HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 15, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #17,836 of 21,867
  @TonyNewman, try the mod I detailed on post # 17701 with the mouse pad.  Just pick one up from a Staples or office supply store.  it is a generic mouse pad that has the thick rubber bottom.  See pics.  This will fix your treble issues.

You are a genius, Sir. I didn't have any old mouse pads available, but I have plenty of the adhesive sorbothane I was using to try the housing damping mod mentioned earlier in this thread (and elsewhere).

I started with 2 'blobs' of the sorbothane on each side - I can always try bigger patches later, but I think this size is about right. The hot treble sounds tamed and has lost that 'steely' edge it had (bordering on shrill at times). My treble test track is 'Goldfinger' by Shirley Bassey. That track has plenty of high brass (trumpets, I think) combined with powerful female vocals. Great test for treble response - the sorbothane mod passed with flying colours.

Pic of my first attempt below. I might try larger patches later, but I think these patches are doing all that I need - more might interfere with the 'openness' of my grill-less headphone.

For those that want to try this I am using 50 duro sorbothane adhesive sheets - available on Amazon - LINK

Oct 15, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #17,837 of 21,867
That's an interesting idea.  I suggest you try the mod EXACTLY as I describe including using a thick rubber mouse pad.  My mod doesn't impede the driver in any way.  Your sorbothane mod might eleviate some treble harshness but might induce a resonance or distortion elsewhere in the frequency response.  Seriously, a generic DELL mouse pad is like $1.50 on Amazon or at a local office supply store.  Give it a try, I think you will be blown away!

Oct 15, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #17,838 of 21,867
I'm going to stick with what I have for now. If I encounter issues that I can't fix by changing the size of the sorbothane patches I will revert to the mousepad mod as described.

I am pretty much 'blown away'  with what I have right now. As long my sorbothane treble fix hasn't broken anything else (and I don't think it has) then I am happy as is. Have a lot more listening to do before I can make a call on that, of course - only just put this together.

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #17,841 of 21,867
  Curious if anyone else with the HE6 bought the Lycan?  I am sitting here listening and honestly much much better than I ever expected.  Introductory price with the v5 opamp was only $249.  Volume is sitting under 11.

http://www.ssaudio.com.au/lycan-op-amp-test-bench/

Very interesting amp
popcorn.gif
But it's power is barely above 1W while driving HE6.

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #17,844 of 21,867
Interestingly, I don't find the HE6 bright at all. With the nfb 10.33 it was slightly on the brighter side, but with the M11 it's completely smooth with great bass, doesn't pound my head like my basshead cans but clear and deep bass. I am running with stock leather pads, let's see what the vegan pads add to it, should be here by the end of the week. 

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #17,845 of 21,867
Bright? You do my vegan felt mod yet? Covers the pleather on the back of the pad.

Yeah. I used your template but it only covered about half of the pleather. Printed to the same size. OD 3.25".

Seems my speaker amp was causing the extra brightness. With Master 11 it's pretty good. I'll have to take my word back on the MX-50. It's not better than Master 11. It's bit harsh and very aggressive. M11 is more refined. But still it gives a sample of what speaker amp can do.

Oct 15, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #17,846 of 21,867

You are a genius, Sir. I didn't have any old mouse pads available, but I have plenty of the adhesive sorbothane I was using to try the housing damping mod mentioned earlier in this thread (and elsewhere).

I started with 2 'blobs' of the sorbothane on each side - I can always try bigger patches later, but I think this size is about right. The hot treble sounds tamed and has lost that 'steely' edge it had (bordering on shrill at times). My treble test track is 'Goldfinger' by Shirley Bassey. That track has plenty of high brass (trumpets, I think) combined with powerful female vocals. Great test for treble response - the sorbothane mod passed with flying colours.

Pic of my first attempt below. I might try larger patches later, but I think these patches are doing all that I need - more might interfere with the 'openness' of my grill-less headphone.

For those that want to try this I am using 50 duro sorbothane adhesive sheets - available on Amazon - LINK

I fail to see the logic; to first take away the grill and then cover big pieces of the drivers. I don’t say it will not sound better, only that it looks a bit like you would go back to square one. Not all things in hifi is logical thou so who knows.

Oct 15, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #17,847 of 21,867
  I got Steelseries QCK pads in both 5mm and 3mm thickness, should work good right? 

Yeah as long as it's rubber.  Use the thicker one.  I think my mouse pad was about 7mm?  Also when you cut the pieces to length, make sure you leave one a little long so that the rubber ring has tension to it pushing against the cup.  You should be able to turn the headphone sideways and shake it without the rubber ring falling out.  Then put the grill back on.  

Oct 15, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #17,848 of 21,867
Yeah. I used your template but it only covered about half of the pleather. Printed to the same size. OD 3.25".

Seems my speaker amp was causing the extra brightness. With Master 11 it's pretty good. I'll have to take my word back on the MX-50. It's not better than Master 11. It's bit harsh and very aggressive. M11 is more refined. But still it gives a sample of what speaker amp can do.

Template should fit perfectly. Amp would explain it.

I fail to see the logic; to first take away the grill and then cover big pieces of the drivers. I don’t say it will not sound better, only that it looks a bit like you would go back to square one. Not all things in hifi is logical thou so who knows.

Agreed, blocking the back of the driver would probably collapse the soundstage.

Oct 15, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #17,850 of 21,867
The template is 3.25" wide and the pads are 4" wide. Inner circle lined up perfectly but the outer is nowhere near as big as the pads.

I had the same trouble with that template and thought that maybe I was just not blowing it up to full size properly... Regardless, I just stuck with my own cutouts that I had made, which covers all of the pleather inside of the pads. The difference between modded vegans and unmodded is not night and day, IMO, but I still found it beneficial without any drawbacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back