= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 10, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #21,046 of 21,171
Update & Warning
One driver got damaged, NOT BY ANYTHING I DID!
Warning first
the diaphragm of HIFIMAN headphones can get seriously damaged, deformed even stuck to the magnets if the headphone is pushed with earcups against a flat surface, such as a table (my case) or for example, a speaker stand.
There is no air escape outlet for safety.
The earcups can trap air, a sudden press, the air has no where to go, it pushes the diaphragm to the magnets by a sizable force.
This alone can deform and distort the membrane, even cause tears and open circuit.
To my horror the metal foil is stuck-on the thin membrane using adhesive, some of that adhesive was still on the membrane, it caused my membrane to stick to the magnet assembly permanently. That driver was as good as dead.

The update and HIFIMAN response
I made the mistake of dismantling the driver to investigate, thereby voiding my warranty - I knew that anyway.
- I contacted HIFIMAN to see if I could buy a diaphragm. I explained how the problem had occured and included pictures. Saying there is no point in shipping the whole thing back to China.
- They said NO no diaphragm, but perhaps they could repair..
- I emailed again, asking if I could buy a whole driver.
- They said NO, no spare parts, but asked me if I re-consider sending the whole thing for repair, but offered $19 discount if I purchased a whole new pair.
- I emailed again, to get a price on repair if I shipped the whole thing back to China.
- They said Not really, reason being the cost of shipping to and from China + repair cost would be not worth it!
- I emailed back, asking them if they were serious! no after sales service, as it wouldn't be ecconomical?
- They came back saying the driver must be replaced and it will cost $129 (suddenly they found spare parts) but doubled down that adding cost of shipping to and from (& this time) import duties, I should re consider and accept the $19 discount.

What message is there?
Obviously parts are available, but HIFIMAN won't sell them, do their best to pursuade you to buy whole new headphone.
They not only won't help or facilitate service, they sabotage it. (By not sending parts out)
Additionally HIFIMAN have no service centre in the whole of Europe!
If You buy from HIFIMAN and you don't have warranty, should something go wrong, you have a fancy door-stop! Forgive me, if HIFIMAN had a stellar reputation for quality control then I could have overlooked this, but we all have heard stories about their quality control , they do have a reputation.
Is it just me? don't think so, see this.
Knowing the above, should I buy from them again? and use my $19 discount ..... :zipper_mouth:
This is a potential risk with most planar magnetic headphones - Audeze warns against this very problem in their own literature. So it is not a Hifiman issue per se. I am not excusing Hifiman for treating you poorly and I hope they do make this right for you (Audeze replaced both drivers under warranty when it happened to me) but, in fairness, it should be clear that this is not a Hifiman QC issue - it is just the nature of planar magnetic cans.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #21,047 of 21,171
This is a potential risk with most planar magnetic headphones - Audeze warns against this very problem in their own literature. So it is not a Hifiman issue per se. I am not excusing Hifiman for treating you poorly and I hope they do make this right for you (Audeze replaced both drivers under warranty when it happened to me) but, in fairness, it should be clear that this is not a Hifiman QC issue - it is just the nature of planar magnetic cans.
I understand, and Hifiman have got in touch after this post, trying to remedy the situation.
The warning regarding this issue should be in very large print, with flashing neons!
Also I believe all planar manufacturers should devise a technique to implement an sir pressure release valve into these headphones for safety.
My (IEM) Sennheiser IE 400 Pros have such a vent built in!
Otherwise shoving an air tight IEM deep in your ear canal, will trap air, either damaging the diaphragm on the IEM or your eardrums.
Couple of friction loaded straws should do the trick!

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #21,049 of 21,171
Got some more brass bars to finish the job.

Well what do you know? just discovered this:

1631610929250.png

Aparantly Hifiman been doing this for years, on other models though!

