HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 2, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #15,541 of 21,868

I hope HE1000 is about the same price as Audeze LCD3/XC/X, it will be very challenging for Audezes especially they are NOT well designed(comfort-wise, IMO). 

If the HE-1000 sits at around $2000 and is considered definitively better than the HE6, then I would get one. I already prefer HE-6 to LCD3, and $2000 isn't THAT much, especially after a while when you'll be able to get one used for $1500 or so.   

My fear is that it'd be around $2500+ and I cannot justify for myself despite loving the hobby. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #15,542 of 21,868
  If the HE-1000 sits at around $2000 and is considered definitively better than the HE6, then I would get one....

For many HEadFiers the baseline would be the modded HE6 - a much higher standard than the stock HE6.

The HE1000 will have to outperform the modded HE6 significantly, and be no harder to drive, for me to part with my cash. That is a tall order, given how well the modded HE6 performs when well amped.

Then again, perhaps the HE1000 can be modded to lift its performance to something beyond the modded HE6 - now that would be interesting
evil_smiley.gif

A very possible outcome is that the HE1000 outperforms the stock HE6, but not the modded HE6 (or not by enough to justify the substantial cost) - the HE6 gets discontinued, then the NOS HE6 becomes a 'Holy Grail' headphone for modding by crazed HEadFiers.

It's going to be an interesting journey.

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #15,543 of 21,868

Then again, perhaps the HE1000 can be modded to lift its performance to something beyond the modded HE6 - now that would be interesting
evil_smiley.gif

I feel like that would be a shame. If Dr. Fang is so smart, why doesn't he just use the right shape/materials for cups, use the right amount of wool or other damping stuff in the right places, etc? If this is a "statement" "flagship" headphone, why ship it in a state such that an hour of amateur modding can immensely improve it?  

There must be something about headphone production that I do not quite grasp.   

Analogy: If I buy a Miata, I might expect to want to mod it to make it better as a racing machine. But if I buy the top of the line Ferrari, I would expect it to already be as good as it could be. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #15,544 of 21,868

I feel like that would be a shame. If Dr. Fang is so smart, why doesn't he just use the right shape/materials for cups, use the right amount of wool or other damping stuff in the right places, etc? If this is a "statement" "flagship" headphone, why ship it in a state such that an hour of amateur modding can immensely improve it?  

There must be something about headphone production that I do not quite grasp.   

Analogy: If I buy a Miata, I might expect to want to mod it to make it better as a racing machine. But if I buy the top of the line Ferrari, I would expect it to already be as good as it could be. 

Makes very little sense to me either, but that is how it is - at least with the HE6.

Hopefully the HE1000 is closer to being optimised right out of the box.

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #15,545 of 21,868
If I was Fang, I will price HE1000 bit below or above Audeze lines, creating a direct competition for planars.
I am happy that they didn't make the angled earpads as it was extremely annoying for a long listening session, (or I can be wrong based on the picture).

I hope Hifiman followed the german engineering by sticking with the angled drivers approach instead of angled glued ear pads. :wink:

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #15,547 of 21,868
I love HE-6. One of my favorite headphone, but I am afraid to say that HE-1000 is in a class of its own.

Yes, I am aware of most of HE6 mods out there, and have listened to most of them. Whether they are truly better than the stock HE-6 is a subjective matter, and I totally respect everyone's opinion and their work to pursue the best sound for their taste. However, HE-1000 is simply and undeniably better. It will set a new bar for all other headphones. 

A very possible outcome is that the HE1000 outperforms the stock HE6, but not the modded HE6 (or not by enough to justify the substantial cost) - the HE6 gets discontinued, then the NOS HE6 becomes a 'Holy Grail' headphone for modding by crazed HEadFiers.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jan 2, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #15,548 of 21,868
A good marketing effort would be to send the 1000s through a mix of current HE owners for an honest review.

then i will be the happy camper :)

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #15,549 of 21,868
Yes, I am aware of most of HE6 mods out there, and have listened to most of them. Whether they are truly better than the stock HE-6 is a subjective matter, and I totally respect everyone's opinion and their work to pursue the best sound for their taste. However, HE-1000 is simply and undeniably better. It will set a new bar for all other headphones. 

I will wait for some thoughts on that from some of the current modded HE6 owners on the forum.

If that is the case, then HiFiMan will have pulled off a wonderful achievement and fully deserve my cash for the HE1000.

Can you please confirm if the HE1000 is easier to drive than the HE6? I have heard an efficiency figure of 90dB, but that seems crazy high for a membrane even thinner than the HE6?

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #15,550 of 21,868
Oh gee, the bossman casually brushes HE-6 mods (which are quite mature, measured by several sources, and widely adopted these days) as subjective, then says the new flagship will perform better than the older models without any real info given. C'mon man, give us something a little more substantive than that.

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #15,551 of 21,868
  Oh gee, the bossman casually brushes HE-6 mods (which are quite mature, measured by several sources, and widely adopted these days) as subjective, then says the new flagship will perform better than the older models without any real info given. C'mon man, give us something a little more substantive than that.

I took the reply from HiFiman with a big grain of salt - they have to promote the HE1000 as a big step up from the HE6 (modded or not) otherwise who is going to buy the thing?

Anyone that has modded a HE6 (fuzzor + grills + pads) knows that it transforms the headphone into something quite different (and better) than the stock unit.

Who knows - it might just be good enough to slay the modded HE6. I absolutely hope so, but that is a very big task, and only time will tell.

The only opinion I will take much notice of when it comes to that (and much else) is the other modded HE6 owners on this forum. Only they can give a semi-objective view on if the HE1000 really beats a modded HE6, and if the difference is worth the cost (likely to be hefty).

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #15,553 of 21,868
I don't quite get it that they will discontinue the HE-6 once the HE-1000 comes out. If it is way better than the HE-6 then its sales should not be affected by the HE-6. Besides, it will be priced so high that the number of sales will not be as many. And the HE-6 would nicely fill the gap between the HE-560 and the HE-1000.

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #15,554 of 21,868

To be honest, I don't mind this. I rather have a team passionate about their own product, than otherwise. As always, we will form our own conclusions about the sound.

PS I've also seen impressions of a newly launched CIEM from a reviewer claiming that they are "like hearing my <previous flagship> x10". BTW, said reviewer had previously gushed about the previous flagship at launch date too. I won't name names, but this comes from a recent launch. The new flagship product was 50% more expensive than the previous one. In fact, even the previous flagship was 50% pricier than the first flagship.

Compared to that, I think this chap's post is rather moderate. :)

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #15,555 of 21,868
  To be honest, I don't mind this. I rather have a team passionate about their own product, than otherwise. As always, we will form our own conclusions about the sound.

PS I've also seen impressions of a newly launched CIEM from a reviewer claiming that they are "like hearing my <previous flagship> x10". BTW, said reviewer had previously gushed about the previous flagship at launch date too. I won't name names, but this comes from a recent launch. The new flagship product was 50% more expensive than the previous one. In fact, even the previous flagship was 50% pricier than the first flagship.

Compared to that, I think this chap's post is rather moderate. :)

I have learned the hard way to trust only a grouping of opinions from the user base - one thing that this forum is very good for. Views from the manufacturer / distributor / semi-professional reviewing sites ... etc - can be interesting but they can all have a vested interest of one form or another.

If there is a consensus among the current modded HE6 owners that the HE1000 is a significant leap forward then I will happily buy one, otherwise not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back