HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 1, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #1,546 of 21,879

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I'm fairly certain a 11x balanced b22 build might work for a HE6 but would have a horrible hiss with more sensitive cans.  Wouldn't just be about room for adjustment.  I could be wrong, though I am certain you can have too much gain for higher sensitivity cans. (http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/ubb/showpage.php?fnum=3&tid=7452&fpage=25 see last 2 posts, straight from AMB himself).  The builder is asking about setting the gain but I mean, it is kind of important.  But it is true you can change the gain by swapping out 2 resistors and 4 capacitors per board, so that's fairly easy.

The Beta 22 I used has a total gain of 10 balanced, and at the levels I listen to I noticed no hiss personally from some of my more sensitive headphones. Perhaps if you turn the volume up more with sensitive cans, hissing would be more apparent. 

I've also tried it with two of the three headphones the previous post mentioned--- the LCD-2 and HD800--- and both worked very well.

A total gain of 10 balanced so the gain is set to 5x on each board?  That's less than half what I was saying and an 11x balanced build is probably overkill... 10 balanced might be okay I guess but the guy who runs headfonia found his balanced 5x gain build to be insufficient for classical and other quieter recordings with the HE6.  I'm not saying anything about the B22 not being good, I think it's great... just saying, don't go too crazy with the gain.  I certainly feel it could be made to power an he6 well, especially if it's set up for speakers with 4 s22s :O.

Yes, 5x on each board.

The great thing is, you can pretty easily have your Beta 22 changed to adapt to your needs. That's what inspired my annoyance with the builder's comments. It led a customer to believe the Beta 22 was highly UNadaptable and as a result, turned him away from it.

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #1,547 of 21,879
I think that's where the point about my indecisiveness to pursue the beta 22 .  I have to decide whether I will have the balanced input or stay with the unbalanced
input and I plan to have the perfectwave DAC as a part of my balanced input sources (turn away  may be an exaggeration by me).  However I have to decide between the
LCD-2 or the HE6 for the gain setting.  I don't think I have enough time to determine between the two because there is no clearcut winner.  I  prefer the treble of the HE6 but I also love
the richness of the midrange of the LCD2: the clarity, transparency, soundstage of the midrange HE6.  I prefer the bass impact, quanity and quality of the LCd2
 more than a somewhat more agility and probably deeper bass of the HE6.   It also depends on the type of music you are listening to and I listen to a wide variety of music
and that's where the indecisiveness came in.   I should say I do not turn away from the beta 22 but the difficulty to choose between the LCD2 and HE6 and the differrence
in driving power to the HE6 vs LCD2   made me think I need more time to figure this out and in the mean time I may try cheaper but solid state amplifier to use with both
headphones and determine which one I will use more with the beta22.  Also I am testing on different cables for the two headphones for my music listening.

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #1,548 of 21,879

Quote:
I don't know about the beta22 but I have contacted one of the site that will make the beta22 for you though amb website, he mentioned
that we need to assign one primary headphone for the beta22 to drive to have the maximum benefit so I don't know about the huge range of
flexibility of the beta 22
For those who would like to recable the HE6 will have to be cautious about the recable because the cable connector (to the headphone) is
difficult to make a good solder as I have experienced with one of my recable the sound did not come out from the left side . We had
checked the connetions which were OK and we had to explore the cable near the cable connector ( to the headphone) and saw the defect
there.   I am using the HE6 with the stock cable and now changed to the previously corrected Twag (for the HE5) and it worked wonderfully.  However the
another cable needed to be fix as I have to change the two sides of the connectors (the connectors that the cable company used are bigger than
the ones recently provided by the HE6 within the box but  more difficult to solder properly.
I will be able to compare the HE6 using the Twag cable   vs  the Audeze LCD-2 using the Zeus aproditecu29 or Twag   vs  the Sennheiser HD800 with the
Zeus aproditecu29 cable (which will have more copper to make the bass better) soon.  I also have one apuresound V3 cable for Audeze LCD2 but
it hasn't arrived yet.  I have already used the Twag with the Sennheiser HD800 but I don't think it's good match because it made the bass in the HD800
thinner and bass  doesn't seem right to me.  I will use my ZDT which Craig has rewired into 2 sets of 4pin XLR output and one 1/4" jack and I will use the balanced
4 pin for the Audeze lcd2 and another 4 pin for the HE6 ( then we can directly compare the two with the same song the same amplifier almost at the same time)
and  the 1/4"  jack for the HD800 but I will switch the HD800 into balanced  4pin from time to time.  I will use the 1/4" for the Sennheiser HD800 because it is easier
to drive.  During the burnin I think that the Twag make the HE6 shines, the bass response of the Audeze LCD2 is unbelievably deep with massive soundstage with the Zeus
but it still maintain its bass agility, the midrange and  bass response of the HD800 and Zeus cable has more quantity and better than the stock and Twag

