HifiMan HE-560 US Touring Event - Sign up List Updated
Dec 10, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #136 of 148
  Received the pair just now, everything came in great condition (except the outside of the boxes). Having never tried anything beyond my HD650s, this is a new experience for me. They are definitely much airier and sparkly than the 650s and have a similar sound signature to my Q701s, but the layers are much easier to discern and depth to the presentation is expanded. I have to agree with bluemonkeyflyer, acoustic guitar is PERFECT. More impressions to come.

spbach,

I'm happy to hear the Touring HE-560 made it to you despite the box damage. Shippers are a Tough Bunch! The package left Memphis intact. I'm glad I applied extra tape at all edges.

I agree with your impressions comparing HE-560 with HD-650 and Q701. The HD-650's are too dark and the Q701's are too bright. HE-560 sits in the Goldilocks Zone. Of course, being planar they have a different presention than dynamic headphones. I prefer planars, myself.

I will add that, during the delay while waiting for direction from Team HiFi Man about where/when to ship, I loaned the HE-560 to an audiophile friend. He compared them to LCD2 v1 and HE-6. He told me HE-560 was positioned between the other two. He thought LCD2 had better bass than the other two, HE-560 had better treble than the other two, and HE-560 topped the others for midrange clarity. To his ears, HE-6 sounded smeared in the bass and midrange areas such that imaging of instruments in busy, complicated passages was "blurred." HE-560 was also the most comfortable to him and I generally agree with his impressions, FWIW.

~ BMF

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #137 of 148
spbach,

I'm happy to hear the Touring HE-560 made it to you despite the box damage. Shippers are a Tough Bunch! The package left Memphis intact. I'm glad I applied extra tape at all edges.

I agree with your impressions comparing HE-560 with HD-650 and Q701. The HD-650's are too dark and the Q701's are too bright. HE-560 sits in the Goldilocks Zone. Of course, being planar they have a different presention than dynamic headphones. I prefer planars, myself.

I will add that, during the delay while waiting for direction from Team HiFi Man about where/when to ship, I loaned the HE-560 to an audiophile friend. He compared them to LCD2 v1 and HE-6. He told me HE-560 was positioned between the other two. He thought LCD2 had better bass than the other two, HE-560 had better treble than the other two, and HE-560 topped the others for midrange clarity. To his ears, HE-6 sounded smeared in the bass and midrange areas such that imaging of instruments in busy, complicated passages was "blurred." HE-560 was also the most comfortable to him and I generally agree with his impressions, FWIW.

~ BMF
Very interesting comments from a your friend. What did he use to drive the 6? His comments are opposite mine in areas.

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #140 of 148
Received the East Coast 2 (formerly Canadian) pair from dxanex on Monday, well packaged and in great time. All the extras are here, though I doubt I'll have much time for pad rolling...I'm having far too much fun listening to these as is. 

Cheers!

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #142 of 148
The finished retail-version pads. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #144 of 148
Started with Focus, now trying out the Focus-A. Initial impression is that they're softer and much more comfortable...wasn't expecting that kind of difference. 

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #148 of 148
EDIT: Delete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back