= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Apr 12, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #20,986 of 21,171
If it’s for warranty work (IE trade your broken headphones for a discount), they’ll definitely want the broken product back to make sure no one would scam them out of a discount. If the shipping for the product isn’t worth it in their eyes (IE no parts they can salvage or it’s not worth enough), they’ll normally tell the customer to destroy the product and send photo evidence. I know way back in the day V-Moda, if you had a cable that was broken (like the left or right channel didn’t work), they’d have to cut a cable and send them a photo before they’d send you a replacement. Granted not audio, but someone bought a carbon fiber hood for their Civic that was defective (carbon fiber was delaminating I think). Instead of having the customer send back the hood, they had him saw it in half before they shipped out another one. Realistically, if the customer didn’t saw the hood, they could in theory sell it as well (someone could have it painted).

So in the case of HiFiMan, there are salvageable parts on the broken headphones. We know the right side does work so they have half of the headphone still intact. They could also try to repair themselves. But they simply couldn’t promise a replacement or successful repair since they don’t have parts. But if they could repair it, then that’s a discussion with the customer I guess.
Makes sense

Apr 25, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #20,987 of 21,171
I'm glad to be part of this group. I just bought my first wired hifi headphones, the HiFiMan HE 560 V4. I'm told this needs an amp. I would like to spend $230 or less. Do I also need a dac? I will be running this through my PC for music. I see some people saying use JDS Atom for a good budget amp for this headphone, is that a good choice? I contacted JDS and asked them if it would be a good pair, they said it would and also said I should get the JDS Dac also. What do you guys think it the best Amp, or Amp and Dac for around the $230 price range or less?

Apr 25, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #20,988 of 21,171
I'm glad to be part of this group. I just bought my first wired hifi headphones, the HiFiMan HE 560 V4. I'm told this needs an amp. I would like to spend $230 or less. Do I also need a dac? I will be running this through my PC for music. I see some people saying use JDS Atom for a good budget amp for this headphone, is that a good choice? I contacted JDS and asked them if it would be a good pair, they said it would and also said I should get the JDS Dac also. What do you guys think it the best Amp, or Amp and Dac for around the $230 price range or less?
Zen CAN launch edition with a used $100 dac from ebay either way if you buy Zen CAN find a way to get the iPower adapter

Apr 25, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #20,989 of 21,171
I have the JDS Atom Stack which is the Atom DAC and amp.

May 11, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #20,992 of 21,171
Is there any difference in sound quality from the V1 to the V2? I saw Crinacle had it rated as one of his favorite planars, and stuff he seems to like, is stuff I seem to really enjoy, so that's why I wondered.
To be honest I have no clue what is V1, V2, V3, V4, etc. 😂

May 12, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #20,994 of 21,171
V1 was the solid wood cups w/ smc connectors. V2 was wood laminate plastic cups w/ smc connectors. Imo they're fairly close but for me the V1 was my choice.
V1 was a preproduction sample then. HiFiMan asked for all of those back. I did prefer the full wood models though too.

May 12, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #20,996 of 21,171
To be honest I have no clue what is V1, V2, V3, V4, etc. 😂
Notes...

HiFiMan HE560 v1-v3

2019 May 28

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...cussion-thread.711824/page-1378#post-14978690
Version 1: quite rare, wood cup, SMC jack, focus-a pads
Version 2: wood veneer, SMC jack, focus pads
Version 3: wood veneer, 2.5mm jack, focus pads (iirc some have back plate, some don't, so could be considered version 3.1)
Version 4: no veneer, 3.5mm jack, focus pads
Above is what I can remember reading this thread over the years, please correct missing/wrong info

2019 Jan 19
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...cussion-thread.711824/page-1370#post-14728303
Fully agree with that, I have read an interview with Hifiman, where I found explanation to every revision of HE-560, from 1 to 3, Totally, every revision has the same driver, the difference only in materials and construction, but again, that does not representing in sound quality CHANGES

2019 Jan 14
HiFiMan v1: SMC connectors, backplate, wooden cups, plastic yokes, basically unavailable these days.
HiFiMan v2: 2.5mm connectors, no backplate, wooden cups, plastic yokes, slightly revoiced, about $300 in the US.
Adorama v2/v3: 3.5mm connectors, no backplate, plastic cups, metal yokes, major revoicing (according to many), price varies but around $300 on sale.
Differences between these two very close models detailed in a post below.

