HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 2, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #1,591 of 21,879
I use 21 awg copper for all of my XLR pigtails and it sounds fine. Anyone who can tell a difference between 12" of 21 awg copper vs. 12" of boutique wire must have much better ears than I.

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #1,593 of 21,879
Yeah you're probably right. I was looking for 4-pins at the time so I may have seen what I wanted to see. I didn't want to shell out that kind of cash ATM anyways when I could get like 10 gold Neutriks for the same price.

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #1,594 of 21,879
Just to double-check, is this the correct pinout for the HE-6 and HE-5LE?

3 -  Right+
4 -  Right-
1 -  Left+
2 -  Left-

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #1,595 of 21,879

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I ordered on the 26th (6 days ago) and have not even received a shipping notice yet.  I called 2 days ago and talked to Mrs. T., she said I should get shipping notice soon, but so far nothing.  Starting to get worried.

I ordered on Nov. 16th, received on Nov. 22nd. When I received the email asking for a phone #, I replied to it. Found out later that I should have emailed my phone # to Ms. T. But anyway, I never received a shipping notice. I called Ms. T. on Nov. 22nd and emailed her my phone # as well that same day. But when I got home that same day, my HE6 was waiting for me. And I actually received the shipping notice the day after I have already received it.

Well, I am hoping that will happen to me!  Maybe it will show up today or tomorrow.  Just to be safe though, I will keep contacting them.  

SS - how did you send messages to shipping?  not sure who to contact.

After I paid them via paypal I E-Mailed MsT my phone number, then about 8 hours later I got a E-Mail from there shipping department (China) saying they needed my phone number.
I did a reply E-Mailed to there shipping department and informed MsT about this E-Mail. Away below is the E-Mail address.

<head.direct.4@gmail.com>

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #1,597 of 21,879
I now have solved my base problem for my HE6's, as it turned out it was a wall wart and a Nordost Vishnu power cord that was the source of the distortion. But as I said that slight bass distortion was only with high bit rate, high dynamic  movies, not audio CD's.

Anyway because of all my experiments with different amps, tubes, source players, wires, ect. I am becoming convinced that the HE6 is a great headphone but needs to be paired with high end head amp that can power the HE6 and has the dynamics and sonics ranges along with a higher end source player/DAC, to really bring out the best in the HE6.

Bottom line is be very careful on what amp/DAC you pair the HE6s with, otherwise you might as well get a pair of K701s because that is what you will end up with coming from the HE6s.

The HE6 has it all and more but must be paired with the right rig.

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #1,598 of 21,879

Quote:
I now have solved my base problem for my HE6's, as it turned out it was a wall wart and a Nordost Vishnu power cord that was the source of the distortion. But as I said that slight bass distortion was only with high bit rate, high dynamic  movies, not audio CD's.

Anyway because of all my experiments with different amps, tubes, source players, wires, ect. I am becoming convinced that the HE6 is a great headphone but needs to be paired with high end head amp that can power the HE6 and has the dynamics and sonics ranges along with a higher end source player/DAC, to really bring out the best in the HE6.

Bottom line is be very careful on what amp/DAC you pair the HE6s with, otherwise you might as well get a pair of K701s because that is what you will end up with coming from the HE6s.

The HE6 has it all and more but must be paired with the right rig.

It really is an excellent headphone. I noticed that when I listen to it after just turning on the amp, even after 10 or so minutes, the images are diffused and have no body. I have to wait for awhile before the images start having body.

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #1,599 of 21,879
Dec 3, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #1,600 of 21,879
Dec 3, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #1,601 of 21,879
You can experiment but most likely the A and B connection would be the best ohm matchup for the amp. 

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #1,602 of 21,879

Quote:
You can experiment but most likely the A and B connection would be the best ohm matchup for the amp. 

Hmm...  How would I conenct it to both A and B?

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #1,603 of 21,879
You can use either one. A and B means if you are connecting two sets of speakers, their impedance should be between 8 to 32 ohms.

Quote:
Quote:

Hmm...  How would I conenct it to both A and B?

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #1,604 of 21,879
You would bridge the A and B positive speaker for the right and A and B for the left. The bridging allows the amp to work better into the higher impedance. The power will go down as the impedance goes up. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back