).  Here are the sheepskin angled as a reference:
https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Sheepskin-Leather-Angled-Memory/dp/B01J53WTUQ/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1478108763&sr=8-16&keywords=brainwavz+earpad

You can see they have a much more pronounced difference.

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #19,374 of 21,868
  Really look forward to your impressions on the Angled vs non-Angled.

The ones I linked are the regular, non-angled version.  If there is any angle, it would only be minor foam density differences and not intended (I believe).  Here are the sheepskin angled as a reference:
https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Sheepskin-Leather-Angled-Memory/dp/B01J53WTUQ/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1478108763&sr=8-16&keywords=brainwavz+earpad

You can see they have a much more pronounced difference.

I agree with you, but in the description of the link, it says next to the photo that it is angled: "Angled design for greater comfort and sound quality". However, this seems not to be that case when seeing the last link, where both photo and product name indicates that it's angled.

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #19,375 of 21,868
  I agree with you, but in the description of the link, it says next to the photo that it is angled: "Angled design for greater comfort and sound quality". However, this seems not to be that case when seeing the last link, where both photo and product name indicates that it's angled.

Oh good catch, I missed that in the description.  Seems like a copy/paste error in the description.

Thinking about it some more, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the regular (non-angled) pleather pads that you spoke highly of.  I have the Omni pads to try as well and since they are lambskin, these would be a good contrast (angled lambskin vs non-angled pleather).  Plus, they are cheaper.

I didn't really like the Audeze Vegan pads myself.  Softened the sound way to much for my liking.  Comfort was great though.

Nov 3, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #19,376 of 21,868
  Oh good catch, I missed that in the description.  Seems like a copy/paste error in the description.

Thinking about it some more, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the regular (non-angled) pleather pads that you spoke highly of.  I have the Omni pads to try as well and since they are lambskin, these would be a good contrast (angled lambskin vs non-angled pleather).  Plus, they are cheaper.

I didn't really like the Audeze Vegan pads myself.  Softened the sound way to much for my liking.  Comfort was great though.

I liked the vegan pads, but that was before I heard the HM5 pleather pads. I thought that the somewhat soft sub bass was caused by the driver itself, but the HM5 pleather pads really makes a night and day difference in that regard and told me that the soft sub bass is caused by the pads, not the driver.

I just put the order for the HM5 angled pleather pads.
Now I will have to wait about three weeks for them. (I don't want to pay $16 extra to get a $26.50 product within a week instead of three weeks.)

Nov 4, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #19,377 of 21,868
These look awesome. I just got a used set of HE-400s and I love the sound Hifiman puts out!

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #19,378 of 21,868
  I liked the vegan pads, but that was before I heard the HM5 pleather pads. I thought that the somewhat soft sub bass was caused by the driver itself, but the HM5 pleather pads really makes a night and day difference in that regard and told me that the soft sub bass is caused by the pads, not the driver.

I just put the order for the HM5 angled pleather pads.
Now I will have to wait about three weeks for them. (I don't want to pay $16 extra to get a $26.50 product within a week instead of three weeks.)

Finally could put my HM5 flat pads on the plastic ring. I was not convinced by what I heard. I really think pleather/leather don't suit these HE6 well.
My prefered tuning is original velour pads with a ring of felt in front of the driver to tame the highs a bit without sacrifies bass & mids.
Oh and if you want to sell your Vegan, send me a PM :)

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #19,379 of 21,868
  Finally could put my HM5 flat pads on the plastic ring. I was not convinced by what I heard. I really think pleather/leather don't suit these HE6 well.
My prefered tuning is original velour pads with a ring of felt in front of the driver to tame the highs a bit without sacrifies bass & mids.
Oh and if you want to sell your Vegan, send me a PM :)

It appears that we may have different sound preferences ... but:

As I have said earlier, I think the pleather benefits from having felt / micro suede on the inside of the pads to reduce reflections. I feel the upper treble gets a little too prominent and imaging becomes better and more natural, when I add felt on the inside. This way I get the best of two worlds: punchy, well defined and articulated bass pluss the resolution and imaging of the velour / micro suede pads.

What do you think of the bass quality and quantity with the HM5 pleather pads? That's where I experience a big difference (in favor of the HM5 pleather pads).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back