= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 27, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #19,937 of 21,175
How do these sound up against the 500's?
I've been on the fence between these two.

I've been looking for something more energetic and fun rather than analytical.

Sort of subjective terms there, but in my opinion the 560 is analytical. It has a very clear, accurate, detailed, fast sound. Even with moderate EQ, it does not have especially hard-hitting bass or a warm lush sound. If you are looking for fun, at least in the way I think of it, I would go with a dynamic driver. The E-MU Teak is a great choice for whomping bass and good clarity otherwise, sort of an L-shape signature. The Nightowl is good for a lush, warmer sound.

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #19,938 of 21,175
How do these sound up against the 500's?
I've been on the fence between these two.

I've been looking for something more energetic and fun rather than analytical.

I've not heard the 560 v2, but the v1. Not even close. A HE-500 in good shape is better. Less annoying in the treble, with more detail, energetic, and magical at times in the mids. Bass is more opinion. 500 goes lower, but, can be under damped at times (less so run balanced into a potent SS amp. HE-500 has had a bit of a resurgence on the used market the last 4-6 months too, attesting to its lasting value. The 560 has been tumbling by comparison.

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #19,939 of 21,175
Just go straight for 500 or 560 if that's the case

The poster asked for an opinion of one vs the other. They are not very similar.

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #19,941 of 21,175
Sort of subjective terms there, but in my opinion the 560 is analytical. It has a very clear, accurate, detailed, fast sound. Even with moderate EQ, it does not have especially hard-hitting bass or a warm lush sound. If you are looking for fun, at least in the way I think of it, I would go with a dynamic driver. The E-MU Teak is a great choice for whomping bass and good clarity otherwise, sort of an L-shape signature. The Nightowl is good for a lush, warmer sound.

The 560 sounds more like a Senn, but that spike in the treble is very annoying. The HE-500 is a budget version from an all time great - the HE-6 - so they say.

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #19,942 of 21,175

Are you referencing the HE560 V1 or V2? They apparently sound quite different.

I frequently see people referring to accentuated bass as "fun". I like bass but for me headphones that exaggerate the bass are anything but fun. I've had more than one headphone ruin the experience with thumping bass. For me "fun" are headphones that are spacious, with great clarity and definition that make instruments sound like they are in the room with you. Now that is fun if you are interested in active rather than passive listening.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #19,943 of 21,175
I don't find the V2 to be that analytical at all....sure, it has good detail retrieval but I would characterize it as smooth, with more emphasis on mid-range than treble. The bass is pretty good though. I think sometimes people forget that planars often require quite a bit of power to realize their full potential, and the V2 is no exception. The bass improves considerably the more power you feed the headphone. The V2 can have a full and rich sound with the proper amplification.

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #19,944 of 21,175
Are you referencing the HE560 V1 or V2? They apparently sound quite different.

I frequently see people referring to accentuated bass as "fun". I like bass but for me headphones that exaggerate the bass are anything but fun. I've had more than one headphone ruin the experience with thumping bass. For me "fun" are headphones that are spacious, with great clarity and definition that make instruments sound like they are in the room with you. Now that is fun if you are interested in active rather than passive listening.

The V1.1, I suppose. I kinda agree with your definition of 'fun.' 'Fun' to me means lots of energy and punch, whereas overly warm or relaxed headphones sound dull and bloated flabby bass is awful.

It is sort of a weird term anyway. Aren't all good sounding headphones fun?

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #19,945 of 21,175
...It is sort of a weird term anyway. Aren't all good sounding headphones fun?
Not the first word I would use to describe Utopia sound.

Jul 27, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #19,946 of 21,175
I don't find the V2 to be that analytical at all....sure, it has good detail retrieval but I would characterize it as smooth, with more emphasis on mid-range than treble. The bass is pretty good though. I think sometimes people forget that planars often require quite a bit of power to realize their full potential, and the V2 is no exception. The bass improves considerably the more power you feed the headphone. The V2 can have a full and rich sound with the proper amplification.

Just curious, what are you using to power them. My V2s are coming soon and I'm not sure yet if my magni 3 stack will be good enough. I was looking at possibly selling and getting the Jot, as I've heard its better. I'm not the best at amp/dac pairing

Jul 27, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #19,947 of 21,175
good sounding
That's very subjective and varies person to person.

Some prefer flat and analytical headphones (like HD600's)
Some prefer punchy and energetic headphones (like HE-500's)
And some people prefer head thumbing (more like room shaking) bass in a headphone (like sz2000's)
*cough*

*cough*

And guess what? They all sound good...
But good to who? Whoever bought them.

If you give someone who bought HE-500's HD600's, I guarantee you they would say that the HE's sound better.
And if you give someone who bought sz2000's, HE-500's, they would prefer sz2000's.

But does it make any of these headphones bad?
No, they all sound good, but different kinds of types people prefer different kinds of headphones. There is a reason they bought one pair over another because they bought the one has the characteristics that they're looking for.
Even if you have thousands of different pairs of headphones, no matter what, there will always be one you prefer over the rest. Does it make the rest bad? Absolutely not.

TL;DR
Everyone has different tastes.

Jul 27, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #19,948 of 21,175
Why are you explaining to me the exact point I just made?

Jul 27, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #19,950 of 21,175
Because not all good sounding headphones are fun.
One person might think it's good and fun, but someone else doesn't.

It all comes down to what sound signature you prefer.

I guess I missed that since you never mentioned the word 'fun' in your long post. Seems like you were just lecturing me on people have different taste, which is a truism.

Anyhow, it wasn't a serious question or a serious point I was making. 'Good' and 'fun' are too subjective to be very meaningful or helpful, is all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back