Are the he-6 connectors different from the he-5 connectors? The he series connectors I purchased on the website were the same as the ones supplied in the he-5 box. Unless these are drastically different, I wouldn't trust anyone who claims they are difficult to solder to to build anything for me. These connectors are super easy to work with. I have built multiple he series cables. These are some of the easiest connectors I ever soldered to. They're are much easier than the senn connectors(which are a little difficult to get the solder to stick to). I didn't even have to use a smaller tip either.

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #1,549 of 21,879

Quote:
Sorry if that post may offend you.  That site was recommended to be the site to assemble beta22 by amb.
We have discussed about the specification of the beta22 and the upgrades.  Later he asked me to choose the primary headphone
to use with the beta22 as I have 3 headphones that I am using with different driving requirements: Sennheiser HD800, AudezeLCD2, HE6
and he mentioned that I need to make the decision which I will use as the primary headphone to get the maximal benefit and that is the part
of the reason that I did not pursue on with the beta22 thinking that if I have to use only one headphone while the other two may not get the
maximal benefit what is the use of that.  I already have the ZDT but I think I may need one solid state amp in case that I may use with different
kind of music especially for the balanced input for the more difficult phone.  However  I think I may be wrong as the ZDT can handle most of the
difficult cans without any problem and it does not have  balanced inputs.  It is also very good for metal or rock music and I am now listening Metallica with
ZDT + Audeze LCD2 (Zeus cable) vs HE6 + Twag  with very good , deep fast bass.
  That's the reason why I may be looking for a good solid state? amp with balanced
input that do not cost me a fortune e.g.  and boomslang
but I am not rushing  now. 

Quote:
If you are in the market for a balanced solid state amp, the Violectric HPA V181 might be worth considering as well. I haven't gotten to listen yet, but reports indicate it's a great performer for under $1000.

FWIW, from what I have read the v181 isn't really that powerful and Violectric is working on a balanced version of the v200 to fill that need. The 4 amps that kiertijai mentioned (Schiit Lyr, Ray Samuels SR71B, HiFiMAN EF6 , iBasso Toucan) are probably the top affordable choices right now but the two tabletop models are not available yet.

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #1,551 of 21,879

Quote:
So because you don't want to use the computer for volume control, what is needed to use a couple of balanced monobloc (125w @ 8 ohms) Rotels with the HE-6? From computer> DAC-balanced>_____> amps. A preamp with analog volume control or a DAC with digital volume control?

Just cam across this in another thread, it looks like it has an internal digital volume control and no headphone amp, balanced outs and a remote for $300:

http://emotiva.com/xda1.shtm

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #1,552 of 21,879

Quote:

Quote:
So because you don't want to use the computer for volume control, what is needed to use a couple of balanced monobloc (125w @ 8 ohms) Rotels with the HE-6? From computer> DAC-balanced>_____> amps. A preamp with analog volume control or a DAC with digital volume control?

Just cam across this in another thread, it looks like it has an internal digital volume control and no headphone amp, balanced outs and a remote for $300:

http://emotiva.com/xda1.shtm

Thank you for finding this.

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #1,553 of 21,879
I'm waiting for some reviews after this comes available. On paper it looks like the bargain of the year for the price. But then again, that's on paper. The internals looks really, really good. On their forum a lot of people are saying that the balanced outputs would even be powerful enough to drive efficient cans(of course the any of the orthos).

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #1,556 of 21,879
is this good

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #1,559 of 21,879
I have problems with at least 3 cable companies that do recable for HE5/HE6.  This is the third company.   The first two were the recable for HE5 and I have
fixed the problem at the solder point and I have used them perfectly after the new solder.   This third company used a bigger connector, however the same
problem  happened so I need to change both connectors (left and right) and am still waiting for the cable to be sent back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back