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #21,050 of 21,171
Update & Warning
One driver got damaged, NOT BY ANYTHING I DID!
Warning first
the diaphragm of HIFIMAN headphones can get seriously damaged, deformed even stuck to the magnets if the headphone is pushed with earcups against a flat surface, such as a table (my case) or for example, a speaker stand.
There is no air escape outlet for safety.
The earcups can trap air, a sudden press, the air has no where to go, it pushes the diaphragm to the magnets by a sizable force.
This alone can deform and distort the membrane, even cause tears and open circuit.
To my horror the metal foil is stuck-on the thin membrane using adhesive, some of that adhesive was still on the membrane, it caused my membrane to stick to the magnet assembly permanently. That driver was as good as dead.

The update and HIFIMAN response
I made the mistake of dismantling the driver to investigate, thereby voiding my warranty - I knew that anyway.
- I contacted HIFIMAN to see if I could buy a diaphragm. I explained how the problem had occured and included pictures. Saying there is no point in shipping the whole thing back to China.
- They said NO no diaphragm, but perhaps they could repair..
- I emailed again, asking if I could buy a whole driver.
- They said NO, no spare parts, but asked me if I re-consider sending the whole thing for repair, but offered $19 discount if I purchased a whole new pair.
- I emailed again, to get a price on repair if I shipped the whole thing back to China.
- They said Not really, reason being the cost of shipping to and from China + repair cost would be not worth it!
- I emailed back, asking them if they were serious! no after sales service, as it wouldn't be ecconomical?
- They came back saying the driver must be replaced and it will cost $129 (suddenly they found spare parts) but doubled down that adding cost of shipping to and from (& this time) import duties, I should re consider and accept the $19 discount.

What message is there?
Obviously parts are available, but HIFIMAN won't sell them, do their best to pursuade you to buy whole new headphone.
They not only won't help or facilitate service, they sabotage it. (By not sending parts out)
Additionally HIFIMAN have no service centre in the whole of Europe!
If You buy from HIFIMAN and you don't have warranty, should something go wrong, you have a fancy door-stop! Forgive me, if HIFIMAN had a stellar reputation for quality control then I could have overlooked this, but we all have heard stories about their quality control , they do have a reputation.
Is it just me? don't think so, see this.
Knowing the above, should I buy from them again? and use my $19 discount ..... :zipper_mouth:
Response from Hifiman
Hifiman representatives PM'ed me after seeing this post.
They kindly replaced the entire unit at no charge, stating the customer service agent who dealt with me originally was new and there was a lanhuage barrier.
So all is good, I got a replacement.
Thanx Hifiman

Oct 10, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #21,052 of 21,171
I there any possibility to get a cable for the HE560 V1? Whats the name of those connectors?

They’re SMC connectors, and it’s easier to find if you look for “HiFIMAN HE-500 cable” since that model never transitioned off of those connectors unlike the HE-560.

Here’s one on eBay that ships from China. I checked Amazon.de but no luck there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5N-OCC-Hea...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

There were also some that ship from the UK and those were higher quality but also substantially pricier.

Dec 12, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #21,053 of 21,171
To me, the Mojo / HE-560 synergy is close to incredible. Something just feels so right when these two play together. Did some head to head with the Mojo / Edition X pairing and enjoyed the HE-560 more.
Blue cable is Coax digital RCA-3.5mm called NF 113 DI from Oehlbach connected to Volumio/Raspberry Pi.

HE-560_Chord_Mojo.png

Dec 12, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #21,054 of 21,171
To me, the Mojo / HE-560 synergy is close to incredible. Something just feels so right when these two play together. Did some head to head with the Mojo / Edition X pairing and enjoyed the HE-560 more.
Blue cable is Coax digital RCA-3.5mm called NF 113 DI from Oehlbach connected to Volumio/Raspberry Pi.

HE-560_Chord_Mojo.png
I felt the same way comparing the Edition X to the HE560. I liked the 560 more. Especially when you run the 560 on speaker taps. Completely different animal when you feed it insane amounts of current lol.

