HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 3, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #15,556 of 21,868
Those are some strong words. Stock as good as modded? HA!

A bit of a shame to not let me beta test as been a proud owner of an HE-6 for 4 years. It has been the only headphone I've owned during that time while have demoed many high end rigs that were able to take those cans to their potential.

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #15,557 of 21,868
  Those are some strong words. Stock as good as modded? HA!

Bizarre words, really. I would have expected better from the folks that make the headphone.

No doubt the HE1000 betters the stock HE6 - but can it beat the modded HE6? And can it beat it by enough to justify the $$$ to purchase the HE1000? Those are the questions that really interest me. Right now I am curious about the first, and downright skeptical about the second.

The response from HiFiMan doesn't fill me with confidence. Looking forward to some user reviews (the only reviews worth much in my book).

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #15,558 of 21,868
We'll see how the rhetoric matches the sound and the price.....when we get some impressions and comparisons,  not from the 'pro' reviewers but from regular owners of HE-6 here.  Anyway, for me, if the price is what it's rumoured to be and given the music that I listen to, barring truly exceptional performance I see an electrostat in my future rather than a HE-1000.  Also, looks are relative but to me they basically look like a ripped-off  bling version of the abyss.   I wonder if the build quality is really better when you think away the chrome finish.

Jan 3, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #15,559 of 21,868
About the modded HE-6 vs. the HE-1000..  

As we can see thus far the HE-1000 has the grill mod by default.  So they did actually listen to the user base in that case.  

The felt mod to some is mandatory to others not so much.  I know a few that took the felt mod out and just went with the grill mod.

The pads - Now here is where it's different for a lot of users.  I have the Vegan, Focus, and the Focus-A pads.  I use the Focus or Focus-A.  I would guess the HE-1000 will be using some form of the Focus pads..

The HE-1000 is almost a full mod in it self.  Until someone opens one up and checks out how it's dampened - it may or may not need the felt mod.

I would like to know more about the connectors and stock cable.  I will immediately look to see if they can be hardwired and depending on the sound sig use a copper or a silver (type) cable.  But who knows, maybe the stack cable is a really good one..

Jan 3, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #15,560 of 21,868
anything we say is just speculation at this point... Fang.... bring the cans so we can dissect them 
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #15,562 of 21,868
  My opinion is that if they wanted the he-6 to sound like the modded version, they would have done it. You think they didn't play around with all that stuff for thousands of hours? 

What they want is to sell headphones.  If you want to do that without too many headaches and complaints, you need consistency and a standardised, simple production process that yields an optimum for the average user.  That's not necessarily the same as getting the best possible sound out of 'em.  Maybe they spent countless hours on it, but I guess the same applies for the EF-6 and many people -I count myself among them- feel that's a seriously overpriced and under specced amp.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #15,563 of 21,868
What they want is to sell headphones.  If you want to do that without too many headaches and complaints, you need consistency and a standardised, simple production process that yields an optimum for the average user.  That's not necessarily the same as getting the best possible sound out of 'em.

Yup. This.

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #15,564 of 21,868
  I love HE-6. One of my favorite headphone, but I am afraid to say that HE-1000 is in a class of its own.

Yes, I am aware of most of HE6 mods out there, and have listened to most of them. Whether they are truly better than the stock HE-6 is a subjective matter, and I totally respect everyone's opinion and their work to pursue the best sound for their taste. However, HE-1000 is simply and undeniably better. It will set a new bar for all other headphones. 

smiley_thumb.gif
 Thanks for taking time out of your demanding schedule to address a group of enthusiasts properly driving the much heralded HiFiMAN HE-6 headphones.

When time permits, please share with us the new cans' efficiency (or lack thereof).

Kind regards,

Silent One
HE-6 owner (modded)

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #15,565 of 21,868
Finally had a chance to listen to this headphone for an extended period at home. The HE-6 I am borrowing has the grill and pad mods, and possibly some other damping mod. It's better than stock. Tape hiss and treble noise are exaggerated, so poor recordings need not apply. Otherwise there's a better sense of space, great detail and less glare than I recall.

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #15,566 of 21,868
The HE1000 sounds very good.. I was surprised. Definitely a step up from my modded HE6 imho

Price is going to be very high though...

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #15,567 of 21,868
  Finally had a chance to listen to this headphone for an extended period at home. The HE-6 I am borrowing has the grill and pad mods, and possibly some other damping mod. It's better than stock. Tape hiss and treble noise are exaggerated, so poor recordings need not apply. Otherwise there's a better sense of space, great detail and less glare than I recall.

Mind telling us the amp and source used? 
beerchug.gif

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #15,569 of 21,868

Awww  Schiit.  A step up from a fully modded HE-6?  Now that's saying something.. 

I think so myself but time will tell if everyone thinks the same, i will most likely grab one straight away :)

Comfort is a lot better than the he-6 by a large margin too. Very comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back