HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 24, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #18,631 of 21,868
I would especially since they are discontinued.  It might be fine now but who knows what that might do to the longevity of the driver.  IMO, fix it while you can.

Apr 24, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #18,632 of 21,868
The cost really isn't an issue as much as I am curious to why these still sound like the best headphones I've ever heard... They'll definitely go out to HFM for drivers and then to PETEREK for a hardwire and custom paint. I don't plan on getting rid of these for an indefinite period of time.

Apr 25, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #18,633 of 21,868
So when I was doing the bluetac mod I slipped like a complete idiot and put a small puncture/perforation in one of the drivers with a small screwdriver. I guess I don't understand well enough how planars work because everything sounds EXACTLY the same as before, if not better (bluetac mod?). The puncture is near the center and very small, but certainly there. Is it worth sending them to HFM for new driver(s) @ $230? 

Now why would you be using a screwdriver? Unless you're putting the screws back in there should be no reason.

Apr 25, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #18,634 of 21,868
Now why would you be using a screwdriver? Unless you're putting the screws back in there should be no reason.

I don't follow? The drivers would not budge from the cups unless I unscrewed them. In your own pic below, the screws appear to have been unscrewed:

So I'm not sure why you're asking why I was using a screwdriver?

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #18,635 of 21,868
 I don't follow? The drivers would not budge from the cups unless I unscrewed them. In your own pic below, the screws appear to have been unscrewed:

So I'm not sure why you're asking why I was using a screwdriver?

You slipped while undoing the screws... At least it sounds the same.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #18,636 of 21,868

I had the T1 for a couple of years and found it a solid upgrade in performance from the hd650 I was using before. The T1 can sound absolutely glorious with the right amp and there lies the rub get it wrong and it can sound cool and unengaing. It paired amazingly well with a modified OTL Bottlehead Crack and I have also had the Bottlehead Sex and Mainline and I was as happy as a pig in the proverbial with the Mainline and T1 combination and then like a lamb to the slaughter I tried the HD800 with the Mainline and theT1's became instantly obsolete the amount of extra information on that first listen to the hd800 left my brain confused and head hurting from trying to take it all in.

My experience with the HE-6 is somewhat similar and I feel it outclasses the T1 in pretty much every way save for the T1's sound staging which at times is pretty much on par with the HD800 and probably may have the edge on pinpoint accuracy but its close to call. The HE-6 for me I think have probably provided my most musical engaging listening experiences so far it might not have the beguiling micro detail and tonality of the hd800 but when amped well it has this visceral raw dynamic nature that can really suck you into music and the moment. Pick up a used HE-6 along with class A speaker amp 5-10W like this one (http://diyaudiostore.com/collections/kits/products/amp-camp-amp-kit) and you will have a really potent combination that will provide an amazing listening experience. I am happy to just swap between the hd800 and HE-6 the pair pretty much fulfil my headfi needs at the moment. Save for the Meze 99 classics which I sometimes use of a evening if needing a bit of isolation.

The common thing with all these cans is they require a good sources and synergistic amp matching to shine

Thanks,
I have nfb28 H option (2015) which has a lot of power to drive he6. And it's balance too.
I feel that I'm gonna try he6 and see how it works. Hope it's a good investment, especially with rock/metal/blues.

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #18,637 of 21,868
Hi everyone, 

I currently have a lyr 2/he-500, I'm considering moving up to the he-6 however I won't be able to get a speaker amp anytime soon. Is it is he-6 with lyr2 enough of an upgrade over the 500 so justify going for it? 
tongue.gif

Thanks!

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #18,638 of 21,868
It's an amazing sound, but much more clinical. 560 is in production, better ergonomically, and much more flexible with amplification.

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #18,639 of 21,868
  Hi everyone, 

I currently have a lyr 2/he-500, I'm considering moving up to the he-6 however I won't be able to get a speaker amp anytime soon. Is it is he-6 with lyr2 enough of an upgrade over the 500 so justify going for it? 
tongue.gif

Thanks!

IMO, no. The HE-6 is a special headphone and you need to build an entire rig around it. I don't think the Lyr2 will cut it. 

