= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 10, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #20,866 of 21,171
Clarity definitely seems improved. Tonality too. Before this pad swap, the 560 and 400i sounded like completely different headphones to me. I bought the 560 because I liked the 400i. But the 400i lacked treble and deep bass. To me, they were all midrange (despite the slightly recessed vocals). They also suffered from some sibilance. I wanted the 400i, but better. And that's what I have now with the VOCE pads.

I also just received a pair of FocusPad-A. Might do a comparison.

Interesting. That's exactly why I bought the 560! The 400i is very good, but the sub-bass roll-off and polite treble were a let-down. I got the 560s and immediately realized I wouldn't ever listen to the 400i again. So, I experimented with some pads. The Dekonis raised the sub-bass a little and helped with clarity, but it wasn't quite enough. The Oris really helped the sub-bass, so I went with those and put the Dekonis on the 560. Now my 400is are exceptionally comfortable and veer toward the bassy side, but with better clarity. I've never liked the look or feel of the stock pads, but after the pad swap I realized there are better options for sound too.

Jun 11, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #20,867 of 21,171
But the 400i lacked treble and deep bass. To me, they were all midrange (despite the slightly recessed vocals). They also suffered from some sibilance
That's an interesting take because from my experience, they were upper-midrange to treble focused - hence the ability for some tracks to be sibilant on them. Did you mean to say they lack treble extension?

The bass quantity wasn't also to my liking. They were pretty lean from mid-bass and lower. Their soundstage was also cramped like not even past my shoulders type of width and instrument separation was ok to put it nicely. But they were fun tuning and I liked them a lot for the time I had them. They were kind of my entry point to other big players in the <$1k price range.

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #20,868 of 21,171
That's an interesting take because from my experience, they were upper-midrange to treble focused - hence the ability for some tracks to be sibilant on them. Did you mean to say they lack treble extension?

The bass quantity wasn't also to my liking. They were pretty lean from mid-bass and lower. Their soundstage was also cramped like not even past my shoulders type of width and instrument separation was ok to put it nicely. But they were fun tuning and I liked them a lot for the time I had them. They were kind of my entry point to other big players in the <$1k price range.
I would definitely say that my 400i lacked treble extension. As for the sibilance, it never occurred with classical music or even most vocals only in really compressed pop music. At its price point, the 400i were actually a really good choice for classical IMO. They had a sweet tone that I found to be markedly non-fatiguing except in the few cases where the sibilance kicked in.

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #20,869 of 21,171
I would definitely say that my 400i lacked treble extension. As for the sibilance, it never occurred with classical music or even most vocals only in really compressed pop music. At its price point, the 400i were actually a really good choice for classical IMO. They had a sweet tone that I found to be markedly non-fatiguing except in the few cases where the sibilance kicked in.
I think its because the 400i is just hard to drive, so when you dont feed those enough power, these will sound thin and have sibilance.
Similar story with the 560.

Jun 20, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #20,870 of 21,171
I think its because the 400i is just hard to drive, so when you dont feed those enough power, these will sound thin and have sibilance.
Similar story with the 560.
Even after several years, I've never experienced sibilance on my 560, even on the two tracks (PHILOSOPHY [Baio] and Light My Body Up [Nicki Minaj]) that used to kill my ears on the 400i. I don't amp the 560 either, just plug it into my MBP's headphone jack (with an adapter). The 560 sounds great even without an amp and can be driven to volumes that are already too loud for safe listening. I'm not saying they don't improve with the right amp but they don't require it to sound good. The only thing that annoyed me about these headphones was the slightly strident treble but that was cured by taking the grill off and swapping the stock pads for the VOCE.

Jun 22, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #20,871 of 21,171
Is it still valuable to get a new HE560 v2 under $500? I remembered someone here drove his 560 with NFB-1AMP quite well, so I believe its single-end brother C-2 amp will power 560 well (Both of these amps are designed to power HE-6). If I stick with hifiman at the $400-$600 range, both HE560 and edition xx are considerable.