Dec 12, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #21,055 of 21,171
I felt the same way comparing the Edition X to the HE560. I liked the 560 more. Especially when you run the 560 on speaker taps. Completely different animal when you feed it insane amounts of current lol.
Thing is I enjoy HE-560 and Edition X equally. They just need different amps :slight_smile:
All my current speaker amps are +200-220 Watts, makes me a bit reluctant to testing speaker taps these days. Dont want to blow my planars.

Dec 12, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #21,056 of 21,171
Thing is I enjoy HE-560 and Edition X equally. They just need different amps :slight_smile:
All my current speaker amps are +200-220 Watts, makes me a bit reluctant to testing speaker taps these days. Dont want to blow my planars.
You won't as long as you keep the volume set appropriately. My HE560 (first gen with SMC connectors) was the headphone that inspired me to get Norne Audio to make a speaker tap cable for me for my 180 watt NAD M3. I have since used at least another half dozen headphones via the speaker tap thanks to some short adapters for different cup inputs some as low as 16 Ohm and I have never had an issue, not even a single woopsie moment. It is all about the process. Before I hit play on anything I turn the volume down to a safe low point and turn it up from there. Never fails.

Dec 13, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #21,057 of 21,171
Just purchased the HE560 V4 for the $229 special at Adorama. This is the third time I have bought an HE560, and I'm committed to keeping this one :beyersmile:

Any recommendations for a budget balanced cable for the HE560? Looking for a shorter 1.2 m cable to use with my DAP HiBy R5 Saber with 4.4mm connection. Just need something cheap and off the shelf, not custom.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #21,058 of 21,171
Just purchased the HE560 V4 for the $229 special at Adorama. This is the third time I have bought an HE560, and I'm committed to keeping this one :beyersmile:

Any recommendations for a budget balanced cable for the HE560? Looking for a shorter 1.2 m cable to use with my DAP HiBy R5 Saber with 4.4mm connection. Just need something cheap and off the shelf, not custom.

Congratulations! :beyersmile: These are wonderful headphones. Especially equipped with Focuspad A earpads.
I had HE560 V1.5 (veneer over plastic cups with 2x2.5mm conn.) and HE560 V2 (orange/gray Adorama version with smaller headband strap than V3).
They sounded indentical to me. I loved them both.

Now I am using an old, dark blue HE400 equipped with Focuspad A earpads and a hybrid (Sundara-style) headband.
This is the "darkest" Hifiman headphone I have ever listened to. Still quite neutral though... Wonderful tone, very analog sounding. Very open, but full-bodied sound.

This cable should work for you, just select the 4.4mm version:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264795631661

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #21,059 of 21,171
Congratulations! :beyersmile: These are wonderful headphones. Especially equipped with Focuspad A earpads.
I had HE560 V1.5 (veneer over plastic cups with 2x2.5mm conn.) and HE560 V2 (orange/gray Adorama version with smaller headband strap than V3).
They sounded indentical to me. I loved them both.

Now I am using an old, dark blue HE400 equipped with Focuspad A earpads and a hybrid (Sundara-style) headband.
This is the "darkest" Hifiman headphone I have ever listened to. Still quite neutral though... Wonderful tone, very analog sounding. Very open, but full-bodied sound.

This cable should work for you, just select the 4.4mm version:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264795631661

Yeah, I previously owned I think it was the V3. And then I did buy the V4 previously, but sent them back because I decided I wanted something else. Of course I didn't keep the something else very long, so that was a mistake. lol

That's a very good looking cable. I'll give it a shot. Ordered!

Dec 14, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #21,060 of 21,171
yes and no, they are dark in the upper mids but man they have a lot of mid and upper treble, but overall great headphones with focus pads, excellent resolution from top to bottom, miles ahead of the newer he400i 2020

Users who are viewing this thread

Back