HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 23, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #18,076 of 21,868

Could always go with the Schiit Ragnarok (100W into 4Ohms, 60W into 8Ohms). Headphone and speaker amp all-in-one. 
beerchug.gif

My emotiva is rated at 80W into 4 Ohms and 50W into 8 Ohms. I listen at about 11 o' clock volume with the HE-6. 

Could someone explain a bit how an amp can provide proper volume, but still not drive a headphone well? I've experienced it myself when I first had my HE-400. I used a Fiio E12 amp at first and was getting proper volume, but when I got my Magni 2 Uber it was on a whole new level of sound. Maybe the Fiio just didn't have the proper headroom for the peaks?

The extra power is for those peaks or "transients" as far as I know. Take for instance Audeze headphones. Most of them want anywhere from 1W-4W "continuous" power, but support up to 15W "peak/max" power. So in order to really unlock those headphones you'd want something that can deliver at least 15W even though you're only going to be using 1W-4W usually.

LCD-3

This is especially true if you're using EQ (you will hear clipping if you try to EQ and don't have the power to support it, or just if your headphones can't handle it, whichever comes first).

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #18,077 of 21,868
  The extra power is for those peaks or "transients" as far as I know. Take for instance Audeze headphones. Most of them want anywhere from 1W-4W "continuous" power, but support up to 15W "peak/max" power. So in order to really unlock those headphones you'd want something that can deliver at least 15W even though you're only going to be using 1W-4W usually.

LCD-3

This is especially true if you're using EQ (you will hear clipping if you try to EQ and don't have the power to support it, or just if your headphones can't handle it, whichever comes first).

Does anyone know the maximum handling of the HE-6? I've read that Dr. Fang recommends 2W RMS for them, so if the peak is significantly higher then it would make sense that having my emotiva at almost half volume may fall short of powering it through the peaks.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #18,078 of 21,868
That's why I use a seperate power amp just for the HE6.:wink_face:
Both can be connected simultaneously to my Grace DAC/pre - with independent control of both amps (and the Grace headphone out) over 99.5dB range in 0.5 dB steps.
Why does using your power amp mean listening only at moderately loud settings?

Because with Master 6 it gives way too much gain. I might consider getting another pre-amp or go for a DAC / pre-amp combo, but for now it's what I'm using.

Edit: What I wrote and would like to make clear is that I can't get a low listening level with my current pre-power combo, only moderately loud or louder.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #18,079 of 21,868

Does anyone know the maximum handling of the HE-6? I've read that Dr. Fang recommends 2W RMS for them, so if the peak is significantly higher then it would make sense that having my emotiva at almost half volume may fall short of powering it through the peaks.

I recall reading 15W at Head-Direct, but the old description is removed.

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #18,080 of 21,868
The speed of current delivery is what I believe makes a difference. Having more current reserve than will be used helps. The amp can keep the illusion of soundstage/headscape expanded during complex and demanding material. I noticed when an underpowered or poor current delivery unit showed it's limits, the sound began to lose focus and collapse. The impact may be there but not as good of spatial ques.

Head Fi member Yoga is using a Simaudio 600i. http://www.head-fi.org/t/666765/the-jps-labs-abyss-ab-1266-impressions-thread/3390#post_12106724

"Quick update, Lumin + 600i + Abyss (I'll keep this short as I'll be testing more with the Lumin A1, Lumin D1, Moon 600i, Moon 430, Aurender N10 and Analog (Quad) next week).

I have always been an open advocate for the Abyss, understanding and accepting a couple of shortcomings; mids could be more engaging (although this is personal preference) and the treble can be quite harsh at times.

This combination has not just addressed those 'issues', it has unequivocally surpassed them. Mids are delicious, instruments and voices sound visceral and real, layer separation and spacial cues have gone through the roof - it's now holographic. Sounds is liquid and tangible backed by dynamic power. Not only that, there is incredible resolution and detail retrieval (but in no way at the expense of flow).

No longer do they feel 'technically excellent' (soundstage, accuracy, bass), they are quite literally oozing with musicality, emotion, timing and coherence. It's like owning a new pair of headphones. Never heard the Abyss this good, they scale incredibly well. It's leagues above the 430 HAD. And in fact, anything I've heard via headphones.

Top performance transformers & capacitors with short feeds and quality wire/grounds.

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #18,081 of 21,868

Could always go with the Schiit Ragnarok (100W into 4Ohms, 60W into 8Ohms). Headphone and speaker amp all-in-one. 
beerchug.gif

Yes that would be a good solution but like I mentioned at at least 5x the price. Also, some people might not like the sound signature of it being more "organic/smooth" (I've not heard the Rok but I've seen it described like that a lot) than some vintage amps which sound more "forward/energetic". Nonetheless, some people love that combo too. 

Dec 23, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #18,082 of 21,868
Yes that would be a good solution but like I mentioned at at least 5x the price. Also, some people might not like the sound signature of it being more "organic/smooth" (I've not heard the Rok but I've seen it described like that a lot) than some vintage amps which sound more "forward/energetic". Nonetheless, some people love that combo too. 

Actually the Rag makes the HE-6 fatiguing. This is not a good pairing although many would think.

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #18,083 of 21,868
Actually the Rag makes the HE-6 fatiguing. This is not a good pairing although many would think.

I agree with this.  I prefer my Liquid Crimson with my HE6 more than the Rag.

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #18,084 of 21,868
Dec 23, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #18,085 of 21,868

I agree. The first time I heard it, I thought it was pretty decent... but hearing it again changed my opinion on it. I'm really not a fan of the Rag at all anymore. It has a lot of power and a lot of features, but at the end of the day, I don't think it sounds very good.

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #18,086 of 21,868
Silent notes made audible...and visible!

Firstly, "Happy holidays!" to my fellow members. I enjoy reading the contributions in this thread centered on the HiFiMAN HE-6.

Of late, I've been getting around and getting by with my HD650/iPod combo. A sound I've come to adapt under "All things considered..." Then luckily, the occasional Blue Moon will pass overhead and it's back in love again! Reuniting with the HE-6 and Shindo Laboratory Sinhonia F2a monaural amps or the Sansui G22000 vintage monster receiver.

To date, no other headphone has entertained me with adventures like the '6.' (Speakers, yes!) Especially reading the journeys of others: "Will it work?" "Do I have enough?" "Will it scale?" "What can I expect to hear?" And so on...wonderful cans to own and follow! 

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #18,087 of 21,868
I agree. The first time I heard it, I thought it was pretty decent... but hearing it again changed my opinion on it. I'm really not a fan of the Rag at all anymore. It has a lot of power and a lot of features, but at the end of the day, I don't think it sounds very good.

I'm very tolerant to brightness and I found that combo fatiguing. I hope you enjoy the Liquid Crimson because I haven't like any of Cavalli's amps. Really should be looking at a Krell or Pass Labs at the price range anyway.

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #18,088 of 21,868

I'm very tolerant to brightness and I found that combo fatiguing. I hope you enjoy the Liquid Crimson because I haven't like any of Cavalli's amps. Really should be looking at a Krell or Pass Labs at the price range anyway.

I do. Found it pretty crazy transparent with the HE-6 when I heard it at RMAF. More interested in it for my other HPs though.

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #18,089 of 21,868

I agree with this.  I prefer my Liquid Crimson with my HE6 more than the Rag.

Dude, when did you pick up the Crimson?!?

Dec 24, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #18,090 of 21,868
I'll be joining you in that pairing soon!
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried the HE-6 with the Liquid Glass and didn't like the pairing much. Would be interesting to read your detailed impressions with this pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back