HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 13, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #17,791 of 21,868

can pls you give the link to buy sorb, someone posted link before in this thread, but I did not save it. 

this will do the trick...i had try with 30 duro... be free to experiment with 40 or 50.... Please read the thread of Edstrelow the inititator of the sorb mod thread on the Stax....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SORBOTHANE-SHEET-6X6x1-10-VIBRATION-ISO-RUBBER-PAD-SOFT-30D-with-3M-ADHESIVE-/371378038013?hash=item5677db24fd

best regards and good luck

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #17,793 of 21,868
  Bought it. Will let you know if there's any improvements once I get it.

if you can report on the Edstrelow thread where all sorb mod experiment are also...

Good luck and best regards

http://www.head-fi.org/t/744839/damping-mechanical-resonance-distortion-of-stax-and-other-phones-with-sorbothane-and-other-materials

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #17,794 of 21,868
I actually did the sorb mod to my HE-6, made a difference in the tightness of the bass impact and smoothed the highs a bit. A definite slight improvement in all areas.  I noticed a more drastic improvement to the HE -4 and 400 (also did the mod to them).

@richard51 hit the nail on the head with less is more,  I did too much at first and though he was crazy, reduced the amount and they sound fantastic!  (especially at higher volume). 

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #17,795 of 21,868
  I actually did the sorb mod to my HE-6, made a difference in the tightness of the bass impact and smoothed the highs a bit. A definite slight improvement in all areas.  I noticed a more drastic improvement to the HE -4 and 400 (also did the mod to them).

@richard51 hit the nail on the head with less is more,  I did too much at first and though he was crazy, reduced the amount and they sound fantastic!  (especially at higher volume). 

Edstrelow is the initiator of this mod... It is important that all of us for the benefice of all report on his thread....thank you very much for your impressions.... i invite you to resume your experiment there also..... photos, duro used, thickness  etc

Best regards

all headphone corporation  had made improvement all across the board EXCEPT in this field : how to dampen the vibration of all headphone and made a more audiophile sound...
smile.gif

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #17,797 of 21,868
  Got mine from Amazon.

LINK

very good... i want to know your impression with the 50 duro... remember that it is a collective experiment with many unknowns... Nobody now know what is better in the absolute sense, what duro, what thickness, what form of the piece (square or round ) on this plastic headphone or on this metallic headphone structure...How about the HEK wood structure?  and all that count very much... the damping of vibration is a subtle process...The engineers of the sorb corporation dont have all the experimental data... you will read it out of the mouth of Edstrelow on his thread...
L3000.gif

report also there :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/744839/damping-mechanical-resonance-distortion-of-stax-and-other-phones-with-sorbothane-and-other-materials

p.s. the effect of the sorb on my plastic Fostex was totally positive without negative...hence perfect... On the He 400 the  effect was extraordinary but not perfect , i must try other for, duro thickness, percentage of the surface covered. etc...it is my  ear-feeling

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #17,799 of 21,868
if anyone is willing to sell their pair of HE-6 and/or upgrade to the HE-1000, please PM me.

Oct 13, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #17,800 of 21,868
  if anyone is willing to sell their pair of HE-6 and/or upgrade to the HE-1000, please PM me.

Some folks have decided to upgrade (regrade?) from the HE1000 to the modded HE6
wink_face.gif

Put the sorbothane on one earpiece and played some of my most familiar tracks. Effects are very subtle - I would struggle to pick a difference in a blind test, I think. The A/B testing might be more effective if I had 2 modded HE6s to swap between - with only one headphone it is hard to pick a difference.

I wonder if the blutak mod is already covering a lot of the ground that the sorbothane does? I used plenty of blutak and that must be having a substantial damping effect already.

Anyway, I can't see this doing any harm, so I will do the other earpiece and see how it goes. Here's a pic. I am using 7 squares of 50 duro sorbothane around the housing.

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #17,801 of 21,868
Wow that was fast. Ordered vegan pads on 10th and arrived today to my apartment in Finland. This comfort is unreal. First time I have proper seal with HE-6. Those hifiman pads sucked. Way too shallow.

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #17,802 of 21,868

Some folks have decided to upgrade (regrade?) from the HE1000 to the modded HE6
wink_face.gif

Put the sorbothane on one earpiece and played some of my most familiar tracks. Effects are very subtle - I would struggle to pick a difference in a blind test, I think. The A/B testing might be more effective if I had 2 modded HE6s to swap between - with only one headphone it is hard to pick a difference.

I wonder if the blutak mod is already covering a lot of the ground that the sorbothane does? I used plenty of blutak and that must be having a substantial damping effect already.

Anyway, I can't see this doing any harm, so I will do the other earpiece and see how it goes. Here's a pic. I am using 7 squares of 50 duro sorbothane around the housing.

its experiment.... I had the 30 duro...it is really evident that the sound was way better for me with the 30 duro... Maybe the 50 duro is too hard...Maybe the blutak mod...
smile.gif
thanks for your impression... An important note too much of sorb is worse than little...By the way you must report on the thread of Edstrelow, the guy has more information, experience, and he will probably advise you better... i dont know the blutak mod...nor i had experience with 50 duro

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #17,803 of 21,868
Why do people prefer the vegan pads over the audeze leather pads?

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #17,804 of 21,868
  this will do the trick...i had try with 30 duro... be free to experiment with 40 or 50.... Please read the thread of Edstrelow the inititator of the sorb mod thread on the Stax....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SORBOTHANE-SHEET-6X6x1-10-VIBRATION-ISO-RUBBER-PAD-SOFT-30D-with-3M-ADHESIVE-/371378038013?hash=item5677db24fd

best regards and good luck

I've been confused about the Sorb mod from day one - I'll admit it.  I thought it went on the INSIDE of the cups, under the grills, in that 3/16" flat spot..................and now I see pics of it literally stuck on the OUTSIDE of the cups!    I've also seen and read about guys doing it on the inside so wow, I'm going to try the outside on my HE-400 and see what it does. 

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #17,805 of 21,868

Would you shoot a pic of the HE-400 with your version of the Sorb mod bud? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back