HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 28, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #19,351 of 21,860
  The HE1K, LCD4, Utopia, SR009 club is a very silly thing. If I ever do get a high quality power amp for HE6, it would be at the same time as I get good speakers—not before. The aspirational pricing will be death to high-end audio, but take heart: Apple has just discontinued the solid gold $10,000-17,000 Apple Watch, presumably because it wasn't selling enough to justify the huge price tag (and, hopefully, because catering to the well-heeled damages a brand). Vote with your wallets! 2K should be a ruthlessly enforced ceiling on prices—and for most, 1K.

Well everyone is different, for some $4k is nothing but pocket change. I learned my lesson after spending thousands in headphones, I felt that the value isn't there.

Speakers are really catching up nowdays, if you get a chance audition PSB T3 or Martin Logan flagships (Maybe CLX or Masterpiece Serie ESL) you will not go back to headphone. And nothing beats JL Fantom f113v2 or Gotham v3 in sub division. 

All I am saying if you already own Abyss, Utipia, LCD4, SR009 etc with that money you can do lot better in loud speaker setup.
My cheap or poor man's theather setup (Martin Logan Motion 60xt, 40s rear, Dual SVS SB13) sounds lot better than any flagship headphones that I owned.

Again, everyone is different, just my opinion.

Oct 28, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #19,352 of 21,860
Speakers and headphones are different tools in the soundbox. After setting up my speaker rig (ML/Velodyne) I fully agree no headphone can match the performance. But headphones are for personal listening when the big rig can't be used. Be it environmental or other reasons, the headphone can offer the same quality without sacrificing satisfaction. Budget is certainly a factor for most but many of us have been in this hobby for decades and either have gear to use or sell to purchase other gear so is not as big a restraint as those starting out. Often, the Summit Fi forum is not for all to play in but to learn from so that when they do have the means, they have some idea on where to turn on that journey.

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #19,353 of 21,860
  It just struck me that one of the benefits of the Brainwavz HM5 pads over the Audeze Microsuede / "vegan" pads is - for lack of better words - the punch conducting properties: Since the HM5 pads are much stiffer (however still very comfortable since it's memory foam) than the quite soft vegan pads, the punch from drums etc. transfers from the cup to the skull much more. It's really impressive.

Still waiting for the angled velour HM5 pads to arrive. If those loose some of the bass qualities, then I won't hesitate to put the HM5 pleather pads back on and call it the best there is for HE-6. They benefit from putting felt on the side facing the driver though, and might also be even better if there is either micro suede or felt on the inner side to absorb treble (if you feel there is a bit too much).

I've been using the HM5 angled pleather pad for the last couple of days, and I must say the difference is incredible. really a different hp. (I was using the FocusA before)

it is a little bit tricky to insert the plastic ring, but not impossible, just be careful not to break the plastic..

bass is there, but not bloated or boomy. highs are there, even if a little bit more recessed (good to my ears). mids are fantastic. good news is that the slightly "aggressive" character of the he6 is disappeared, more relaxed, more euphonic, but maintaining all details and transparency. slightly more diffused and less precise headstage (only bad thing I can find)

even if still not at the level of HEK, with this simple mod the old HE6 can be really a bargain. kudos to whom has firstly suggested this, great one!

Oct 29, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #19,355 of 21,860
Oct 29, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #19,356 of 21,860
LOT of care and BIG patience
wink_face.gif

just a note, the pleather s very robust and elastic, so can be stretched with no prob, while the plastic rig can break, so be very careful when forcing it inside the pads

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #19,357 of 21,860
I've been using the HM5 angled pleather pad for the last couple of days, and I must say the difference is incredible. really a different hp. (I was using the FocusA before)

it is a little bit tricky to insert the plastic ring, but not impossible, just be careful not to break the plastic..

bass is there, but not bloated or boomy. highs are there, even if a little bit more recessed (good to my ears). mids are fantastic. good news is that the slightly "aggressive" character of the he6 is disappeared, more relaxed, more euphonic, but maintaining all details and transparency. slightly more diffused and less precise headstage (only bad thing I can find)

even if still not at the level of HEK, with this simple mod the old HE6 can be really a bargain. kudos to whom has firstly suggested this, great one!

Good to read! And thanks for the kudos! Your impressions seems to mirror mine in many ways. Coming from the Audeze vegan pads, especially bass quality, but also dynamics, are a very noticeable improvement. Since pleather/leather has a more reflective surface the micro suede (vegan) pads probably is better regarding imaging, but this can be fixed by putting felt or micro suede on top of the pleather on the inside of the pad. This way we will have the best of both worlds.

However, I have a set of angled HM5 velour pads on the way which might be the easiest way to get both the bass and imaging right. Time will tell.

Oct 29, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #19,359 of 21,860
  Plastic ring inside HM5 pads? I must have missed some posts can someone point me in the right direction for info on this plastic ring please
Cheers

Since the Brainwavz HM5 pads are oval you need something to keep it circular and at the correct diameter. For this you can use one of the mounting rings from the older HiFiMan pads. They still have them at the HiFiMan store:
http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/accessories/velour-earpads.html

Oct 30, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #19,360 of 21,860
Here's a picture of the ring from one of the old HiFiMan pads and a HM5 pad on top:

Use double sided tape to seal the pad to the cup in order to maximize sub bass.

Oct 30, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #19,361 of 21,860
  Since the Brainwavz HM5 pads are oval you need something to keep it circular and at the correct diameter. For this you can use one of the mounting rings from the older HiFiMan pads. They still have them at the HiFiMan store:
http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/accessories/velour-earpads.html

Here's a picture of the ring from one of the old HiFiMan pads and a HM5 pad on top:

Use double sided tape to seal the pad to the cup in order to maximize sub bass.

Thank you that is very helpful and has made the modification perfectly clear

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #19,362 of 21,860
  1. Brainwavz HM5 Memory Foam Earpads - Sheepskin Leather - Angled

http://www.brainwavzaudio.com/products/headphone-memory-foam-earpads-sheep-skin-leather-angled

I changed earpads  2  hours ago , and first impresssion perfect :)  , all I can say everyone must try this angled pad. Bass impact increase almost %40-45 , deeper and punchy now. soundstage , high , mids everthing increase better way. when I will go home try with schiit lyr 2 , for now little preview :)  

I hope like pictures.

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #19,363 of 21,860
Looking good! What pads did you use until now (for reference)?

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #19,364 of 21,860
Oct 31, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #19,365 of 21,860
Good to read! And thanks for the kudos! Your impressions seems to mirror mine in many ways. Coming from the Audeze vegan pads, especially bass quality, but also dynamics, are a very noticeable improvement. Since pleather/leather has a more reflective surface the micro suede (vegan) pads probably is better regarding imaging, but this can be fixed by putting felt or micro suede on top of the pleather on the inside of the pad. This way we will have the best of both worlds.

However, I have a set of angled HM5 velour pads on the way which might be the easiest way to get both the bass and imaging right. Time will tell.

I'm curious, have you tried the Audeze leather pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back