Get the v2. That's the easiest to find, usually the cheapest, and it's the one that people are talking about when they talk about the 560.
Meaning, reviews and user impressions will be more accurate. They are also said to sound better than the v3, from what I've read.
Well, they have different peaks, from what I've found out.
400i at 8 Khz, and 560 at 4 KHz.
I plan to listen to the version I am buying before paying for it. But in my city, in shops, we have only wooden cups version with 2.5 mm jacks available for auditioning (not for purchase as the price is ridiculous). While the version I am planning to buy is Amazon V2 version, which I guess is the metal headband version and is different in sound.
That is a problem. Guess I have to look for a wooden cups version to buy in order to avoid an unknown sound. That sucks as I wanted to have a metal band version.
2019 Jan 15
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...cussion-thread.711824/page-1369#post-14719330

HiFiMan v1: SMC connectors, backplate, wooden cups, plastic yokes, basically unavailable these days.
HiFiMan v2: 2.5mm connectors, no backplate, wooden cups, plastic yokes, slightly revoiced, about $300 in the US.
Adorama v2/v3: 3.5mm connectors, no backplate, plastic cups, metal yokes, major revoicing (according to many), price varies but around $300 on sale. Differences between these two very close models detailed in a post below.

Get the v2. That's the easiest to find, usually the cheapest, and it's the one that people are talking about when they talk about the 560. Meaning, reviews and user impressions will be more accurate. They are also said to sound better than the v3, from what I've read.

Thank you very much for a detailed reply! I'll try to make a table in Google Docs for it. )
What about new version from HIFIMAN that has 3.5 mm jacks?

May 12, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #20,997 of 21,171
Notes...

HiFiMan HE560 v1-v3

2019 May 28

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...cussion-thread.711824/page-1378#post-14978690
Version 1: quite rare, wood cup, SMC jack, focus-a pads
Version 2: wood veneer, SMC jack, focus pads
Version 3: wood veneer, 2.5mm jack, focus pads (iirc some have back plate, some don't, so could be considered version 3.1)
Version 4: no veneer, 3.5mm jack, focus pads
Above is what I can remember reading this thread over the years, please correct missing/wrong info

2019 Jan 19
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...cussion-thread.711824/page-1370#post-14728303
Fully agree with that, I have read an interview with Hifiman, where I found explanation to every revision of HE-560, from 1 to 3, Totally, every revision has the same driver, the difference only in materials and construction, but again, that does not representing in sound quality CHANGES

2019 Jan 14
Adorama v2/v3: 3.5mm connectors, no backplate, plastic cups, metal yokes, major revoicing (according to many), price varies but around $300 on sale.
Differences between these two very close models detailed in a post below.

Get the v2. That's the easiest to find, usually the cheapest, and it's the one that people are talking about when they talk about the 560.
Meaning, reviews and user impressions will be more accurate. They are also said to sound better than the v3, from what I've read.
Well, they have different peaks, from what I've found out.
400i at 8 Khz, and 560 at 4 KHz.
I plan to listen to the version I am buying before paying for it. But in my city, in shops, we have only wooden cups version with 2.5 mm jacks available for auditioning (not for purchase as the price is ridiculous). While the version I am planning to buy is Amazon V2 version, which I guess is the metal headband version and is different in sound.
That is a problem. Guess I have to look for a wooden cups version to buy in order to avoid an unknown sound. That sucks as I wanted to have a metal band version.
2019 Jan 15
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...cussion-thread.711824/page-1369#post-14719330

Thank you very much for a detailed reply! I'll try to make a table in Google Docs for it. )
What about new version from HIFIMAN that has 3.5 mm jacks?
Wait, when you say wooden cups above, do you mean wooden veneer over plastic cups? HiFiMan made a full-wooden cup model with SMC connectors as a preproduction sample. I'd argue that would be labeled V0. HiFiMan had asked for all of those back though as they revised the design to be plastic with wood veneer over it. Mine are probably V1 from your list then. Though I was debating getting V2 since the 2.5mm connectors are much better to deal with than SMC.

May 12, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #20,998 of 21,171
V1 was the solid wood cups w/ smc connectors. V2 was wood laminate plastic cups w/ smc connectors. Imo they're fairly close but for me the V1 was my choice

V1 was the solid wood cups w/ smc connectors. V2 was wood laminate plastic cups w/ smc connectors. Imo they're fairly close but for me the V1 was my choice.
Mine too Sam. ( s'up?)Still like that magnepan delivery. So easy to listen to when properly amped.

May 12, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #20,999 of 21,171
Mine too Sam. ( s'up?)Still like that magnepan delivery. So easy to listen to when properly amped.
Holy schiit! What is up bro? Wow! Really happy to see you on here man! Lol.

Hope all is well with you and your family.
Still rolling tubes like a nut 🤪

On the Mjolnir 2 impressions thread 😂

Really glad to see you bro! Wish @ThurstonX would pop in at some point.

:beerchug:

May 12, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #21,000 of 21,171
Holy schiit! What is up bro? Wow! Really happy to see you on here man! Lol.

Hope all is well with you and your family.
Still rolling tubes like a nut 🤪

On the Mjolnir 2 impressions thread 😂

Really glad to see you bro! Wish @ThurstonX would pop in at some point.

:beerchug:
Yeah, got single., built a 2 channel set up. Started back on hps a bit now. Glad to see ur still at it. No more tubes for me. Cayin i-ha6 and tons of tubes for my dac. Still 2c51s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back