HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 13, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #17,806 of 21,868
  Why do people prefer the vegan pads over the audeze leather pads?

Leather pads are not a very good idea. They contribute to reflections which imo degrade the SQ.

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #17,808 of 21,868
Oct 13, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #17,809 of 21,868

Some folks have decided to upgrade (regrade?) from the HE1000 to the modded HE6
wink_face.gif

Put the sorbothane on one earpiece and played some of my most familiar tracks. Effects are very subtle - I would struggle to pick a difference in a blind test, I think. The A/B testing might be more effective if I had 2 modded HE6s to swap between - with only one headphone it is hard to pick a difference.

I wonder if the blutak mod is already covering a lot of the ground that the sorbothane does? I used plenty of blutak and that must be having a substantial damping effect already.

Anyway, I can't see this doing any harm, so I will do the other earpiece and see how it goes. Here's a pic. I am using 7 squares of 50 duro sorbothane around the housing.

Thx for being honest about the experiment.  I appreciate it vm.

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #17,811 of 21,868

Leather pads are not a very good idea. They contribute to reflections which imo degrade the SQ.

For me it's the opposite, I really can't stand the velour pads, I feel like the seal and comfort are just not good enough. I only have HiFiman pads though, I only get alternate pads if there's a comfort issue. 

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #17,812 of 21,868

For me it's the opposite, I really can't stand the velour pads, I feel like the seal and comfort are just not good enough. I only have HiFiman pads though, I only get alternate pads if there's a comfort issue. 

Audeze and HFM pads are going to be completely different. I agree on the HFM velours though, the comfort is the worst. Audeze Vegan pads are on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Supreme comfort and great seal.

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #17,813 of 21,868
  I dont see how using sorbothane on the outside will make a difference? 

By damping the vibrations of the cup itself. Alternatively, you could wrap the cup in meat for the same effect. :)

Oct 13, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #17,815 of 21,868

Audeze and HFM pads are going to be completely different. I agree on the HFM velours though, the comfort is the worst. Audeze Vegan pads are on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Supreme comfort and great seal.

I have worn the HFM leather pads for up to 4 hours. I am sure the vegan pads are better quality, just don't think they are worth $80 ATM. 

Oct 13, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #17,816 of 21,868
  I have worn the HFM leather pads for up to 4 hours. I am sure the vegan pads are better quality, just don't think they are worth $80 ATM. 

I said almost the same thing 2 years ago and I wish I didn't. Those $80 is one of the cheapest big upgrades you can make. You're missing out on a lot for only $80.

Oct 13, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #17,817 of 21,868

I said almost the same thing 2 years ago and I wish I didn't. Those $80 is one of the cheapest big upgrades you can make. You're missing out on a lot for only $80.

Hey Rockin,

Even with the crappy canuck dollar, these are still a worthwhile upgrade. If they don't suit you, you could probably recoup a good chunk of your expense by selling them here.

Oct 13, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #17,818 of 21,868

100% agree. 

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #17,820 of 21,868

Some folks have decided to upgrade (regrade?) from the HE1000 to the modded HE6
wink_face.gif

Put the sorbothane on one earpiece and played some of my most familiar tracks. Effects are very subtle - I would struggle to pick a difference in a blind test, I think. The A/B testing might be more effective if I had 2 modded HE6s to swap between - with only one headphone it is hard to pick a difference.

I wonder if the blutak mod is already covering a lot of the ground that the sorbothane does? I used plenty of blutak and that must be having a substantial damping effect already.

Anyway, I can't see this doing any harm, so I will do the other earpiece and see how it goes. Here's a pic. I am using 7 squares of 50 duro sorbothane around the housing.

Blutak mod is a damping mod effect....and there are some basic rules for the sob mod :

you put the sorb where you want,but there are  4 RULES1 Many small pieces works better than less larger one (  On my he 400 i cut the longer pieces already there in halves on the cup without detaching it with an exacto and it was better way better hence 13 smaller pieces was  great improvement on my 8 or 12 larger one ) 2 not to much, because to much is worse, (too much damping is a catastrophy, blutak mod for example is damping mod hence +sorb mod maybe to much damping) and 3 the right thickness and duro...4  not more than 65% of the surface covered by sorbothane and sometimes less thant that will be better depending of the  nature of the surface and the headphone

It is an experiment  in relation with the basic material of your headphone, plastic or metallic, the densities of your headphones, etc,and you must explore by Yourself and experiment, and READ the thread of Edstrelow to know the basic...People dont read these days... i put it outside BECAUSE nobody already know the right from wrong now for this or that headphones in particular, hence i dont want to mess with the delicacy of the grill right now in assembling and desassembling it many times.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back