FWIW, I prefer the HE-500 to the HE-560. I think it's a terrific headphone overall. The HE-560 had a very odd treble spike that made it hard to listen to. Just got a new amp for the HE-500 and it definitely scales well.

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #18,640 of 21,868
Agreed.  Just stick with the HE-500 unless you want to spend a ton of money to get the HE-6 sounding it's best.  The other issue with the HE-6 is you build a great system for it but it won't be suitable for other headphones, especially efficient dynamics and IEMs.

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #18,641 of 21,868
  Agreed.  Just stick with the HE-500 unless you want to spend a ton of money to get the HE-6 sounding it's best.  The other issue with the HE-6 is you build a great system for it but it won't be suitable for other headphones, especially efficient dynamics and IEMs.

As much as I feel a kindred spirit with you (both of us being Spec owners), I have to disagree with two points -

1. You don't need to spend a fortune to drive the HE-6 right.  Any good vintage speaker amp will drive it extremely well, especially out of the speaker taps.  For reference, I paid $400 for a Pioneer SX-1050 receiver and $300 for a Pioneer SA-9900, both which are incredible for this headphone.  Not to mention the Spec system that is my flagship and where I spend 99% of my time with the HE-6.

2. All of my vintage equipment (8 systems in use) play nice with any low impedance dynamic I've tried on them.  Denon's LA7000 sound exquisite.

For balance, I have to completely agree that IEM's will not work well with this type of setup.  But then again, who wants IEM's at home when you have an HE-6?? 
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #18,642 of 21,868
Thats what I thought,  I could always pick up a cheap speaker amp relativity soon. TP60 for $200 Emotiva Mini-x a-100 for $200 then the pioneers you listed are still reasonable. Would a combination like that would clearly beat HE500 then? Someone said you need to build an entire rig around it, but I've been reading that any dac and a cheapest speaker amp works great?

​One last question, since I know nothing of speaker amps and most likely will be going down this route, do I need to buy the hifiman adapter or something like a xlr to speaker cable to run the he6 off of speaker amps? Which one is recommend? Please be specific about the connections if you can since I have no idea 
blink.gif

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #18,643 of 21,868
  Thats what I thought,  I could always pick up a cheap speaker amp relativity soon. TP60 for $200 Emotiva Mini-x a-100 for $200 then the pioneers you listed are still reasonable. Would a combination like that would clearly beat HE500 then? Someone said you need to build an entire rig around it, but I've been reading that any dac and a cheapest speaker amp works great?

​One last question, since I know nothing of speaker amps and most likely will be going down this route, do I need to buy the hifiman adapter or something like a xlr to speaker cable to run the he6 off of speaker amps? Which one is recommend? Please be specific about the connections if you can since I have no idea 
blink.gif

I had the HE-500 and HE-6 when I got my Emotiva mini-x a-100. I ran both off 4pin xlr that was wired directly to the speaker taps. While the HE-500 sounded improved versus on my magni 2 uber, the HE-6 was still clearly a much better headphone. Part of it was the sound signature, as the HE-6 delivered more impactful bass. If the mini-x is not driving the HE-6 close to its limit, then I'm only excited to hear what it will sound like once I am able to give it the full power it needs. 

In summary, I would wager the mini-x will drive an HE-6 well enough for you to feel it is a definite step up from the HE-500.

EDIT: As far as connecting them, the newer mini-x (no names BasX a-100 MSRP at $199) will have a 3/4" headphone jack on the front. It is not yet known if it is fully powered like the speaker taps, but it is described as a powerful headphone out. So you may be able to just go with that. If not, the HE-6 (new from hifiman) comes with a set of speaker taps you can re-terminate your cable with and just use the speaker taps.

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #18,645 of 21,868

Thanks the for response, it seems like the mini-x is a good bang for the buck amp!  

Now where can I buy one of those xlr/trs to speaker tap wires? 
biggrin.gif

Made an edit to my previous reply. In addition, the XLR connector that came on my mini-x doesn't have speaker tap ends but just has the wires ran through the speaker taps and the the taps screwed on clamping them in place. I haven't found a 4-pin XLR cable that terminates to speaker taps or just to the wire ends, so I think the person who did this mod just took a 4-pin XLR and chopped off one end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back