HiFiMan HE-5LE + Matrix M-Stage = Ok?
Feb 15, 2011 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gridlock

Head-Fier
I am new to headphone listening, and recently purchased the AKG K702 and Matrix M-Stage.  I'm now so enamored with listening through cans that I'm already thinking of an upgrade.  I'm interested in the HiFiMan HE-5LE as it appears it would be a nice upgrade to the AKG's at a somewhat reasonable price, and it seems like good bank for the buck.  I'm also interested in all the fuss about orthos.  I currently have the M-Stage and hoping that it will be sufficient for powering the HE-5LE.  Anyone have an opinion about that combination?  I don't listen at loud levels, and listen to mostly singer-songwriter, folk, folk-rock, and classical.  I realize HiFiMan sells a companion amp, but would rather not outlay the extra cash at this point.

Any opinions would be welcome; thanks!

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 4
im gonna take a gander at this & see if it helps. on top of a few other cans im a HE5-LE owner too & though i've not heard the Matrix, i have heard the HE5-LE thru a buddies Heed canamp (which is suppos to drive K701s well). For my needs, i had to crank the canamp up to 3'clock & above to get any fun out of it.

even then, compared with my usual vintage integrated amps, the Canamp sounded thin & lacks body & dynamics. & it also started to distort once i cranked it up past 4'clock.

most headamps outputs in 100-500mv max depending on design. it is my personal opinion that the Hifiman orthos need amps in the single digit full watts atleast to drive it anywhere close to optimum. here's a quick idea, instead of thinking headamps, think regular home amps. most ppl already have a hifi at home so it wont any cost nothin. ifnot one can purchase an integrated amp or receiver if one wants a dose of good ol FM (which is surprizingly good if one has a good tuner with similar broadcasts & reception but thats another story) for a little as $50, modern vintage or otherwise. after that, all u need is a 4pin XLR pigtail adapter to your amps speaker taps - lots of DIY folks on this here good forum can make u one if u cant.

if u are gonna invest in a Hifiman orthos, then go the full route & feed it the power (current to be exact) it needs. goodluck

Feb 16, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks scottie.  I power my loudspeakers with a pair of Nuforce Ref 9 V2 monoblocs, so I suppose I could ask Nuforce about driving higher impedance cans, but part of me would want to keep my stereo and phones seperate.  Hmmm, maybe I'll take another look at the LCD-2...  It's too bad HiFiMan's stuff requres so much joice.

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 4
If yo nuforce monoblks are SS amps, they would have no issues driving the HE5-LE. Only certain tube amps (OTL I think or is it TO??!) mite have issues driving 50ohm impedance load. It really not an issue of needing or requiring big wattage amps, it's more of do u want the best out of them.

U can power it with a HF5 too & I hear they only cost $400 plus u can can use for other cans too. I hear they work good with other low impedance phones. Though I've not heard an LCD2, I bliv it too will benefit from a good beefy amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back