HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 2, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #1,576 of 21,879
Hmm...  So I found a guy who can make me an XLR to spades cable for about $45, not including shipping to the US.  This is a bit steep for me...  Are there any cheaper options out there?

(BTW, making the cable myself is not an option for me)

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #1,577 of 21,879

Quote:
Hmm...  So I found a guy who can make me an XLR to spades cable for about $45, not including shipping to the US.  This is a bit steep for me...  Are there any cheaper options out there?

That's very reasonable. I'm making one myself and just the parts cost more than that.

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #1,578 of 21,879
That all depends on the materials used for construction (and the shipping costs!)

Quote:

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #1,580 of 21,879

Quote:
Quote:

That's very reasonable. I'm making one myself and just the parts cost more than that.

Just to clarify, this is for a relative short cable (around 0.5m) just from the HE-5LE's male XLR connector to the speaker taps.  It's not a full cable.

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #1,582 of 21,879
For the HE-6, is it worth the extra expense of 3-core OFC copper cable, or is 2-core enough?

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #1,584 of 21,879

Quote:
I think 3-solid core of 22awg/spade is overkill for for low-powered hp application. I'm using 2-solid core of 24awg/spade.

I'm being offered a 2-core cable that is "equivalent to a single OFC wire with an AWG of 17".  Is that enough?  Otherwise I'll just get the 3-core.

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #1,586 of 21,879

Quote:
I don't see the point of having 17 or lower awg cables with no purpose but to connect a 24awgish sized cable to the speaker terminals... 17 is definitely more than enough :O

Interesting!  I didn't know that the stock cable was around 24 AWG.  I guess that means that a 17 AWG equivalent connector is thick enough.

I read that one of the advantages of the new HE-6 cable is that it's "single-crystal" copper instead of OFC (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/hifiman2/2.html).  Does that really make a difference?  I wouldn't want to degrade the "single-crystal" signal path by putting OFC in the end.  And yet "single-crystal" sounds a bit like snake oil...

BTW, I'm a bit confused as to what comes with the HE-6.  According to the AV Guide review, "the HE-6’s signal cable harness comes with two different sets of terminations—one configured with a ¼” phone jack terminations, and the other configured with left/right set of banana plug connectors" (http://www.avguide.com/review/hifiman-he-6-planar-magnetic-headphones-playback-37?page=4)

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #1,587 of 21,879
The prototype had that but no longer?  Regardless the 4 pin xlrs will break your so called "single-crystal" path so meh I wouldn't worry about it too much.  I don't know of any boutique 4 pin xlrs.  17 awg is pretty thick for a headphone cable generally.  I don't know what the stock cable is but I heard it was fairly thin.  But yes 17AWG should be thick enough.  If you don't want OFC 4' of OCC copper really isn't that expensive (or 8 if you want a 2' long cable...)

Dec 2, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #1,590 of 21,879

Quote:
The prototype had that but no longer?  Regardless the 4 pin xlrs will break your so called "single-crystal" path so meh I wouldn't worry about it too much.  I don't know of any boutique 4 pin xlrs.  17 awg is pretty thick for a headphone cable generally.  I don't know what the stock cable is but I heard it was fairly thin.  But yes 17AWG should be thick enough.  If you don't want OFC 4' of OCC copper really isn't that expensive (or 8 if you want a 2' long cable...)

I saw a Furtutech 4-pin connnector on eBay for $85, that's boutique enough for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back