Jun 22, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #20,872 of 21,171
Is it still valuable to get a new HE560 v2 under $500? I remembered someone here drove his 560 with NFB-1AMP quite well, so I believe its single-end brother C-2 amp will power 560 well (Both of these amps are designed to power HE-6). If I stick with hifiman at the $400-$600 range, both HE560 and edition xx are considerable.

Yes, I think it is. In terms of sound, the 560 stills hold up alongside some of the best cans under 1k. In particular, the LCD-2C, Elex, or Ananda. Choosing one among them ends up being a very subjective choice with no way to lose. On the other hand, the build quality of the 560 is completely outclassed by the 2C or Elex. How much that bothers you, if at all, is just a matter of preference. But weighing all that stuff, 500 is a good price. Not phenomenal, but good. The price to keep in mind is that a Sundara goes for $350 these days. It's got a sturdier build, but doesn't sound quite as good.

Jun 22, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #20,873 of 21,171
At the top of your budget is an open box Ananda. All I listened to for 2 years is the 560, and I can tell you that the Ananda is a full step up in performance. But the 560 is no slouch either. I loved my 560, but don't miss it much with the Ananda on hand. I had the Sundara also, the 560 is better, more refined.

Jun 25, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #20,874 of 21,171
I just got an ESP/95X and man do I appreciate the 560 more than ever. Just as I find that, despite what people say, you don't need to amp the 560, I also find that you don't need a good seal on the ear cups. On the contrary. I'm not tuning these for bass slam but for string instruments, and I find that if you bend the headband out so that the cups don't clamp down as hard but sort of sit lightly against your skin--if you do this, I find that comfort, tonality, and soundstage all improve.

To sum up:

-remove the grilles
-change the ear pads (I'm using the VOCE)
-bend the metal frame to reduce clamp force

Those three modifications significantly improve the HE560 for classical. But note that there are risks to removing the grilles as well as bending the metal frame. Do these mods only if you are willing to break something to improve the sound. I had to buy a new headband because I broke the last one. Well worth it though as I finally got the sound that I want.

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #20,875 of 21,171
I just got an ESP/95X and man do I appreciate the 560 more than ever. Just as I find that, despite what people say, you don't need to amp the 560, I also find that you don't need a good seal on the ear cups. On the contrary. I'm not tuning these for bass slam but for string instruments, and I find that if you bend the headband out so that the cups don't clamp down as hard but sort of sit lightly against your skin--if you do this, I find that comfort, tonality, and soundstage all improve.

To sum up:

-remove the grilles
-change the ear pads (I'm using the VOCE)
-bend the metal frame to reduce clamp force

Those three modifications significantly improve the HE560 for classical. But note that there are risks to removing the grilles as well as bending the metal frame. Do these mods only if you are willing to break something to improve the sound. I had to buy a new headband because I broke the last one. Well worth it though as I finally got the sound that I want.

Removing material from behind the drivers may result in sloppy bass with more open soundstage, but what does removing the grills accomplish?

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #20,878 of 21,171
In Sundara, the middle range is better developed than in 560. Otherwise, it’s a matter of taste preferences. I like the sound of 560s more, than Ananda.

Me too, although, it is pretty close. The 560 doesn't have the smoothest treble and the mids are a bit recessed from what I'd prefer, but the soft macrodynamics and lack of depth to the soundstage on the Ananda are not worth the improvement in tone for me. I've heard that there's a silent revision for the Ananda which helps in those regards, but I don't know if that's actually true.

Jun 27, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #20,879 of 21,171
I've heard that there's a silent revision for the Ananda which helps in those regards, but I don't know if that's actually true.
Well, I own Ananda almost for a year, and to be honest, I’ve listen Sundara more often, very like it. And I regret that I sold my 560s, and made an upgrade to Ananda.
Although, personal experience is the most valuable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back